Bring Out Your Best-- The Sequel

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
What allows you to function at your very best? Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
What allows me to type at my best? Going slllllooooowly. Sorry for the typo in the OP. My edit function isn't working or I'd fix it myself.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I'd say that if you want to practice virtue more than non-virtue, you hang out with the virtuous.

Honesty. I need to always be honest....but most of all be around honesty.

Hmm, honesty in what sense? How about honesty with yourself? Nothing personal to you, Kat, just keeping the conversation going.

I'm aware that some people think honesty is saying every negative you know about someone else but ignoring your own flaws.

That's why Buddhism brings out my best. "Do no non-virtue absolutely. Practice virtue thoroughly. Completely tame your own mind. This is the Buddha's teachings".

If someone's having a bad day, I'm not the kind of honest to say to them, "What's the matter with you, you look like shit?"

I'm thinking that letting go of the past really helps me bring out my best.

I think birds of a feather probably do flock together. That's why I never surround myself with racist bigots or homophobic people. I don't associate with complainers at my job either, because I don't want that type of negativity rubbing off on me.

I don't have to worry about that now that I work from home, and all of our meetings are done through a webagent and Skype, so that's a big plus, not having to deal with negative people at work.

What allows you to functijon at your very best? Discuss.
Functioning my best is solely up to me, my attitude and my level of determination. If I exercise fidelity to my commitment to complete the task or undertaking at hand there should be no problem doing my best.

Functioning my best is solely up to me, my attitude and my level of determination. If I exercise fidelity to my commitment to complete the task or undertaking at hand there should be no problem doing my best.
Some people are such good examples, and I love so much that they bring out my best. I see it differently from you.

I think birds of a feather probably do flock together. That's why I never surround myself with racist bigots or homophobic people. I don't associate with complainers at my job either, because I don't want that type of negativity rubbing off on me.

I don't have to worry about that now that I work from home, and all of our meetings are done through a webagent and Skype, so that's a big plus, not having to deal with negative people at work.
Birds of a feather flock together reminds me to stay away from people who are energy drainers.

Birds of a feather flock together reminds me to stay away from people who are energy drainers.

You'll have to be more specific.

Some people are so negative that they affect your mood just being around them. They're kind of contaminators. Conversely, I've noticed one or twice when I was sad about something and thinking I was depressed to come across a really depressed and unhappy person, say a cashier in a store, that it made me feel better.

I've been reading a lot of Rick Hanson's neuropsychology. He says LITERALLY, the brain fixes the negative more efficiently and easier than the positive. One has to slow down and really take in something positive for at least 30 seconds to get it to imprint and be a resource.

Some people are such good examples, and I love so much that they bring out my best. I see it differently from you.
I enjoy working on a team when the opportunity arises, but most of my life's work is an individual effort interacting with others on various aspects of the final project. It is not an either or scenario but collective from the moment I rise to the moment I sleep.

Hmm, honesty in what sense? How about honesty with yourself? Nothing personal to you, Kat, just keeping the conversation going.

I'm aware that some people think honesty is saying every negative you know about someone else but ignoring your own flaws.

That's why Buddhism brings out my best. "Do no non-virtue absolutely. Practice virtue thoroughly. