Putin wants Ukraine ceasefire on current frontlines

Well, not sure that Zelensky will go for this, as it, in effect, gives the victory to Russia. It is a way out though..and it does make Putin look like the reasonable one..LOL!

Russian President Vladimir Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine with a negotiated ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines, four Russian sources told Reuters, saying he is prepared to fight on if Kyiv and the West do not respond.
Three of the sources, familiar with discussions in Putin's entourage, said the veteran Russian leader had expressed frustration to a small group of advisers about what he views as Western-backed attempts to stymie negotiations and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's decision to rule out talks.

"Putin can fight for as long as it takes, but Putin is also ready for a ceasefire – to freeze the war," said another of the four, a senior Russian source who has worked with Putin and has knowledge of top level conversations in the Kremlin.
He, like the others cited in this story, spoke on condition of anonymity given the matter's sensitivity.
For this account, Reuters spoke to a total of five people who work with or have worked with Putin at a senior level in the political and business worlds. The fifth source did not comment on freezing the war at the current frontlines.

Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov, in response to a request for comment, said the Kremlin chief had repeatedly made clear Russia was open to dialogue to achieve its goals, saying the country did not want “eternal war.”
Ukraine's foreign and defence ministries did not respond to questions.
The appointment last week of economist Andrei Belousov as Russia's defence minister was seen by some Western military and political analysts as placing the Russian economy on a permanent war footing in order to win a protracted conflict.

It followed sustained battlefield pressure and territorial advances by Russia in recent weeks.
However, the sources said that Putin, re-elected in March for a new six-year term, would rather use Russia's current momentum to put the war behind him. They did not directly comment on the new defence minister.

Based on their knowledge of conversations in the upper ranks of the Kremlin, two of the sources said Putin was of the view that gains in the war so far were enough to sell a victory to the Russian people.
Pretty sure he won't.

Not accurate, since they have to outsource their weapons and even their soldiers. When the Ruble only buys half of whatbit did a year ago, every foreign mercenary and foreign weapon now costs Russia twice as much as it did a year ago.

A year ago the price of a dollar was 80 roubles. Now it's 90 roubles.

IMG_20240526_221723.jpg

It's not a big deal. Anyway, they are not just buying weapons. We do mutually profitable cooperation. It means exchange of goods, resources and ideas. If you have an apple and I have an apple and we change apples - we both still have one apple each. But if you have a technology and I have a technology and we exchange our technologies - we both have two technologies now. Now we have a technology of cheap cruise missiles like Shaheds and we build them with brand Geran', and Iranians have, say, technology of nuclear weapons and they can make their own nukes, too.

Can you copy and paste the info in the link please, it's behind a paywall. I tried archive.is but it's immune to that tactic.
No problem.

--------
The major funding sources for Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine — the country's oil and gas revenues —doubled in April despite sanctions.
Bloomberg reported on Monday that total oil and gas revenues in April jumped by 90% compared to a year earlier, reaching 1.23 trillion rubles ($13.5 billion). That sent the Kremlin's energy-related taxes soaring to 1.053 trillion rubles ($11.5 billion), marking a 111.9% leap from April 2023.

Russia's Federal Tax Service data reveals that the budget revenue spike was pegged to the Urals crude price of $70.34 per barrel, a significant jump from $48.67 a year ago when the G-7 countries had first imposed a price cap of $60 a barrel on Moscow's oil exports.
--------

No problem.

--------
The major funding sources for Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine — the country's oil and gas revenues —doubled in April despite sanctions.
Bloomberg reported on Monday that total oil and gas revenues in April jumped by 90% compared to a year earlier, reaching 1.23 trillion rubles ($13.5 billion). That sent the Kremlin's energy-related taxes soaring to 1.053 trillion rubles ($11.5 billion), marking a 111.9% leap from April 2023.

Russia's Federal Tax Service data reveals that the budget revenue spike was pegged to the Urals crude price of $70.34 per barrel, a significant jump from $48.67 a year ago when the G-7 countries had first imposed a price cap of $60 a barrel on Moscow's oil exports.
--------
Thank you, assuming that's all of it. Interesting. Why do articles conflict? More importantly, which one do we believe? Probably depends on agenda. Mine is neutral, so I'm on the fence.

