Your top four favorite bands/artists, 60s forward?

Faces is a wonderful choice! I love the boozy and sometimes raucous music they put out.

After witnessing the Stones from the front row during their July 1972 visit to MSG, I was front row for Faces Sept 1972 'A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse' show at The Gorden.

Frankly, two of the best RnR shows I ever attended. Even more frank, Faces stage presence was much more appealing.

If I could go back, no doubt I'd choose a Faces event over the Stones.

Peace.
That must have been fantastic. Unfortunately I never saw the Stones or Faces live. I was only 10-12 years old when Faces were touring. This was several years before I started going to concerts. Even as a young kid I loved "Stay With Me" by Faces. I really liked Rod Stewart when I was a kid, and STILL love his first 4 or 5 albums for Mercury Records. Especially Every Picture Tells A Story, which MAY be my favorite rock album all-time.

Hey, BM. Generally I like when band's cover classic sounds.

What I admired about the Faces and Stones was their covers of Motown artist's music.

The Stones version of Just My Imagination and Rod's spin on I'm Losing You add a different flavor to classic American music art The Godfather of Motown Mr. Berry Gordy created.

Back in the day I was hopeful music would be the key to finding peace and unity.

Sadly, my hopes were dashed in the 80s when HATE and VIOLENCE began seeping into popular American music.

I'm referring to REAL LIFE hate and violence that I witnessed during the 12 years I was a cop serving Child Abuse victim's Christopher Wallace's and Shawn Carter's Brooklyn, NY community.

stevie wonder, shawn carter child abuse.jpg

Peace.

Everly Brothers
Beach Boys
Fleetwood Mac
Johnny Mathis
Some great choices there. Do you prefer the early, bluesy Fleetwood Mac led by Peter Green, the middle period with Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch, or the later Mac with Lindsey and Stevie? I like all of the eras, each one had some great music made by the different bands. But my favorite era would be the early years with Peter Green, I thought they did some wonderful blues rock in the few short years they were together. Having said that, my favorite Mac album is Rumors, followed closely by Tusk and Then Play On. To me Rumors may be the most perfect pop/rock album ever made. There isn't a wasted note on it and I enjoy every song on the album.
I like them all but partial to Lindsey and Stevie. Especially The Edge of 17.....used to play that cassette all the time in the late 80's when I was racing my Buick GNX prototype I bought directly from ASC/MACLAREN that they weren't supposed to sell. The haunting beat just went with the thrill of racing and beating the competition. Always partial toward CAR music so the Beach Boys were a natural and since I owned a 61 Impala "409" back in 62 and had a J.C. WHITNEY bought a 45 record player for the car (no cassette or CD back then, would play that record over and over again....ah, my misspent youth. High school girlfriend, now my wife still together after over 50 years loved Johnny and the Everly Brothers and played them on our many dates...just wonderful memories of a time long past.

Everly Brothers
Beach Boys
Fleetwood Mac
Johnny Mathis
Some great choices there. Do you prefer the early, bluesy Fleetwood Mac led by Peter Green, the middle period with Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch, or the later Mac with Lindsey and Stevie? I like all of the eras, each one had some great music made by the different bands. But my favorite era would be the early years with Peter Green, I thought they did some wonderful blues rock in the few short years they were together. Having said that, my favorite Mac album is Rumors, followed closely by Tusk and Then Play On. To me Rumors may be the most perfect pop/rock album ever made. There isn't a wasted note on it and I enjoy every song on the album.
I like them all but partial to Lindsey and Stevie. Especially The Edge of 17.....used to play that cassette all the time in the late 80's when I was racing my Buick GNX prototype I bought directly from ASC/MACLAREN that they weren't supposed to sell. The haunting beat just went with the thrill of racing and beating the competition. Always partial toward CAR music so the Beach Boys were a natural and since I owned a 61 Impala "409" back in 62 and had a J.C. WHITNEY bought a 45 record player for the car (no cassette or CD back then, would play that record over and over again....ah, my misspent youth. High school girlfriend, now my wife still together after over 50 years loved Johnny and the Everly Brothers and played them on our many dates...just wonderful memories of a time long past.
Congratulations on your long marriage, WOW!

Everly Brothers
Beach Boys
Fleetwood Mac
Johnny Mathis
Congratulations on your long marriage, WOW!
Yes, it is longer than most here have been breathing! Also know much more than most....truly been there, done that!

My mom took me to see Santana when I was 11 and these guys
when I was 12. Wooden ships was the first song that made me want a guitar
and the first song I learned. But not for a few years later.

Thanks for the video. Are you also a fan of Neil Young's music? He's one of my top four favorites all -time.

My mom took me to see Santana when I was 11 and these guys
when I was 12. Wooden ships was the first song that made me want a guitar
and the first song I learned. But not for a few years later.

Thanks for the video. Are you also a fan of Neil Young's music? He's one of my top four favorites all -time.

Good acoustic player and writer, but I also always thought he was a little overrated because of his lead playing ( Southern Man etc ) sucking. I was more of a Rush, Skynyrd, Deep Purple fan in the 70's and 80's but he does have a lot of great songs. Same as Keith Richards.....I think he's ( Keith)a mediocre player and bad role model, but surprising good songwriter...

