reading about slavery enrages me

DEATH TOLL FROM THE SLAVE TRADE

The largest slave trade in the history of the world was created by white Christian Europeans. Before it was over as many as 60 million Africans would be killed for the profit of white Christian imperialism. A key reason for the high death toll was the tidal wave of war and desolation that the slave trade unleashed into the heart of Africa. Huge numbers of people died being marched to the coasts of Africa from the interior as well as in an endless series of wars produced by the quest for new slaves. Millions more would die in concentration camps at both ends of the sea journey, and significant numbers would die due to the appalling conditions on the slave ships.

The financial profits of this slave trade helped build the economic foundations of America. It was not just the south. Northern business interests made huge profits too.
It is difficult to estimate the exact death toll that resulted from the transatlantic slave trade. There weren't exactly people measuring these numbers at the time. What we looked at are historical estimates of how many people may have died in capture, during the voyage at sea, and due to disease, starvation and back breaking labor in the New World. But what is certain is that the slave trade was a genocide against the African people. The transatlantic slave trade was also the largest, long distance coerced movement of people in history.

The estimate of the number killed during the transatlantic slave trade varies anywhere between 6-150 million. The official UN estimate is 17 million (UN). However, we ourselves would be inclined to agree the figure of 60 million, given all the variables here, including the fact that during the entire period of the slave trade, Africa's population did not increase. Some may argue that this is because Europe had advanced medicine and technology, while Africans didn't. Yet during this era Asia wasn't exactly at a sophisticated, technological level either. But their population nearly doubled. We believe the stagnation of Africa's population is a byproduct of the transatlantic slave trade.

The number of lives lost in the procurement of slaves remains a mystery, but according to the author of American Holocaust, it is likely that the number of slaves who died in procurement is equal to the number who survived. A database compiled in the 1990's put the figure for the transatlantic slave trade at more than 11 million people. For a long time an accepted figure was 15 million, although this has recently been revised downward. Patrick Manning, the author of "The Slave Trade," estimates that about 12 million slaves entered the Atlantic trade between the 16th and 19th century, and about 1.5 million died on board ships (others have put the estimate of ship deaths at 2.2 million), 4 million died inside Africa after capture and many more died young. These estimates also do not cover how many slaves died in the New World. [2]

THE JOURNEY ACROSS THE OCEAN

Aboard the ships, African captives were packed into tight, unsanitary spaces for months at a time. Many slaves who tried to starve themselves to death were force fed. These conditions also resulted in the spread of fatal diseases. Other fatalities were suicide, and slaves who escaped their fate by throwing themselves overboard. The slave traders would attempt to fit anywhere from 350-600 slaves on one ship. The journey typically took anywhere between 2-4 months, and during this time enslaved people were chained naked in rows on the floor of the hold, or on shelves that ran along the inside of the ship's hulls.

SLAVERY IN THE NEW WORLD

A vast majority of the slaves brought across the Atlantic were imported into the Caribbean and South America. Only 6 percent of African captives were sent directly to North America. And yet by 1825, the U.S. had a quarter of the blacks in the New World. In the Caribbean, Dutch Guiana, and Brazil, the slave death rate was so high and the birth rate so low that they could not sustain their population without importations from Africa. Rates of natural decrease ran as high as 5 percent a year. While the death rate of U.S. slaves was about the same as that of Jamaican slaves, the fertility rate was more than 80 percent higher in the United States. The U.S, unlike other nations, had a self sustaining slave population for more than a century and a half. And the domestic slave trade in the U.S. continued even after the transatlantic slave trade was outlawed in 1808. (The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History).

HALF OF ALL ENSLAVED INFANTS DIED IN THEIR FIRST YEAR OF LIFE

Children suffered very high mortality rates in slavery. Pregnant women were not given much of a break from their work in the fields. They still performed three-quarters or more the amount of work of non-pregnant women. Infant mortality was high, twice as high as southern white children. Half of all slaves died in their first year of life. A major contribution to this high mortality rate was chronic undernourishment. (The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History).

DEATH AND DISEASE IN THE NEW WORLD

Death due to disease and malnourishment was also common, given that slaves were fed a low nutrition, purely starch based diet. Common symptoms of disease among enslaved populations included: blindness; abdominal swelling; bowed legs; skin lesions; and convulsions. Common conditions among enslaved populations included: beriberi (caused by a deficiency of thiamine); pellagra (caused by a niacin deficiency); tetany (caused by deficiencies of calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D); rickets (also caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D); and kwashiorkor (caused by severe protein deficiency). Diarrhea, dysentery, whooping cough, and respiratory diseases as well as worms pushed the infant and early childhood death rate of slaves to twice that experienced by white infants and children. (The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History)

