Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Well here's the data, now what?

Stanford researchers found that black and Latino drivers were stopped more often than white drivers, based on less evidence of wrongdoing.
190313-police-traffic-stops-study-kh_b5860e0c3428d3fe0b1c33773cca14f9.fit-760w.jpg

Jasjyot Singh Hans / for NBC News
March 13, 2019, 10:00 AM PDT
By Erik Ortiz

Three years ago, an unmarked police car tailed Richard Jackson into an alley behind his home on Chicago's West Side and pulled him over. Jackson, a black Navy veteran, had become used to being stopped by police for what he believed was no reason since returning to Illinois from the military in 2012.

But this time was different. After an officer ran his driver's license, then said he was free to go, Jackson pointedly asked what he had done wrong. The officer, who is white, said Jackson had cut him off, which Jackson denied. The officer then issued Jackson citations for failing to yield at a left turn and stop sign, which Jackson also denied.

Although the officer did not allude to Jackson's race, the veteran believed that was why he was stopped. He successfully fought the two citations and filed a complaint with the Chicago police.

190707-richard-jackson-al-0742_7a680137d12eae7c45da45f721d86035.fit-760w.jpg

Richard Jackson filed a complaint after a 2016 traffic stop.Richard Jackson
"With this racial profiling — I'm not just going to roll over," Jackson, 36, said.

The Chicago police did not respond to a request for comment.

Jackson's encounter with the Chicago police reflects the experiences of people of color across the country, who describe being stopped and searched by officers without a good reason. Like Jackson, many believe their race played a role.

Now, Stanford University researchers have compiled the most comprehensive evidence to date suggesting there is a pattern of racial disparities in traffic stops. The researchers provided NBC News with the traffic-stop data — the largest such dataset ever collected — which points to pervasive inequality in how police decide to stop and search white and minority drivers.

Using information obtained through public record requests, the Stanford Open Policing Project examined almost 100 million traffic stops conducted from 2011 to 2017 across 21 state patrol agencies, including California, Illinois, New York and Texas, and 29 municipal police departments, including New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and St. Paul, Minnesota.

The results show that police stopped and searched black and Latino drivers on the basis of less evidence than used in stopping white drivers, who are searched less often but are more likely to be found with illegal items. The study does not set out to conclude whether officers knowingly engaged in racial discrimination, but uses a more nuanced analysis of traffic stop data to infer that race is a factor when people are pulled over — and that it's occuring across the country.

"Because of this analysis, we're able to get to that anecdotal story to say this is really happening," said Sharad Goel, an assistant professor in management science and engineering at Stanford and a co-author of the study.

Stanford researchers found that black and Latino drivers were stopped more often than white drivers, based on less evidence of wrongdoing.
190313-police-traffic-stops-study-kh_b5860e0c3428d3fe0b1c33773cca14f9.fit-760w.jpg

By Erik Ortiz

Three years ago, an unmarked police car tailed Richard Jackson into an alley behind his home on Chicago's West Side and pulled him over. Jackson, a black Navy veteran, had become used to being stopped by police for what he believed was no reason since returning to Illinois from the military in 2012.

But this time was different. After an officer ran his driver's license, then said he was free to go, Jackson pointedly asked what he had done wrong. The officer, who is white, said Jackson had cut him off, which Jackson denied. The officer then issued Jackson citations for failing to yield at a left turn and stop sign, which Jackson also denied.

Although the officer did not allude to Jackson's race, the veteran believed that was why he was stopped. He successfully fought the two citations and filed a complaint with the Chicago police.

"With this racial profiling — I'm not just going to roll over," Jackson, 36, said.

Jackson's encounter with the Chicago police reflects the experiences of people of color across the country, who describe being stopped and searched by officers without a good reason. Like Jackson, many believe their race played a role.

Now, Stanford University researchers have compiled the most comprehensive evidence to date suggesting there is a pattern of racial disparities in traffic stops. The researchers provided NBC News with the traffic-stop data — the largest such dataset ever collected — which points to pervasive inequality in how police decide to stop and search white and minority drivers.

Using information obtained through public record requests, the Stanford Open Policing Project examined almost 100 million traffic stops conducted from 2011 to 2017 across 21 state patrol agencies, including California, Illinois, New York and Texas, and 29 municipal police departments, including New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and St. Paul, Minnesota.

The results show that police stopped and searched black and Latino drivers on the basis of less evidence than used in stopping white drivers, who are searched less often but are more likely to be found with illegal items. The study does not set out to conclude whether officers knowingly engaged in racial discrimination, but uses a more nuanced analysis of traffic stop data to infer that race is a factor when people are pulled over — and that it's occuring across the country.

"Because of this analysis, we're able to get to that anecdotal story to say this is really happening," said Sharad Goel, an assistant professor in management science and engineering at Stanford and a co-author of the study.

When the southern White Democrats of the south(KKK like Robert Byrd) were pissing off the blacks by having fire hoses and dogs let loose on them, the black attitudes instead of following Martin Luther King's wish that the protests would be peaceful, the blacks got an attitude and got really violent, thus burning down cities, and killing other blacks. Then the blacks capped an attitude that since they were black, could do anything they wanted, because all they had to do is use the race card, and again get away with theft, rape, or murder, and the likes of Jessie Jackson or Al-Jazeera Sharpton would come to their aid. Thus the identity politics, had more black people being targeted for being super predators(as the Clintons and Joe Biden called them) and the police started profiling blacks. Yet today, dumbass black people voted for Hillary, and if Good Ole Joe(put them back in chains) Biden runs against President Trump, who has brought black unemployment to an all time low, more blacks will vote for the very person who called them super predators. Sorry , but when you are very stupid, you wont find much sympathy, from the intelligent people, who dont vote for the Democrats.

Why Hillary's Super-Predator Comment Matters | HuffPost
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...unt-him/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2669655506ed

When the southern White Democrats of the south(KKK like Robert Byrd) were pissing off the blacks by having fire hoses and dogs let loose on them, the black attitudes instead of following Martin Luther King's wish that the protests would be peaceful, the blacks got an attitude and got really violent, thus burning down cities, and killing other blacks. Then the blacks capped an attitude that since they were black, could do anything they wanted, because all they had to do is use the race card, and again get away with theft, rape, or murder, and the likes of Jessie Jackson or Al-Jazeera Sharpton would come to their aid. Thus the identity politics, had more black people being targeted for being super predators(as the Clintons and Joe Biden called them) and the police started profiling blacks. Yet today, dumbass black people voted for Hillary, and if Good Ole Joe(put them back in chains) Biden runs against President Trump, who has brought black unemployment to an all time low, more blacks will vote for the very person who called them super predators. Sorry , but when you are very stupid, you wont find much sympathy, from the intelligent people, who dont vote for the Democrats.
What does your comment have to do with the data that has been obtained proving racial bias and profiling in police traffic stops?

#TheLargerIssue #SingleParenting #ChildNeglectMaltreatment #MentalHealth #Solutions

Back in the day when I was a uniform and plainclothes cop serving the embattled Brooklyn, NY neighborhoods where apparent or admitted suicidal, homicidal thinking Shawn Carter, Christopher Wallace and their GUN TOTING crews peddled life sapping drugs to their depressed neighbors, regardless of their self-harming neighbor's AGE, physical, emotional or MATERNAL condition, most all motorists I detained were black American or foreign born citizens.

Thinking back, I'm guessing about a third were Felony Car Stops where police guns were drawn, great caution employed, and sometimes loud crude street language was used to alert the suspect(s) we meant business.

Quite a few times I threatened to use DPF, aka shoot, a motorist/suspect refusing to comply with my lawful order to place his or her hands where I can see them.

Frankly, I can't think of many cops who got their rocks off pulling guns on fellow citizens.

Though you have to keep in mind officers serving 'young' Biggie's and Jay Z's neighborhoods would respond to an average of three 911 reports of SHOTS FIRED during typical 1600x2400 and 1800x 0200 tours.

I'm not fibbing when stating a few times a week I would hear the hair raising sound of nearby or distant gunfire echoing through the residential neighborhoods we patrolled. On a rare occasion we'd actually witness homicidal, suicidal thinking knuckleheads firing shots at one another.

Due to tour changes for court and other mandated daytime appearances, at least four times a month I slept in the precinct dorm instead of driving home to my neighborhood where I NEVER hear the bone-chilling sounds of gunfire and rarely hear a police siren.

Hearing the sound of gunfire as I tried to sleep, I quickly learned to use the bottom bunk directly under the window so there a thick wall between me and the outside world, and less chance of being struck by a ricocheting projectile should one come speeding through the dorm window.

One night while I was sleeping in the dorm, four folks were gunned down inside a home located about 150 yards from where I was sleeping.

Another time I was signing out at about 3:30 PM (broad daylight) when I heard a loud ka-boom outside the precinct. I looked out the window in time to see a young dude about eighteen-years old stuffing what looked like a sawed-off shotgun down his pajama type pants. Turns out he had a beef with a girl living next to the 79 Pct. and decided to let her know he was REALLY ticked.

As I recall, the dude's family decided to hire a lawyer who called me, the only witness to the crimes his client was charged with, to testify during a preliminary hearing. I'm guessing he probably wishes he hadn't cause I never saw or heard from him again after the hearing. I also recall Judge Firetog admonishing the young defense attorney for badgering the witness, me. That was a fun hearing, I loved when attorney's tried to get under my skin. :)

There are two points I'm making here. The first is, when serving communities populated mostly by black or American citizens of African descent, for the most part, cops aren't going to be detaining non-black motorists.

The second larger point is, I'm sorry our ever-evolving, imperfect Nation's generational THUGLIFE Culture of Child Abuse has caused large numbers of black American kids to mature into hateful, sometimes violent citizens lacking respect, empathy and compassion for their peaceful or less fortunate neighbors.

I'm even sadder large numbers of our Nation's most precious and cherished assets, THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, experience a traumatic, potentially life scarring childhood and teen upbringing fraught with Struggles, PAIN, Hardships, COMMUNITY FEAR, Frustrations, Uncertainty, Depression, Sorrow, Sadness, Torment, Demeaning Government Handouts, Resentment, HATE and COMMUNITY VIOLENCE!

However, Keeping it REAL, until ALL AMERICANS grow some hair on their butts and begin identifying the large population of SELFISH, immature, incompetent, apathetic American moms responsible for creating our Nation's THUGLIFE Culture of HATE and Child Abuse, I will guarantee you the image of black or brown complected citizens is not going to improve.

If anyone has a problem with me picking on black women, please keep in mind unlike President and Mrs. Obama's friends and WH guests, I have never composed or promoted Rap music hatefully denigrating girls and women as less than human creatures and HOES, THOTS or RATCHET females undeserving of being treated with basic human respect.

Dr Nadine Burke Harris youth wellness_02.png

Peace.

Attachments

• _Belinda Pittman-McGee Oprah Winfrey_02.jpg
    _Belinda Pittman-McGee Oprah Winfrey_02.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 142
  • gang members OPRAH.jpg
    gang members OPRAH.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 157
Police officers are human beings, and human beings who are paying attention know that blacks and Hispanics commit more crime per capita then white people do.

Police officers are human beings, and human beings who are paying attention know that blacks and Hispanics commit more crime per capita then white people do.

New Jersey was going to prove racial bias once and for all. What they did prove is that blacks and Latinos break the law more than whites.

Study Suggests Racial Gap In Speeding In New Jersey
You all are as evil as your predecessors. That includes you too Mr. Funny Godboy.

Records Show New Jersey Police Withheld Data on Race Profiling
By DAVID BARSTOW and DAVID KOCIENIEWSKIOCT. 12, 2000

Until 1999, the New Jersey State Police flatly denied that troopers engaged in racial profiling. But as early as 1996, the agency's own internal audits had turned up evidence of widespread profiling along the New Jersey Turnpike, newly released police records show.

Despite that evidence, senior commanders rejected aggressive steps to end the problem, the documents show, and instead pursued a strategy of withholding information from federal civil rights prosecutors.

The apparent abuses revealed by the audits were so glaring that the chief of internal affairs for the State Police recommended creating a formal ''racial monitoring program'' that would have subjected troopers who stopped high numbers of minority drivers to counseling and discipline. But the superintendent of the State Police rejected the idea.

''No!'' the superintendent, Col. Carl A. Williams, wrote on an October 1996 memorandum proposing the monitoring program. Two months later, confronted by a United States Department of Justice inquiry, he and his staff began a campaign of damage control, the documents show.

Whites commit more crime per crime than every body else.

Tipsycat is a real estate agent. So when we say that racism exists in housing, she proves that we are right.

By Erik Ortiz

Why Hillary's Super-Predator Comment Matters | HuffPost
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...unt-him/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2669655506ed

You are a dumb ass. Trump has done nothing for blacks. Hillary didn't call blacks super predators and apparently Trump felt that way since he decided to go on that crusade to make New York execute some blacks even after they were proven innocent by a confession.

New Jersey was going to prove racial bias once and for all. What they did prove is that blacks and Latinos break the law more than whites.

You all are as evil as your predecessors. That includes you too Mr. Funny Godboy.

Until 1999, the New Jersey State Police flatly denied that troopers engaged in racial profiling. But as early as 1996, the agency's own internal audits had turned up evidence of widespread profiling along the New Jersey Turnpike, newly released police records show.

