Zone1 Is the decline of societies morals....

Decline of society morals is juxtaposed to the decline in relgion

• Yes

• Possibly

• No

• Something that didn't cross my mind

Results are only viewable after voting.
Are Christians moral only because of their religion?

Atheists are moral because they feel it's the right way to be.

Is the decline of morals in society juxtaposed to the decline in religion?

I would say yes, and it's a simple enough question.
Such is the reactionary right.

For more than 2000 years reactionary conservatives have bemoaned the mythical ‘decline of social morals,’ the consequence of their unwarranted fear of positive, beneficial change, the consequence of their authoritarian need to compel conformity and oppose dissent, and the consequence of the inherent arrogance of failed, wrongheaded conservative social and political dogma.

Such is the reactionary right.

For more than 2000 years reactionary conservatives have bemoaned the mythical ‘decline of social morals,’ the consequence of their unwarranted fear of positive, beneficial change, the consequence of their authoritarian need to compel conformity and oppose dissent, and the consequence of the inherent arrogance of failed, wrongheaded conservative social and political dogma.
Compelling conformity and opposing dissent is what our government is doing. They are not conservative by a long shot.

Compelling conformity and opposing dissent is what our government is doing. They are not conservative by a long shot.
Moral decline: The myth that won’t go away

The dishonest right will continue to lie about non-existent ‘moral decay’ for some perceived partisan gain – just as conservatives lie about most anything else.

Moral decline: The myth that won’t go away

The dishonest right will continue to lie about non-existent ‘moral decay’ for some perceived partisan gain – just as conservatives lie about most anything else.
You think moral decline is a myth? Try waking up.

Based on what? Your feelings? What "feels right" to one person may not feel right to another. If a true morality exists, it is not subjective. So again, you are "moral" based on what?

Based on what? Your feelings? What "feels right" to one person may not feel right to another. If a true morality exists, it is not subjective. So again, you are "moral" based on what?
My suggestion is, my morality doesn't need to be based on my belief of an imaginary god. What causes you to act moral?

All morality is subjective.

What one society might call immoral another can call perfectly acceptable.

My suggestion is, my morality doesn't need to be based on my belief of an imaginary god. What causes you to act moral?

That didn't answer the question. You claimed atheists were moral because they feel it's the "right way to be." Who says what is "right"? What does that word even mean to you? What are you basing it on?

Come on, you should be able to defend your own worldview.

All morality is subjective.

What one society might call immoral another can call perfectly acceptable.

If that's true, then your morals are no better than Jeffrey Dahmer's. Logically, you can't say yours are any better than his, and you can't even criticize his morals, if all morality is subjective.

Are you going to live like you actually believe that?

If that's true, then your morals are no better than Jeffrey Dahmer's. Logically, you can't say yours are any better than his, and you can't even criticize his morals, if morality is subjective.

Are you going to live like you actually believe that?

I don't criticize his morals. And I don't agree with them either. The guy was guilty of some truly heinous acts that cannot be denied but morals have nothing to do with it.

I know that ALL human behavior exists on a continuum so in the broadest sense ALL human behavior is normal to some degree.

Now as societies have evolved so have societal morals because there are obviously behaviors that are beneficial to society as a whole that we want to encourage and behaviors that are detrimental to society as a whole that we want to discourage. This is the origin of morals.

Are Christians moral only because of their religion?

To measure oneself against morals, what criteria do Christians and atheists use? We all know Christians have the 10 commandments in the Bible, so what do atheists use?

Forum List

Back