Playing Music – Much Better Than Just Listening

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I’m a former professional musician. I played the guitar (6 string) in a Rock band for 11 years. I also played the mandolin, the fiddle, and guitar for Bluegrass bands, and as an individual folk guitar player on stage, as well.

I find playing (and listening to) both my own blues, and cover songs very rewarding. Regardless of the origin of the songs (and tunes), it is the music flowing out of my brain, my hands, my eyes, ears, and nervous system, that I appreciate in a way that no recording by anyone, can match.

Not that I’m knocking the professional bands or their recordings, but I enjoy my own performance of Strawberry Fields over that of the Beatles. Same with my own performance of Wild Horses over the Rolling Stones’ recording. Same with dozens of others. It’s YOUR playing, in YOUR way, based on the music of the song.

I think few people realize how great it is to make (and listen to) your own music, from your own instrument(s). I’ve gone to 5 (non-music-jam) parties this year. All of the hosts had impressive stereo systems, and extensive collections of CDs. All the partygoers were knowledgable of the recordings played, and talked about them a lot. But when I asked if there was a guitar in the house (which I was offering to play), all 5 houses were without a guitar (or any musical instrument).

Wow! What a waste. All that God-given capability, and no use of it. Unlike lesser animals (cats, dogs, horses, chimps, etc), all these people could be doing something they might enjoy considerably more than other hobbies. This could be just from learning (and practicing) a few simple chords. Then with learning a few more chords, and some additional technique, the music becomes more personal, and special. Chord charts can be printed from the internet, and even lessons are available free on You Tube.

I’d say if people knew what it was like to play an instrument, music stores would be sold out of their stock of guitars, mandolins, bass guitars. etc. all over town.

:clap2:

Connecting with The Muse is spiritual and essential. Should be an automatic for everyone, whether it's music, visual art, poetry, mechanics, woodworking, whatever hits one's sweet spot.

Same as if you do all your cooking. You have to eat what you cook, so you might as well learn to cook good and like what you eat.

I’m a former professional musician. I played the guitar (6 string) in a Rock band for 11 years. I also played the mandolin, the fiddle, and guitar for Bluegrass bands, and as an individual folk guitar player on stage, as well.

I find playing (and listening to) both my own blues, and cover songs very rewarding. Regardless of the origin of the songs (and tunes), it is the music flowing out of my brain, my hands, my eyes, ears, and nervous system, that I appreciate in a way that no recording by anyone, can match.

Not that I’m knocking the professional bands or their recordings, but I enjoy my own performance of Strawberry Fields over that of the Beatles. Same with my own performance of Wild Horses over the Rolling Stones’ recording. Same with dozens of others. It’s YOUR playing, in YOUR way, based on the music of the song.

I think few people realize how great it is to make (and listen to) your own music, from your own instrument(s). I’ve gone to 5 (non-music-jam) parties this year. All of the hosts had impressive stereo systems, and extensive collections of CDs. All the partygoers were knowledgable of the recordings played, and talked about them a lot. But when I asked if there was a guitar in the house (which I was offering to play), all 5 houses were without a guitar (or any musical instrument).

Wow! What a waste. All that God-given capability, and no use of it. Unlike lesser animals (cats, dogs, horses, chimps, etc), all these people could be doing something they might enjoy considerably more than other hobbies. This could be just from learning (and practicing) a few simple chords. Then with learning a few more chords, and some additional technique, the music becomes more personal, and special. Chord charts can be printed from the internet, and even lessons are available free on You Tube.

I’d say if people knew what it was like to play an instrument, music stores would be sold out of their stock of guitars, mandolins, bass guitars. etc. all over town.

Not everyone has a talent for music. Not everyone even appreciates or enjoys music all that much.

I play bass guitar, but I rarely pick my bass up these days. I never enjoyed playing on my own all that much. It was playing with others, creating songs together, that was what I most enjoyed.

I certainly think people would do well to at least try a musical instrument or two, to see if they like it or have an aptitude for it, but for most, I think listening to the music of others is more than good enough.

Rap isn't music. It's a joke, and a degradation of culture, to barbarism.
That's racist....... :eusa_hand:
Oh gosh. So sorry to deprive you of the fun of throwing the race card at me BUT....Not hardly. Wanna hear the first rap song, that all of today's imitators imitate ? ? Here it is >> It's All Right Ma.. I'm Only Bleedin" by Bob Dylan. Without this 1965 song, there would never have been a rap music genre.

Last edited:

Agree 100% Playing a musical instrument is incredibly rewarding and gratifying.

I've been playing guitar ever since. It all started the first time I heard "Radar Love" on the radio - I wanted to play that!! I bought a cheap 6 string acoustic at a pawn shop the next day.

I now have 3 guitars- an Alhambra 9P classical guitar, a steel string Taylor Acoustic, and a Les Paul Custom electric.

Forum List

Back