Madrassas in our public schools

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Jihad In Schools?
INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
7/9/2007

Political Correctness: Seems the ACLU couldn't care less that a San Diego public school has set aside 15 minutes of classroom instruction time for Muslim students to pray, while non-Muslims twiddle their thumbs.

Right now it has no plans to legally challenge the budding madrassa as endorsement of a religion by government. Apparently the establishment clause only applies to the practice of Judeo-Christian rituals in public places.

The special accommodations for Carver Elementary's nearly 100 Somali Muslims don't stop with organized prayer. The school cafeteria has banned pork and other foods that conflict with the Islamic diet.

And the K-8 school has even added Arabic — the language of the Quran — to its curriculum, while segregating classes for girls, a la the Taliban.

In effect, Carver administrators have carved out a school within a school expressly for Muslims, elevating them above Christian and Jewish students. They've had 15 minutes of instruction time taken away from them, so Muslims can roll out their pray mats.

It amounts to a special privilege afforded a specific religion, which plainly does not have our best interests at heart. That same privilege is not extended to other faiths that are part of our traditional culture — and do not wish us ill or pray for the demise of our system of government.

Tough, say Muslim-rights groups. The Council on American-Islamic Relations, which is defending the Carver program, insists public schools must cater to the growing number of Muslim students. "Our country is transforming demographically, religiously," said the spokesman for CAIR's San Diego chapter. "Our country has to now accommodate things that are not traditionally accounted for before."

But when does accommodation become promotion? In California's brave new schools, Johnny has been forced to recite the Quran along with Ahmed.

Seventh-graders at a San Francisco-area school were required, even after 9/11, to "become Muslims" for two full weeks as part of California's world history curriculum. This included reciting the Muslim profession of faith — "Allah is the only true God and Muhammad is his messenger" — and chanting "Praise be to Allah" in response to teacher prompts.

Parents naturally were outraged that teachers would be shoving Islamic beliefs down their children's throats. And some of them sued the school district, only to lose in federal court. They appealed, but the ultra-liberal 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals out of San Francisco ruled that such Islamic catechism is constitutional.

There's a stealth jihad under way in our schools, and school officials, wittingly or not, are aiding it. The ACLU, which operates from a double standard, refuses to step in. That leaves it up to parents to stand up and insist that the purpose of our tax-supported public schools is to educate our children in English as Americans.

If Muslims want to spend class time bowing and praying to Allah and learning in Arabic, they have the right and the freedom to attend private Islamic schools.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?secid=1501&status=article&id=268874251390676

Unless ALL religions are accorded the same right in our public schools, it should not be allowed at all.

It is not for our public schools to cater to the inherently irrational beliefs of any religion. Unless, of course, the public schools present a critical examination of religion in a comparative religion course. But that would provide the students with the critical thinking skills they might use to break the shackles of whatever religious tradition is being foisted on them from the cradle by well-meaning but misguided parents. And we can't have that now, can we? After all, a population capable of seeing beyond the patent absurdities of religion will be capable of seeing past the even more obvious absurdities of politicians.

islamo nazi terrorists are the biggest global threat, and the vast majority committed is by them.

Unless ALL religions are accorded the same right in our public schools, it should not be allowed at all.

It is not for our public schools to cater to the inherently irrational beliefs of any religion. Unless, of course, the public schools present a critical examination of religion in a comparative religion course. But that would provide the students with the critical thinking skills they might use to break the shackles of whatever religious tradition is being foisted on them from the cradle by well-meaning but misguided parents. And we can't have that now, can we? After all, a population capable of seeing beyond the patent absurdities of religion will be capable of seeing past the even more obvious absurdities of politicians.

The thing is...you might be listened too if you didn't come off as a complete bigot with that article.

OMG...its a Muslim...they must be teaching Islamic Jihad. What? Fine if you want to be against them teaching Islam in schools, but also fight against them teaching Christianity in schools. And its not a Jihad. Saying that just makes you seem ignorant.

