NASA's InSight lander on Mars

I'm surprised no one here mentioned InSight earlier.

I heard about it. It’s landing on a boring part of the moon on purpose. It’s going to look inside the planet and measure the atmosphere or something like that. I’d love to know more. What it looking for and what technology is being used to achieve its goals?

What "moon" did it land on?

Oops. It landed on a very boring part of the mars planet. Not a moon.

What’s it hoping to find? Microbes? Fungus’s? Clay? Fossils? Salt? The basic building blocks for life?

I'm surprised no one here mentioned InSight earlier.

I heard about it. It’s landing on a boring part of the moon on purpose. It’s going to look inside the planet and measure the atmosphere or something like that. I’d love to know more. What it looking for and what technology is being used to achieve its goals?

What "moon" did it land on?

Oops. It landed on a very boring part of the mars planet. Not a moon.

What’s it hoping to find? Microbes? Fungus’s? Clay? Fossils? Salt? The basic building blocks for life?

Bs, it's the libtard way

how freakin many are they going to send???!!!

I think they keep doing Mars because Mercury, Venus and Jupiter are totally impossible.... Like totally and completely cannot land on them.

Jo
we've seen it
if they are going to spend $$$, let's do something else

Yeah, let's give it to rich people who already have so much money they don't know what to do with it.
ever hear of the US DEBT!!!??
...real smart--just like idiots in the US--whine when they go into debt--and they keep spending money on crap
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Thats what we get for letting a tiny percentage of our population hoarde our nation's wealth.
We need to get to mars. Mars is closer to the meteor belt. We are overconsuming iron and other metals and perhaps we could mine the meteor belt.

I think they keep doing Mars because Mercury, Venus and Jupiter are totally impossible.... Like totally and completely cannot land on them.

Jo
we've seen it

Yeah, let's give it to rich people who already have so much money they don't know what to do with it.
...real smart--just like idiots in the US--whine when they go into debt--and they keep spending money on crap
Thats what we get for letting a tiny percentage of our population hoarde our nation's wealth.
We need to get to mars. Mars is closer to the meteor belt. We are overconsuming iron and other metals and perhaps we could mine the meteor belt.
Yes indeed. No way to transport the mined product and no way to get there under a year!

how freakin many are they going to send???!!!

Jo
we've seen it

Apparently, the debt doesn't matter much to Trump, or to the Republicans that passed his tax bill.

Jo
we've seen it

but is it profitable?
also, if we overspend now, we won't have the $$$ to make it profitable later

we've seen it

Yes indeed. No way to transport the mined product and no way to get there under a year!
Why do we have to get there is under a year?

Do you know how easy it is to float a meteor through space? Very easy.

And of course while we’re figuring it out we will have goat herders who don’t think it’s possible. Just mind your herd

we've seen it

but is it profitable?
It might be necessary one day. The planet is dying.

And of course while we’re figuring it out we will have goat herders who don’t think it’s possible. Just mind your herd
I notice you don't provide any answers, just attack the messenger.

but is it profitable?
Sending rockets into space, or trying to, back in the '50s wasn't very profitable, either. A few decades on, because of those efforts, we can talk to people from all over the world. We wouldn't have this forum if not for the communication satellite networks.

Effort comes first and, if all goes well, profits follow.

"Float a meteor through space? The idea is to pave the way for manned missions. Who would want to be on that meteor floating through space?

The planet earth is not dying.
Earth WILL one day be VAPORIZED, and so will Mars. Our entire solar system will be because or sun is EXPLODING. It's expanding right now, and someday far in the future it will turn into a super nova and blow everything within a few light years away. If mankind is ever going to survive, we need to find a way to travel through the universe at speeds GREATER than light, but then what? Will we arrive where we wanted to go before it was there? Will speeds it takes to traverse the vastness of the universe result in time travel?

We better figure it all out, or mankind is doomed.

The planet earth is not dying.

You may be right but consider this. Everything living is dying. Do you think planet earth will live forever? So then like you, it is dying.

But you are probably right the earth will continue to live long after humans are gone. In fact it will still be living when it finally meets it's maker, which is the sun will eat the earth eventually.

While we're on the subject of movies, consider 2003's The Core. The story is that Earth's core has mysteriously stopped rotating, so the US government backs a plan to drill to the centre of the Earth and restart it – because without an active core, Earth loses its magnetic field and all life is threatened.

The Core is mostly nonsense and has been rightly derided by scientists. But not all of the science it features is junk. Some researchers really do think that Earth's magnetic field deflects ionising particles from the sun, which would otherwise wear away Earth's atmosphere. If they are right, then without a magnetic field our planet will lose its atmosphere too, and all life will die.

many of the mass extinctions in Earth's history were caused by life.

For instance, about 2.3 billion years ago lots of oxygen was released into the atmosphere by new forms of photosynthetic life. There had never before been free oxygen, so the microbes living on Earth could not cope with it, and a massive extinction followed.

And no matter how green we go we might get wiped out by a meteor, blast of gamma rays, hit by a wandering star, volcano or nuclear war.

But eventually if none of this happens we will be eaten by an expanding sun.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I notice you don't provide any answers, just attack the messenger.

Answer what? You said no way to get er done in under a year. Who said we need to?

And you said no way to transport the minded product. You are correct no solution exists yet. This is all futuristic stuff. But what about this?

The asteroid is called Bennu, and every six years, its egg-shaped orbital path brings it just 185,000 miles from Earth — roughly 53,000 miles closer than our moon. In about 200 years, there’s a 1-in-2,700 chance it could sail close enough for Earth’s gravity to reel it in. That would be very bad.

The impact would excavate a crater nearly three miles wide and 1,500 feet deep. Locations three miles away would be buried under 50 feet of rock raining down. It would trigger a 6.7-magnitude earthquake. But the real damage would come from the air burst, caused by the meteor hurtling through the atmosphere, which could collapse buildings and tear down trees up to 30 miles away.

Partly to help with this, a NASA spacecraft called OSIRIS-REx is on its way to Bennu, where it will collect several pounds of asteroid samples and return them to Earth. By baking those samples and melting them down, scientists will learn what the asteroid is like, how the solar system’s rocky worlds were made, and how to protect Earth from these errant rocks — whether by pushing them away, breaking them up, or using the sun’s warmth to nudge them a different direction.

So while NASA is figuring this shit out you and Trump are badmouthing NASA because you don't like the science. Sad.

Forum List

Back