Next option will be for me to Google and look into Russia's major gas supplier. I know that Europe has pulled the plug on Russia, so I wonder where they're selling to. I'll also need to check article dates, forgot to do that.

Thank you, assuming that's all of it. Interesting. Why do articles conflict? More importantly, which one do we believe? Probably depends on agenda. Mine is neutral, so I'm on the fence.
If one article is written for professionals and businessmen and show facts that anyone can check (like oil prices and currency exchange rates) and another is telling a horror stories about the gangs of cannibal white-suprematists terrorising ancient Aztec-build city of Philadelphia, Texas, I know what would I choose.
Next option will be for me to Google and look into Russia's major gas supplier. I know that Europe has pulled the plug on Russia, so I wonder where they're selling to. I'll also need to check article dates, forgot to do that.
Actually, Europe continue to buy Russian gas through Ukrainian line, plus a bit of LNG. Also, now, after collapse of their fertilizer-making chemical industry, they buy Russian fertilizers (and pay much more money for them).

Russia attacked Ukraine because Ukraine attacked Russian allies - Donetsk and Lugansk People Republics, which were recognized by Russia as independent states and with whom were signed treaties about mutual defense. Ukrainian attacks against DPR and LPR were equal to attacks directly against Russian Federation.

Putin understands that his attempt to take Ukraine has failed. He understands that the western coalition can pretty much make a luaghinstock out of his army with one hand tied behind their backs.

So he will call his failure a success and hold parades. Then he will ethnically cleanse the territory he seized and announce it is part of russia, now.

Putin understands that his attempt to take Ukraine has failed. He understands that the western coalition can pretty much make a luaghinstock out of his army with one hand tied behind their backs.

So he will call his failure a success and hold parades. Then he will ethnically cleanse the territory he seized and announce it is part of russia, now.
Did he said it to you personally, or it's just your delusional assumption ?

Russia attacked Ukraine because Ukraine attacked Russian allies - Donetsk and Lugansk People Republics, which were recognized by Russia as independent states and with whom were signed treaties about mutual defense. Ukrainian attacks against DPR and LPR were equal to attacks directly against Russian Federation.
suresure.gif

If one article is written for professionals and businessmen and show facts that anyone can check (like oil prices and currency exchange rates) and another is telling a horror stories about the gangs of cannibal white-suprematists terrorising ancient Aztec-build city of Philadelphia, Texas, I know what would I choose.

Actually, Europe continue to buy Russian gas through Ukrainian line, plus a bit of LNG. Also, now, after collapse of their fertilizer-making chemical industry, they buy Russian fertilizers (and pay much more money for them).

Oops.

Oops.
The losses of Gazprom are not losses of Russian Federation's budget. They do pay their taxes (plus significant summs extra) they just don't pay dividends to their shareholders (too many of them are foreigners from unfriendly countries).
May be, next year or in 2026 the government will allow them to increase gas prices for households (but not for industry).

Well, not sure that Zelensky will go for this, as it, in effect, gives the victory to Russia. It is a way out though..and it does make Putin look like the reasonable one..LOL!

Russian President Vladimir Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine with a negotiated ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines, four Russian sources told Reuters, saying he is prepared to fight on if Kyiv and the West do not respond.
Three of the sources, familiar with discussions in Putin's entourage, said the veteran Russian leader had expressed frustration to a small group of advisers about what he views as Western-backed attempts to stymie negotiations and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's decision to rule out talks.

"Putin can fight for as long as it takes, but Putin is also ready for a ceasefire – to freeze the war," said another of the four, a senior Russian source who has worked with Putin and has knowledge of top level conversations in the Kremlin.
He, like the others cited in this story, spoke on condition of anonymity given the matter's sensitivity.
For this account, Reuters spoke to a total of five people who work with or have worked with Putin at a senior level in the political and business worlds. The fifth source did not comment on freezing the war at the current frontlines.

Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov, in response to a request for comment, said the Kremlin chief had repeatedly made clear Russia was open to dialogue to achieve its goals, saying the country did not want “eternal war.”
Ukraine's foreign and defence ministries did not respond to questions.
The appointment last week of economist Andrei Belousov as Russia's defence minister was seen by some Western military and political analysts as placing the Russian economy on a permanent war footing in order to win a protracted conflict.

It followed sustained battlefield pressure and territorial advances by Russia in recent weeks.
However, the sources said that Putin, re-elected in March for a new six-year term, would rather use Russia's current momentum to put the war behind him. They did not directly comment on the new defence minister.

Based on their knowledge of conversations in the upper ranks of the Kremlin, two of the sources said Putin was of the view that gains in the war so far were enough to sell a victory to the Russian people.

Does he though? If he does, it's because the Russian economy is close-ish to showing it's not very good. Or is it just there to give hope to the Ukraine, then to pull it back because Putin's an a-hole?

Whatever territories will be liberated in new months, whoever win November elections, we won't stop at least until total elimination of Kievan regime.
The time will show. There is no point to discuss that now, especially when you have already filled your quota of nonsense, and I am not ready to read about Corsica again.

Though, I should correct myself above. There is the third factor that is important as the previous two - a position of main powers of so called Global South.

The losses of Gazprom are not losses of Russian Federation's budget. They do pay their taxes (plus significant summs extra) they just don't pay dividends to their shareholders (too many of them are foreigners from unfriendly countries).
May be, next year or in 2026 the government will allow them to increase gas prices for households (but not for industry).
Just a matter of time, it's the only reason why he wants peace talks. I say, keep funding and supplying arms to Ukraine and tell Putin to shove it. Then watch Russia totally decline -

Russia's economy is fragile and policymakers won't be able to stave off a crisis for very long, a think tank researcher argued in a post on Tuesday.
Alexander Kolyandr, a Russian economy expert and researcher for the Centre for European Policy Analysis, pointed to mounting challenges faced by the Kremlin as its war in Ukraine drags on through its third year.
Central bankers and policymakers in Russia have so far managed to keep the economy afloat, but their good luck is bound to run out, Kolyandr warned.
https://archive.is/o/Iil2T/https://...th-outlook-inflation-military-spending-2024-4
Russia's economic strength to last another 18 months, think tank says
https://archive.is/o/Iil2T/https://...unch-military-bonus-pay-salary-oil-gas-2024-5
Russia economy: Military now pays more than the oil and gas sector
https://archive.is/o/Iil2T/https://...ollarization-oil-inflation-war-ukraine-2024-5
US, the West are facing the blowback of sanctions on Russia, economist says
"Putin used to know that the economy was best left to professionals. Indeed, the men and women running the country's central bank, finance ministry, and ministry of economic development remain highly skilled and saved the country from economic collapse in 2022," Kolyandr wrote in a recent note. "Two years on, they clearly understand the longer-term impossibility of the task they've been set. The question is, do they dare tell the boss? And if they do, will he listen?"
Russia's economy has flashed key signs of weaknesses since the West first began imposing sanctions on the nation in 2022. Trade restrictions, like a ban on energy imports to Europe and $60-per-barrel price cap on Russian oil, have delivered a major blow to the Kremlin's war chest, with Russia's energy revenue plunging 24% last year.
Russia is also reeling from the growing costs of its war, in both its finances and its human capital. The nation is now slammed with a severe worker shortage, which has pushed up wages and inflation.
Prices in Russia are growing at a pace of around 8%, double the central bank's official price target. Interest rates have also soared to 16% as policymakers try to stem the inflationary tide, which poses another burden to consumers.
"The Kremlin, as a result, is in a three-way bind of its own making. The government can't cut spending as long as the war continues. The war, however, saps the labor force, fueling inflation and diminishing both welfare and public sentiment. And high interest rates, necessitated by all that inflation, stifle investment in productivity and further distort the economy," Kolyandr said.
Other experts have noted that Russia faces a dilemma as it juggles managing its economy and prolonging its war against Ukraine. According to one European economist, the nation has become dependent on war for economic growth, and it can't afford to win or lose the war.

Forum List

Back