Lets talk EVs

Redfish

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2013
The Big Easy
If you buy an EV, is the electricity to recharge it free? how is that electricity generated? how long do the batteries last, how much is a replacement. and how do we dispose of the toxic old batteries? How much to install a charging station in your garage and how much will your power bill increase if you recharge the EV each night?

It makes no economic sense, it makes no environmental sense.

I find it sad that you only see this as politics.

You want to counter the choices of others over your politics.

Buying a huge truck that gets 13 mpg makes no economic or environmental sense to drive around town but are you going to condemn that?

I find it sad that you only see this as politics.

You want to counter the choices of others over your politics.

Buying a huge truck that gets 13 mpg makes no economic or environmental sense to drive around town but are you going to condemn that?
yes, some of it is politics, but most is simple economics. if the guy with the truck can afford the fuel and tires, and purchase price, then its none of your fricken business.

If you buy an EV, is the electricity to recharge it free? how is that electricity generated? how long do the batteries last, how much is a replacement. and how do we dispose of the toxic old batteries? How much to install a charging station in your garage and how much will your power bill increase if you recharge the EV each night?

Badger uses solar panels to recharge ebikes while stationary or in motion (mounted on a trailer). The mobile idea is from the Aspera ev. It costs about $.25 per charge using the grid, and nothing after the solar equipment is paid for. Winter overcast will still recharge, though the batteries themselves must be protected from sub-zero temps and is much slower @ northern latitudes.

The current enclosed etrike for old people will also mimic Aspera with a built-in flexible panel and have reverse-polarity ventilation fans that generate electricity when coasting (akin to what is known as "regen") and when braking (going down hills).

Badger uses solar panels to recharge ebikes while stationary or in motion (mounted on a trailer). The mobile idea is from the Aspera ev. It costs about $.25 per charge using the grid, and nothing after the solar equipment is paid for. Winter overcast will still recharge, though the batteries themselves must be protected from sub-zero temps and is much slower @ northern latitudes.

The current enclosed etrike for old people will also mimic Aspera with a built-in flexible panel and have reverse-polarity ventilation fans that generate electricity when coasting (akin to what is known as "regen") and when braking (going down hills).
bikes are not cars or trucks, false analogy.

I do the same. Built my own e-bike and bought a cheap solar charger on Amazon. I don't ride it all the time but the small charger gets it charged. I can get around 20 miles or so up to 25 mph. It's a very cheap efficient way to get around town.

we agree on that, but when the gov't forces us to buy something that is no longer a free choice and we should and must object.

But that has nothing to do with what other freely choose and the reasons for it.

The very first thing you don't do with spent lithium is give it back to the dipshit Chinese. You set on it until American lithium recycling gathers momentum. duh

But that has nothing to do with what other freely choose and the reasons for it.
I don't give a flying fuck if you buy and like your little solar bike, but when the gov't tells me I have to buy and ride one I will be ready to fight.

I don't give a flying fuck if you buy and like your little solar bike, but when the gov't tells me I have to buy and ride one I will be ready to fight.

Go for it. In the mean time leave people to their choices.

I do the same. Built my own e-bike and bought a cheap solar charger on Amazon. I don't ride it all the time but the small charger gets it charged. I can get around 20 miles or so up to 25 mph. It's a very cheap efficient way to get around town.
Excellent! The back-up fan generator on the forthcoming etrike can take up the recharging slack during winter. One simply closes off the vents because of the cold air entering the cabin, though can still turn the propellers, which must be fed into some kind of voltage regulator to clean up the signal so to get it to the battery.

While not condoning pass-through charging, the current system is separate from the one running the motor.

Forum List

Back