No one knows the exact number of slaves who died in the New World. Yet in American Holocaust (1992), David Stannard estimates that some 30 to 60 million Africans died while being enslaved. He claims a 50% mortality rate among new slaves while being gathered and stored in Africa, a 10% mortality among the survivors while crossing the ocean, and another 50% mortality rate in the first "seasoning" phase of slave labor. [3]
BLAH BLAH BLAH

the-truth-is-like-a-scalpel-the-truth-is-painful-quote-1.jpg
InternetTroll-M.jpg

The largest slave trade in the history of the world was created by white Christian Europeans. Before it was over as many as 60 million Africans would be killed for the profit of white Christian imperialism. A key reason for the high death toll was the tidal wave of war and desolation that the slave trade unleashed into the heart of Africa. Huge numbers of people died being marched to the coasts of Africa from the interior as well as in an endless series of wars produced by the quest for new slaves. Millions more would die in concentration camps at both ends of the sea journey, and significant numbers would die due to the appalling conditions on the slave ships.

The financial profits of this slave trade helped build the economic foundations of America. It was not just the south. Northern business interests made huge profits too.
It is difficult to estimate the exact death toll that resulted from the transatlantic slave trade. There weren't exactly people measuring these numbers at the time. What we looked at are historical estimates of how many people may have died in capture, during the voyage at sea, and due to disease, starvation and back breaking labor in the New World. But what is certain is that the slave trade was a genocide against the African people. The transatlantic slave trade was also the largest, long distance coerced movement of people in history.

The estimate of the number killed during the transatlantic slave trade varies anywhere between 6-150 million. The official UN estimate is 17 million (UN). However, we ourselves would be inclined to agree the figure of 60 million, given all the variables here, including the fact that during the entire period of the slave trade, Africa's population did not increase. Some may argue that this is because Europe had advanced medicine and technology, while Africans didn't. Yet during this era Asia wasn't exactly at a sophisticated, technological level either. But their population nearly doubled. We believe the stagnation of Africa's population is a byproduct of the transatlantic slave trade.

The number of lives lost in the procurement of slaves remains a mystery, but according to the author of American Holocaust, it is likely that the number of slaves who died in procurement is equal to the number who survived. A database compiled in the 1990's put the figure for the transatlantic slave trade at more than 11 million people. For a long time an accepted figure was 15 million, although this has recently been revised downward. Patrick Manning, the author of "The Slave Trade," estimates that about 12 million slaves entered the Atlantic trade between the 16th and 19th century, and about 1.5 million died on board ships (others have put the estimate of ship deaths at 2.2 million), 4 million died inside Africa after capture and many more died young. These estimates also do not cover how many slaves died in the New World. [2]

Aboard the ships, African captives were packed into tight, unsanitary spaces for months at a time. Many slaves who tried to starve themselves to death were force fed. These conditions also resulted in the spread of fatal diseases. Other fatalities were suicide, and slaves who escaped their fate by throwing themselves overboard. The slave traders would attempt to fit anywhere from 350-600 slaves on one ship. The journey typically took anywhere between 2-4 months, and during this time enslaved people were chained naked in rows on the floor of the hold, or on shelves that ran along the inside of the ship's hulls.

SLAVERY IN THE NEW WORLD

A vast majority of the slaves brought across the Atlantic were imported into the Caribbean and South America. Only 6 percent of African captives were sent directly to North America. And yet by 1825, the U.S. had a quarter of the blacks in the New World. In the Caribbean, Dutch Guiana, and Brazil, the slave death rate was so high and the birth rate so low that they could not sustain their population without importations from Africa. Rates of natural decrease ran as high as 5 percent a year. While the death rate of U.S. slaves was about the same as that of Jamaican slaves, the fertility rate was more than 80 percent higher in the United States. The U.S, unlike other nations, had a self sustaining slave population for more than a century and a half. And the domestic slave trade in the U.S. continued even after the transatlantic slave trade was outlawed in 1808. (The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History).

Children suffered very high mortality rates in slavery. Pregnant women were not given much of a break from their work in the fields. They still performed three-quarters or more the amount of work of non-pregnant women. Infant mortality was high, twice as high as southern white children. Half of all slaves died in their first year of life. A major contribution to this high mortality rate was chronic undernourishment. (The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History).

Death due to disease and malnourishment was also common, given that slaves were fed a low nutrition, purely starch based diet. Common symptoms of disease among enslaved populations included: blindness; abdominal swelling; bowed legs; skin lesions; and convulsions. Common conditions among enslaved populations included: beriberi (caused by a deficiency of thiamine); pellagra (caused by a niacin deficiency); tetany (caused by deficiencies of calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D); rickets (also caused by a deficiency of Vitamin D); and kwashiorkor (caused by severe protein deficiency). Diarrhea, dysentery, whooping cough, and respiratory diseases as well as worms pushed the infant and early childhood death rate of slaves to twice that experienced by white infants and children. (The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History)

No one knows the exact number of slaves who died in the New World. Yet in American Holocaust (1992), David Stannard estimates that some 30 to 60 million Africans died while being enslaved. He claims a 50% mortality rate among new slaves while being gathered and stored in Africa, a 10% mortality among the survivors while crossing the ocean, and another 50% mortality rate in the first "seasoning" phase of slave labor. [3]
BLAH BLAH BLAH

the-truth-is-like-a-scalpel-the-truth-is-painful-quote-1.jpg
InternetTroll-M.jpg

Yes, you are a troll.

bb0097daa0022f58f181222769081a22.jpg

How long has this been happening?
all my life almost
Let it go, It does nothing for you but hold you back.

