Your top four favorite bands/artists, 60s forward?

WTH_Progs?

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2019
I grew up somewhat sheltered by location and my father's dislike for rock n roll. He was an orchestra leader for string and swing bands. Unless it was top 40 I knew nothing about rock n roll until after my 15th birthday, 1977.

Pink Floyd: First Floyd tune I heard was On The Run. I hated it, so we swapped albums. Truth is I'm still not a fan. Turns out the album was another masterpiece. Second time was the tune Comfortably Numb, 1979, and I couldn't believe my ears. First I heard the Wall album was my first LSD trip as well, bummer I lost my keys for 3-4 hours. If I'm stuck on a desert Island give me Floyd with Waters. The albums following The Wall pretty well suck IMO. Waters produced better music solo.

Led Zeppelin: Dark, masterful. Every song is great for 5-6 straight albums. Someone made a deal with the devil, and I'm pretty sure that was Jimmy Page (JK, (maybe)). I think they peaked with Houses of the Holy, then came the decline. They were just too high.

Jimmy Hendrix: I don't know, maybe he's the guy who dealt with the devil. There must be an explanation for that kind of talent. Seems he's a 1000 year guy, or so.

Gordon Lightfoot: Folk is some of the best music out there, and Lightfoot was nothing short of pure talent. He wrote my favorite song too, it helps.

Honorable mention Rolling Stones. Older I get the more I appreciate em. As Rock/Blues goes, Stones are on Mt. Rushmore with the Beatles, Floyd and Zep.

The following are my most favorites.

Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys (RIP)
Billy Joe Royal (RIP)
James Otto
Alison Krauss
LeAnn Rimes
Tanya Tucker

God bless you and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly (a fan of Alison for 25 years now)

P.S. I know that's six, but do keep in mind that the first two are no longer here and its never my intention to leave them in the past like so many other people already have. My only two words for them two gentlemen are "rise" and "shine" because in the grand scheme, I am only just now getting started with them, I love them SO much!!! :) :) :)

Hard to pick the top four but today I like, in no particular order
Pink Floyd
The Eagles
Jimmy Buffett
Warren Zevon

Hard to pick the top four but today I like, in no particular order...

Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson)

Little Feat

The Eagles

New Riders of the Purple Sage (I am going to find out who robbed the Glendale train)

Some of my favorites of your favorites mentioned: Neil Young. I like AC/DC more with every passing year, Jefferson Airplane the same. Rush is awesome. Yes is fun too. I play drums, alternative is always cool.

Never heard of New Riders of the Purple Sag, the music is cool as (*^06. Best cover of Mary Lou I've heard.

Never heard of New Riders of the Purple Sag, the music is cool as (*^06. Best cover of Mary Lou I've heard.

NRPS was a offshoot of the Musical genius of the Grateful Dead... Jerry Garcia helped put the band together because he had a hankering to play country music... He played with them for a couple of years back in the late 60's early 70's...

NRPS was a offshoot of the Musical genius of the Grateful Dead... Jerry Garcia helped put the band together because he had a hankering to play country music... He played with them for a couple of years back in the late 60's early 70's...
Got to witness a Dead show in Cleveland around 79 or 80.
The first thing we noticed was licence plates from all around the place -
definitely a unique experience.....trails and all.

Forum List

Back