Lets review.

Nazi's wanted global control

So do radical muslims

Nazi's wanted to kill all jews

So do islamic radicals

Nazi's will anyone who doesnt believe as they do

so do islamic radicals

You, know... I dont need fox news, or bush to tell me anything. My little comparison is true. We are fighting islamo-nazi terrorists, and if you are too afraid of offending people to say the truth, that is not my problem.

We are not fighting cute cuddly teddy bears.

Still love ya bp, but i cant think for myself, and just cause i agree with a conservative point of view doesnt not mean im incapable of thinking for myself

Are you for real? Or is your world view entirely informed by the propaganda arm of the Bush Administration, FOX Noise?

Are you that stupid?. Calling someone a biggot, because they expose the truth. NEWSFLASH... Radical Islam is being taught in madrasses all over the world including the u.s. , if you have your head buried in the sand, or your head up your ass, and cant handle the truth, that is not my problem. Secondly christianity is not being taught in our public school, carver is a public school teaching islam.

I hate when idiots open their mouth. With nothing intelligent to say, I will call a spade a spade, but when im ignorant, i dont pretend to be a genius.

The thing is...you might be listened too if you didn't come off as a complete bigot with that article.

OMG...its a Muslim...they must be teaching Islamic Jihad. What? Fine if you want to be against them teaching Islam in schools, but also fight against them teaching Christianity in schools. And its not a Jihad. Saying that just makes you seem ignorant.

Lets review.

Nazi's wanted global control

So do radical muslims

Nazi's wanted to kill all jews

So do islamic radicals

Nazi's will anyone who doesnt believe as they do

so do islamic radicals

You, know... I dont need fox news, or bush to tell me anything. My little comparison is true. We are fighting islamo-nazi terrorists, and if you are too afraid of offending people to say the truth, that is not my problem.

We are not fighting cute cuddly teddy bears.

Still love ya bp, but i cant think for myself, and just cause i agree with a conservative point of view doesnt not mean im incapable of thinking for myself

Still love ya bp, <b>but i cant think for myself</b>, and just cause i agree with a conservative point of view <b>doesnt not mean im incapable of thinking for myself</b>
:wtf:

You may not <b>NEED</b> FOX Noise, but you repeat their talking points almost verbatim.

Are you that stupid?. Calling someone a biggot, because they expose the truth. NEWSFLASH... Radical Islam is being taught in madrasses all over the world including the u.s. , if you have your head buried in the sand, or your head up your ass, and cant handle the truth, that is not my problem. Secondly christianity is not being taught in our public school, carver is a public school teaching islam.

I hate when idiots open their mouth. With nothing intelligent to say, I will call a spade a spade, but when im ignorant, i dont pretend to be a genius.

Newsflash, your wrong. Radical Islam is NOT being taught in Madrasses in the US. Or, if it is, this is NOT a case of it.

Islam is different than radical Islam. This failure or inability to make the distinction is why it is bigotted.

People like larkinn dont get it. He is intellectually incapable of being honest, because he is more worried about cow towing to bullies, then dealing with real issues.

Just a friendly suggestion. Avoid calling me names Acts. I've been giving you an easy time for other reasons...but you continue acting like this and thats over.

Newsflash, your wrong. Radical Islam is NOT being taught in Madrasses in the US. Or, if it is, this is NOT a case of it.

Islam is different than radical Islam. This failure or inability to make the distinction is why it is bigotted.

Just a friendly suggestion. Avoid calling me names Acts. I've been giving you an easy time for other reasons...but you continue acting like this and thats over.

We all know that radical Islam exists within the framework of moderate Islam. So if moderate Islam is being practiced we know that most likely a faction is probably radical. Of course, these practices at Carver are only in their infancy but the potential exists.

Which is it? Shall we have religious practices in our public schools or not? If so, why does the liberal left attack Christian practices in the public schools? And if not, then why does the liberal left give Muslims a pass?

We all know that radical Islam exists within the framework of moderate Islam. So if moderate Islam is being practiced we know that most likely a faction is probably radical. Of course, these practices at Carver are only in their infancy but the potential exists.

No, sorry, but you are wrong. Radical Islam existing within the framework of moderate Islam does NOT mean that if moderate Islam is being practiced we know that most likely a faction is probably radical. If A then B does NOT imply in any way, shape or form, if B then A.

By the way, A Madrassa is an Islamic religious school. A school that allows students 15 minutes for private prayer is hardly a Madrassa.

Which is it? Shall we have religious practices in our public schools or not? If so, why does the liberal left attack Christian practices in the public schools? And if not, then why does the liberal left give Muslims a pass?

We shall allow religious practices that are required by the religion. Otherwise, no.

No, sorry, but you are wrong. Radical Islam existing within the framework of moderate Islam does NOT mean that if moderate Islam is being practiced we know that most likely a faction is probably radical. If A then B does NOT imply in any way, shape or form, if B then A.
Your logic is specious because in the REAL WORLD it is known that radical Islam DOES EXIST within the framework of moderate Islam. So unless you can otherwise prove that it does or would not potentially exist, please deal with reality.

Larkinn said:
By the way, A Madrassa is an Islamic religious school. A school that allows students 15 minutes for private prayer is hardly a Madrassa.
It could be argued that a madrassa exists at least for that daily 15 minutes.
Larkinn said:
We shall allow religious practices that are required by the religion. Otherwise, no.

Great! :eusa_angel: We should institute daily Christian prayer in all public schools. We should have our Christian children take their Bibles to school for daily reading and study. We should also teach Christian children about "intelligent design" along with the theory of evolution. I'm sure you would also be amenable to the annual celebration of Christmas! Of course any religious minorities will be free to go to a separate location if they wish to not participate in any Christian religious practices.

Somehow I think the ACLU would have conniption fits but I'm sure you can explain it to them how fair is fair.:lol:

Your logic is specious because in the REAL WORLD it is known that radical Islam DOES EXIST within the framework of moderate Islam. So unless you can otherwise prove that it does or would not potentially exist, please deal with reality.

Anything could potentially exist. However in this case it is extremely unlikely.

It could be argued that a madrassa exists at least for that daily 15 minutes.

Sure you can argue whatever you want, but you would be wrong. Allowing them to pray for 15 minutes does not make it an Islamic school.

Great! :eusa_angel: We should institute daily Christian prayer in all public schools. We should have our Christian children take their Bibles to school for daily reading and study. We should also teach Christian children about "intelligent design" along with the theory of evolution. I'm sure you would also be amenable to the annual celebration of Christmas! Of course any religious minorities will be free to go to a separate location if they wish to not participate in any Christian religious practices.

Those things are required by the religion? No? Then sorry but you are SOL.

Somehow I think the ACLU would have conniption fits but I'm sure you can explain it to them how fair is fair.:lol:

Speaking of the ACLU, its a lie that they "couldn't care less" about the school. They are studying it right now to see if it violates the separation of Church and State.

Anything could potentially exist. However in this case it is extremely unlikely.
Our country has already experienced many instances of Muslim rage. We know that it exists within mosques and madrassas. Why shouldn't we be worried about the same within our schools?

Larkinn said:
Sure you can argue whatever you want, but you would be wrong. Allowing them to pray for 15 minutes does not make it an Islamic school.
If there is no official school representative present, how do you know what is going on?

Larkinn said:
Those things are required by the religion? No? Then sorry but you are SOL.
Of course those things are required if you are to become a good practicing Christian.

Larkinn said:
Speaking of the ACLU, its a lie that they "couldn't care less" about the school. They are studying it right now to see if it violates the separation of Church and State.
So far we haven't heard a peep from them. When do you expect to hear anything? I'm sure such a fine, upstanding, intelligent, johnny-on-the-spot group of attorneys who are always so finely attuned to the abhorrent dangers of religion within our public schools would at least have some kind of statement by now about the Carver situation?

