Insomnia

Working on irrigation systems all afternoon two days in a row with light rain and 50 degrees seems to have made me quite sleepy tonight.

Hammie stays awake worrying what time zones we all live in.

That's not good, worrying can cause ulcers.

I used to have very bad insomnia when I was younger. I don't get it much any more, but every once in awhile, it hits me.

Usually it was because I couldn't settle my mind down. What helped was focusing on one thing away from whatever was on my mind. That could be music or radio talk shows. To this day, I go to sleep listening to podcasts.

When I still can't get to sleep, what often helps is moving to somewhere different. That could be something as simple as reversing my position and putting my head at the foot of the bed. Usually, it involves moving to somewhere else. Sometimes that is the couch or the floor. If that doesn't work, then I'll get up for 30-45 minutes and occupy some time.

Insomnia sucks.

I've had bouts of insomnia for most of my adult life. I spend the sleepless parts of the night reading. Insomnia has allowed me to read more books than I would have otherwise.
Do you just stay in your room or do you get out of bed once you wake up?
I stay in bed. There's a reading light set up above the bed and the headboard is a bookcase! Happily, my reading does not disturb my husband.
I just get up and get on here or clean or cook.
That's cool that you get some chores done. I keep thinking one of these nights I'll go outside and bird watch. It would be fun to see an owl.

I've had bouts of insomnia for most of my adult life. I spend the sleepless parts of the night reading. Insomnia has allowed me to read more books than I would have otherwise.

Some time ago, I tried sleeping tablets, which they did work, but I told my doctor that I was not taking them anymore, I just didn't want to get hooked on sleeping pills.
How much do you exercise? I wear myself out with yard work or racquetball every day...usually sleep from 9 to 6....

Most mornings I go swimming, so that's exercise. A few months ago, I went to bed at about 11pm and I somehow slept for 8 hours and woke up with a Migraine. I'm sure this must have been because 8 hours to me is oversleeping, being used to just getting 4 hours for so long a time.

I here ya Lucy.
Part of my problem is waking up at 5:00am everyday for 25 years.
But I didnt mind because I was home by 3:00 everyday.
After 4 years of retirement I still cant kick the early wake up call,but to tell you the truth I love the early mornings.
It's my favorite time of day.

You had a routine for so long, for 25 years, so you've been conditioned to wake up at 5am.

I stay in bed. There's a reading light set up above the bed and the headboard is a bookcase! Happily, my reading does not disturb my husband.
That's cool that you get some chores done. I keep thinking one of these nights I'll go outside and bird watch. It would be fun to see an owl.
Stay safe.

Stay safe.

Owls aren't dangerous....or are they? I love Owls, they're beautiful creatures.

Stay safe.

:) No, I meant going outside in the middle of the night.

I have had this problem since childhood. I will get about 4 hours of sleep on a good night. Sometimes it gets really bad and I'm up for 36-48 hours straight. Eventually I shut down and sleep for 18-20 hours. I tried otc products like sleep aid but it takes 4 or 5 to actually make me fall asleep. About the only thing I haven't tried is seeing a psychiatrist.

I've always loved Owls, gorgeous creatures:

parliament14.jpg

A Parliament of Owls:

large.jpg

I have had this problem since childhood. I will get about 4 hours of sleep on a good night. Sometimes it gets really bad and I'm up for 36-48 hours straight. Eventually I shut down and sleep for 18-20 hours. I tried otc products like sleep aid but it takes 4 or 5 to actually make me fall asleep. About the only thing I haven't tried is seeing a psychiatrist.

Wow that's extreme, 36-48 hours, so how often is it that extreme?

Stay safe.

Oh okay, sorry :eusa_doh:

Stay safe.

Oh okay, sorry :eusa_doh:
It's okay. :)

It happens about every 2 weeks or so. I use the time to clean and do chores. Keeps my house looking immaculate. Although my cabinets are starting to look like Patrick Bergin's in Sleeping With the Enemy.

It happens about every 2 weeks or so. I use the time to clean and do chores. Keeps my house looking immaculate. Although my cabinets are starting to look like Patrick Bergin's in Sleeping With the Enemy.
That was a great movie.

Working on irrigation systems all afternoon two days in a row with light rain and 50 degrees seems to have made me quite sleepy tonight.

Hammie stays awake worrying what time zones we all live in.

Dani is up early today, I have it coming up 7am in Iran, his posts like everyone in the world that posts here, including our two Russian friends, all posts are set to Forum Time and not to the particular time zone of each nation.

Forum List

Back