Not as overrated as U2, Nirvana and a lot of others though.

Last edited:
The Who
Led Zep
REM
XTC
The Clash

XTC?

I knew I liked you!!

I was lucky enough to see them before Andy Partridge developed stage fright. It was in San Francisco around the time of their black sea album. Everybody pogoed.
I love some of XTC's music. Especially the earlier album that had "Making Plans For Nigel", I can't recall the name of the album. I also really like Skylarking and Apples and Oranges. Fantastic music!

The Who
Led Zep
REM
XTC
The Clash

XTC?

I knew I liked you!!

I was lucky enough to see them before Andy Partridge developed stage fright. It was in San Francisco around the time of their black sea album. Everybody pogoed.
I love some of XTC's music. Especially the earlier album that had "Making Plans For Nigel", I can't recall the name of the album. I also really like Skylarking and Apples and Oranges. Fantastic music!
The album with "Nigel" is Drums and Wires, probably my favorite by XTC.

XTC
R.E.M.
Elvis Costello
The Who
Led Zep
REM
XTC
The Clash

XTC?

I knew I liked you!!

I used to have a tee shirt of the album cover!

I wish I still have it even if I am long past being able to fit into it.

XTC
R.E.M.
Elvis Costello
The Who
Led Zep
REM
XTC
The Clash

XTC?

I knew I liked you!!

I used to have a tee shirt of the album cover!

I wish I still have it even if I am long past being able to fit into it.
I need to replace my CD of Drums and Wires. I seem to have lost it! I MAY have sold it to a used record store years ago when I was hard up for cash. Thanks for re-igniting my interest in the band.

I grew up somewhat sheltered by location and my father's dislike for rock n roll. He was an orchestra leader for string and swing bands. Unless it was top 40 I knew nothing about rock n roll until after my 15th birthday, 1977.

Pink Floyd: First Floyd tune I heard was On The Run. I hated it, so we swapped albums. Truth is I'm still not a fan. Turns out the album was another masterpiece. Second time was the tune Comfortably Numb, 1979, and I couldn't believe my ears. First I heard the Wall album was my first LSD trip as well, bummer I lost my keys for 3-4 hours. If I'm stuck on a desert Island give me Floyd with Waters. The albums following The Wall pretty well suck IMO. Waters produced better music solo.

Led Zeppelin: Dark, masterful. Every song is great for 5-6 straight albums. Someone made a deal with the devil, and I'm pretty sure that was Jimmy Page (JK, (maybe)). I think they peaked with Houses of the Holy, then came the decline. They were just too high.

Jimmy Hendrix: I don't know, maybe he's the guy who dealt with the devil. There must be an explanation for that kind of talent. Seems he's a 1000 year guy, or so.

Gordon Lightfoot: Folk is some of the best music out there, and Lightfoot was nothing short of pure talent. He wrote my favorite song too, it helps.

Honorable mention Rolling Stones. Older I get the more I appreciate em. As Rock/Blues goes, Stones are on Mt. Rushmore with the Beatles, Floyd and Zep.

Ozzy Osbourne has shown real endurance over the decades
Dean Martin really earned his title as the king of cool
Nicki Minaj superb singer in the modern era
Dio great voice, and his signature tune Man on the Silver Mountain reminds me of Trump.

I grew up somewhat sheltered by location and my father's dislike for rock n roll. He was an orchestra leader for string and swing bands. Unless it was top 40 I knew nothing about rock n roll until after my 15th birthday, 1977.

Pink Floyd: First Floyd tune I heard was On The Run. I hated it, so we swapped albums. Truth is I'm still not a fan. Turns out the album was another masterpiece. Second time was the tune Comfortably Numb, 1979, and I couldn't believe my ears. First I heard the Wall album was my first LSD trip as well, bummer I lost my keys for 3-4 hours. If I'm stuck on a desert Island give me Floyd with Waters. The albums following The Wall pretty well suck IMO. Waters produced better music solo.

Led Zeppelin: Dark, masterful. Every song is great for 5-6 straight albums. Someone made a deal with the devil, and I'm pretty sure that was Jimmy Page (JK, (maybe)). I think they peaked with Houses of the Holy, then came the decline. They were just too high.

Jimmy Hendrix: I don't know, maybe he's the guy who dealt with the devil. There must be an explanation for that kind of talent. Seems he's a 1000 year guy, or so.

Gordon Lightfoot: Folk is some of the best music out there, and Lightfoot was nothing short of pure talent. He wrote my favorite song too, it helps.

Honorable mention Rolling Stones. Older I get the more I appreciate em. As Rock/Blues goes, Stones are on Mt. Rushmore with the Beatles, Floyd and Zep.

Ozzy Osbourne has shown real endurance over the decades
Dean Martin really earned his title as the king of cool
Nicki Minaj superb singer in the modern era
Dio great voice, and his signature tune Man on the Silver Mountain reminds me of Trump.
All great singers. Dio is one of the few metal singers I like.

I enjoyed Dan Fogelberg for a long time.

God rest his talented soul.
He was mighty fine. It's a shame he died so young. I saw him live twice, he sounded great both times. My favorite album by him is Phoenix. I don't believe I've ever had the CD version of it, I believe I still have the vinyl. Another CD I need to add to my collection!

Forum List

Back