My Favorite Things

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
My Favorite Things is a 1961 jazz album by John Coltrane. It is considered by many jazz critics and listeners to be a highly significant and historic recording. It was the first session recorded by Coltrane on the Atlantic Records label, the first to introduce his new quartet featuring McCoy Tyner (piano), Elvin Jones (drums) and Steve Davis (bass) -- neither Jimmy Garrison nor Reggie Workman featured as yet.

The album was also the first to quite clearly mark Coltrane's change from bebop to free jazz which was slowly becoming apparent in some of Coltrane's previous releases. It introduces complex harmonic reworkings of such songs as "My Favorite Things" and "But Not for Me". Additionally, at a time when the soprano saxophone was considered obsolete, it demonstrated Coltrane's further investigation of the instrument's capabilities in a jazz idiom.

The Sound of Music version
The song was first introduced by Mary Martin in the original Broadway production, and sung by Julie Andrews in the 1965 film adaptation.

In the musical the lyrics to the song are a reference to things Maria loves such as 'raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens'. These are the things she selects to fill her mind with when times are bad.

Ref: Wikipedia

What are your favorite things that lighten your mood or brighten your day?

My favorite rendition, done by Lorrie Morgan:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXiTIsB_ADQ]YouTube - Lorrie Morgan - My Favorite Things[/ame]

Ok - favorite things that brighten my day ...

sunshine - big one

being outdoors in general

having some time to myself

being able to talk to a good friend

learning something new

a good book and having time to read it

whiskers on kittens bring a smile too. ;)

I'm gonna have to go with that "time to myself" - without interruption.

Need to take a vacation -- alone.....

Some of my favs:

Dogs
Quiet (no tv, no kids, no people, no lawnmowers or leaf blowers :)mad:). Just . . . . quiet)
The sound of rain softly falling
Cape May, NJ
Driving
A good book
Popcorn

Forum List

Back