Our country has already experienced many instances of Muslim rage. We know that it exists within mosques and madrassas. Why shouldn't we be worried about the same within our schools?

Because, as I said, 15 minutes of silent prayer is NOT the same as as Madrassa. Fundamentalism and 15 minutes of prayer are very very different things. You wouldn't think of comparing those who go to Church with Fredd Phelps would you? Then why do you think its fair to do so for Muslims?

If there is no official school representative present, how do you know what is going on?

Because it SAYS what is going on. 15 minutes of prayer is not the same thing as religious fundamentalism.

Of course those things are required if you are to become a good practicing Christian.

It is NOT required to do those things in school.

So far we haven't heard a peep from them. When do you expect to hear anything? I'm sure such a fine, upstanding, intelligent, johnny-on-the-spot group of attorneys who are always so finely attuned to the abhorrent dangers of religion within our public schools would at least have some kind of statement by now about the Carver situation?

http://www.aclusandiego.org/news_item.php?article_id=000273

Took 5 seconds on google to find it. Merely because it hasn't been mass reported does not mean they made no statement. Your dislike for them colours your judgement.

Even if the ACLU were to wish to bring a case forward about this school, it can't happen overnight. I think that the ACLU in this case would not itself have standing to challenge the school district. If it chooses to ever bring a lawsuit, it would have to do so on behalf of a parent/child at Carver who believed that there child was being harmed by the 15 minute prayer recess, which means they first must identify a plaintiff.

However, as Larkin pointed out, they are looking into it.

Because, as I said, 15 minutes of silent prayer is NOT the same as as Madrassa. Fundamentalism and 15 minutes of prayer are very very different things. You wouldn't think of comparing those who go to Church with Fredd Phelps would you? Then why do you think its fair to do so for Muslims?
How do you know for sure that silent prayer is the ONLY thing going on? And what about before and after prayers when the students co-mingle? There appears to be ample opportunity for "subversive meetings". What if some self-declared teenager imam with terrorist tendencies began prayer time with his special thoughts? Hello Columbine?

Larkinn said:
Because it SAYS what is going on. 15 minutes of prayer is not the same thing as religious fundamentalism.
Just because it SAYS what is going on does not mean that is what is ACTUALLY going on.

Larkinn said:
It is NOT required to do those things in school.
It is also not required for Muslims to pray in a public school. Let their parents come get them to pray elsewhere at their required times. If that's too hard to do, then let the parents enroll them in a madrassa, not a public school. If Muslims can get special time and places for prayer, then I don't see why the majority of public schools can't provide special times and places for Christian prayer.

Larkinn said:
http://www.aclusandiego.org/news_item.php?article_id=000273

Took 5 seconds on google to find it. Merely because it hasn't been mass reported does not mean they made no statement. Your dislike for them colours your judgement.

Talk about a softball statement. Tell me, when exactly is the lawsuit forthcoming? The tenth of never?

They state: "The ACLU takes seriously both the free exercise of religion and the need to prevent governments and public schools from promoting particular religious beliefs and practices." I guess to the ACLU when a school provides time and places for groups of Muslims to pray they are not promoting religion but when a school provides elective (meaning you can choose to attend or not) courses on Christianity they are promoting religion. Go figure.

Even if the ACLU were to wish to bring a case forward about this school, it can't happen overnight. I think that the ACLU in this case would not itself have standing to challenge the school district. If it chooses to ever bring a lawsuit, it would have to do so on behalf of a parent/child at Carver who believed that there child was being harmed by the 15 minute prayer recess, which means they first must identify a plaintiff.

However, as Larkin pointed out, they are looking into it.

There is no plaintiff because Christians are by and large tolerant....unlike certain groups.

It's about time that changed before we get run over.

Forum List

Back