Despite that evidence, senior commanders rejected aggressive steps to end the problem, the documents show, and instead pursued a strategy of withholding information from federal civil rights prosecutors.

The apparent abuses revealed by the audits were so glaring that the chief of internal affairs for the State Police recommended creating a formal ''racial monitoring program'' that would have subjected troopers who stopped high numbers of minority drivers to counseling and discipline. But the superintendent of the State Police rejected the idea.

''No!'' the superintendent, Col. Carl A. Williams, wrote on an October 1996 memorandum proposing the monitoring program. Two months later, confronted by a United States Department of Justice inquiry, he and his staff began a campaign of damage control, the documents show.

Who is the Gov of New Jersey? Who is the representative of New Jersey. Democrats. Dumbasses like you, continue to vote for the very people who hate your stinking guts. All the rest of US, who have no power other than the vote, cant do shit about what the Democrats do. Liberalism is a mental disorder, and you keep proving it, with you racial hate filled rants....

Who is the Gov of New Jersey? Who is the representative of New Jersey. Democrats. Dumbasses like you, continue to vote for the very people who hate your stinking guts. All the rest of US, who have no power other than the vote, cant do shit about what the Democrats do. Liberalism is a mental disorder, and you keep proving it, with you racial hate filled rants....
You've got no room to be calling anyone a dumbass when you come out swinging and denigrating people based on a bunch of erroneous assumptions starting with my party affliation which besides being one of your damn business, you got wrong.

Nothing you've stated however has anything to do with the article I posted or the second article indicating DOCUMENTED racial profiling and bias in law enforcement traffic stops. But that's generally what happens when a person can't dispute the evidence before them, they start casting asperstions on the people presenting the evidence which exposes the wrong doing to detract from their inability to produce a counter argument.

Last edited:

New Jersey has just got rid of a republican governor. Chris Christie.

You idiots keep repeating this lie. We don't vote republican because places like this and people like you show us that we shouldn't. Republicans are responsible for crashing the national economy. Understand?

In January 1964, Lyndon Baines Johnson declared "unconditional war on poverty in America." Since then, the taxpayers have spent $22 trillion on Johnson's war. Adjusted for inflation, that's three times the cost of all military wars since the American Revolution.

We should spend more money to stop poverty than fighting wars. Now try dividing your lie by 55 and you'll see that we spend less on stopping poverty than preparing for war.

You've got no room to be calling anyone a dumbass when you come out swinging and denigrating people based on a bunch of erroneous assumptions starting with my party affliation which besides being one of your damn business, you got wrong.

Nothing you've stated however has anything to do with the article I posted or the second article indicating DOCUMENTED racial profiling and bias in law enforcement traffic stops. But that's generally what happens when a person can't dispute the evidence before them, they start casting asperstions on the people presenting the evidence which exposes the wrong doing to detract from their inability to produce a counter argument.
You didnt answer the question about who is in charge of New Jersey and made the laws of New Jersey that has police profiling blacks, who do more crime per capita than white people do. I have stated many times before on this site, that my friends many who are black, have moved away from victim"Hood" of liberalism and using their God given gifts have excelled in business and have become quite wealthy. They dont go out of their way to be targeted by police but are civil in their actions instead of being belligerent with the men in blue and then getting tossed in jail as we see with the black who follow the liberals. So continue to vote for Democrats who use your vote for power then throw you back onto the plantation till the next election cycle where they will use you again.

Stephen A. Smith wants every black American to vote Republican in one election
Morgan Freeman: Race Is An Excuse For Income Inequality

You didnt answer the question about who is in charge of New Jersey and made the laws of New Jersey that has police profiling blacks, who do more crime per capita than white people do. I have stated many times before on this site, that my friends many who are black, have moved away from victim"Hood" of liberalism and using their God given gifts have excelled in business and have become quite wealthy. They dont go out of their way to be targeted by police but are civil in their actions instead of being belligerent with the men in blue and then getting tossed in jail as we see with the black who follow the liberals. So continue to vote for Democrats who use your vote for power then throw you back onto the plantation till the next election cycle where they will use you again.

Are you really this stupid or just an asshole? I've told you repeatedly that I am not a Democrat therefore the rest of your comments based upon your belief that I am are rendered moot.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Are you really this stupid or just an asshole? I've told you repeatedly that I am not a Democrat therefore the rest of your comments based upon your belief that I am are rendered moot.

Both.

Forum List

Back