Parents of transgender teenager lose bid to stop mastectomy

that close to 18 is a waste of time to deal with,, and considering a 17 yr old can emancipate from their parents all we can do is write this one off as a loss,,
And if we say “17 is close enough”, then 16 year olds will say “what about me”. And so on.

That’s why the line has to to be firmly drawn at a specific age.

And if we say “17 is close enough”, then 16 year olds will say “what about me”. And so on.

sure would be nice if it was that easy,,

so when a 16 yr old is the issue we can deal with it then,,

until then what do you suggest,, locking her up for a few days??

I didn't know any of this until I began researching it, this morning!!!

Data from the Times article estimates there were 203 gender-affirming surgeries performed on minors in the year, at only eleven different clinics. In contrast, 3,200 girls ages 13 to 19 received cosmetic breast implants in 2020. Another 4,700 had breast reductions.
That's an interesting statistic.

Is your point is that those opposed to having boys get breast implants to make them look like girls, have not objected to teenage girls getting breast implants? They haven't, but so what? That means they are inconsisten for opposing "gender affirming" boob jobs for males?

Apples and oranges for several reasons:

1) Age 13 to 19 includes two years of legal adult years, 18 - 19. So how many of those 3,200 "girls" are legal women who made the decision as legal adults? 3,000? 3,195? As a matter of fact, 3,200 of them were 18 or 19. From your linked statistics report:

1701039913228.png

2) If there were underage girls getting breast enhancements for purely cosmetic reason, and not following a medically necesarry mastdectomy, or some traumantic injury to their breasts, I would say that is not very wise. But none of those, as far as I know, were court ordered over ojection of the parents. If it were, I would be as opposed to it as I am to nonconsensual breast enhancements on male children.

3) None of them (if they happened) are attempts to surgically alter a child's body to alleviate a psychological disorder.

4) I do object to underage girls having boob jobs to fit the media's impossible standars of female beauty. So, no inconsistency. I haven't been vocal about it, because it has not been in the news. Maybe because it doesn't happen according to the report you cited.

Yes it has to, and of necessity, that line will be somewhat arbitrary, and not a good fit for many individuals. The lines of 18, and 21, were not set by members of the religious right who hate transkids. They were drawn long ago in English Common Law, and European civil codes.

If those ancestors of ours had known what we know about brain development, they might have set the age much higher. An 18 year old may be at the peak of their apparent physical growth, but their brain had a lot of physical development ahead of it.

What is Obamacare's requirement that insurers allow parents to maintain their "children" on their health plans until age 26, but a recognition of that?

That's an interesting statistic.

Is your point is that those opposed to having boys get breast implants to make them look like girls, have not objected to teenage girls getting breast implants? They haven't, but so what? That means they are inconsisten for opposing "gender affirming" boob jobs for males?

Apples and oranges for several reasons:

1) Age 13 to 19 includes two years of legal adult years, 18 - 19. So how many of those 3,200 "girls" are legal women who made the decision as legal adults? 3,000? 3,195? As a matter of fact, 3,200 of them were 18 or 19. From your linked statistics report:

View attachment 864376

2) If there were underage girls getting breast enhancements for purely cosmetic reason, and not following a medically necesarry mastdectomy, or some traumantic injury to their breasts, I would say that is not very wise. But none of those, as far as I know, were court ordered over ojection of the parents. If it were, I would be as opposed to it as I am to nonconsensual breast enhancements on male children.

3) None of them (if they happened) are attempts to surgically alter a child's body to alleviate a psychological disorder.

4) I do object to underage girls having boob jobs to fit the media's impossible standars of female beauty. So, no inconsistency. I haven't been vocal about it, because it has not been in the news. Maybe because it doesn't happen according to the report you cited.
I agree that 18 and 19 year olds are in that number and it does not show how many are theirs, and not those younger.... But it was the closest I could find covering the ages we were discussing....

And yes under age girls have boob enhancement, but they had more breast reductions than enhancements according to that link....!

(Which surprised me a little, though I personally have known two girl friends that have had breast reductions.....one in high school, sophomore year....she had Raquel Welch size at 11, by 13 she could feed Kenya....she was picked on and teased and groped and turned heads everywhere....poor thing....she really had way too much to deal with as a child that age.... Her parents and she decided to see a doctor for a breast reduction....NOT REMOVAL, just reduced in size between 9th and 10th grade.)

Something like 4500 girls getting reductions in that age group of 13 to 19 in a year! And more reductions than breast enhancements....? Yet the article said only 2 hundred and some were noted as transgender procedures done in the year? So, my thought went to my girlfriend Leslie, and how she may not have known this at the time, but there are / were a lot more girls out there, who also had her overbearing boob, problem at a young age.....

My point is not whether it is a male or female transgender, vs. a straight female, the law needs to be fair and equal to all, under the law....

And I do think parents should be notified if under 18, leaning towards full parental permission.

This case in the op is not a fair one to use ....due to her age of only weeks from being 18....she likely could not schedule the surgery in that short time...

But my main concern is how the Law is inconsistent with minors for near everything....

They can be tried as adults under 18.

They can decide to consent to have sex at 16, or 17....

Yet can't get married till 18...

And can't be drafted till 18....

Can't drink till 21....

Can't be in a legal contract till after 18 without parental signing....

Yet can drop out of high school without parental consent at 16, or 17

Geez, our under age laws are ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back