Why do whites make suggestions to others telling them to do things whites don't do?

Being angry about slavery and the continuing white racism I have seen in my life made me desire to get a degree and do research in order to create positive change in the black community. So being angry about slavery doesn't have to hold anyone back. In fact it can motivate you to stomp the consistent hurdles racists put in our way. When you look at slavery not in the manner most whites here think we look at it, but as a motivating factor as you understand the power you have descended from, it gives you the strength to not be held back.

Whites here need to drop that f-d up lie they tell themselves about us needing to be victims. Not one white here could endure what we actually have endured not what you whites imagine we did. We, blacks, are motherfucking VICTORS and we will continue to be VICTORS. We oppose white racism, therefore we are on the side of righteousness and because of this we cannot be defeated.

Every time that I think or read about American slavery it makes me white-hot mad. I’m not sure if that healthy, but it happens. And, I think about American slavery ALL THE TIME.
Does African current day slavery bother you? Do you think about it all the time? Perhaps you can explain why something that ended in 1865 154 years ago would bother you today while you ignore actual slavery going on right now in Africa and else where?

all my life almost

Why do whites make suggestions to others telling them to do things whites don't do?

Being angry about slavery and the continuing white racism I have seen in my life made me desire to get a degree and do research in order to create positive change in the black community. So being angry about slavery doesn't have to hold anyone back. In fact it can motivate you to stomp the consistent hurdles racists put in our way. When you look at slavery not in the manner most whites here think we look at it, but as a motivating factor as you understand the power you have descended from, it gives you the strength to not be held back.

Whites here need to drop that f-d up lie they tell themselves about us needing to be victims. Not one white here could endure what we actually have endured not what you whites imagine we did. We, blacks, are motherfucking VICTORS and we will continue to be VICTORS. We oppose white racism, therefore we are on the side of righteousness and because of this we cannot be defeated.
You are making mountains out of molehills. Racism is not a major part of our society. In fact the blending of the races Encourages non biases and will finally end any notice in differences in skin color, hence biases.

all my life almost

You are making mountains out of molehills. Racism is not a major part of our society. In fact the blending of the races Encourages non biases and will finally end any notice in differences in skin color, hence biases.

Bullshit. Turn black and live for a couple of years then come back and talk.

all my life almost

soccer-S.jpg

all my life almost

Looks like not many agree with you. lol

Eh, you know, no one in my family ever owned slaves and yet were here longer than most any Americans.

This area is where if a black man could run away to? He was free, and was treated equally, as a man should be.

Just make it south of that river, you can be a cracker! :auiqs.jpg:

My people were dirt farmers, not much cattle, enough to eat is all. I realize there were some bad things done north of here, but my family had nothing to do with that. They hid people out from the Klan.

My grandma stopped 3 klan from hanging her daddy with a butcher knife.

I owe IM2 a big :fu:

You get nothing you didn't earn. Were your ancestors slaves, or slave owners, hmm? Sup?

The problem with your claim dipshit is that what whites have done goes far past slavery. Now for the thousandth time, your ass is paying native americans for things that happened before you were born and for things your family did not do. The US Government owes blacks and all your hot air and smiley postings doesn't change that.
Not apples to apples. Whites stole land from Natives.

SLAVERY IN THE NEW WORLD

You never bitch and moan about slavery in Africa. It only burns your ass when whites do it.

all my life almost

If you are a victor quit your bitching

slavery happened since america was founded in 1492, my friends, until 1865, and its legacy lives on today in 2019!

Every time that I think or read about American slavery it makes me white-hot mad. I’m not sure if that healthy, but it happens. And, I think about American slavery ALL THE TIME.

Does the fact that there are now more slaves in the world than at any other time in history make you mad as well, or is this just selective Progressive outrage?

Do you hate the white people that were cruel to the slaves or admire the slaves for their fortitude?
Both.
I would say that there are going to be cruel people all throughout history of all colors, creeds, and religions. There has to be a balance between those feelings.

Although the slaves endured cruelty, most were not willing to go back to Liberia when offered free trips back to their original country. Why do you think that was the case?
Probably because (1) most of them never came from Liberia to begin with and (2) because by the time slaves were emancipated, importing slaves from Africa had been outlawed for 50 years and the majority were born and raised in this country, not Africa.

the total number of blacks killed by other blacks in 2018 is greater than the entire number of blacks lynched during the KKK era!

i like politics because of the conflict between good and evil, because we all know in the end good will triumph!

Forum List

Back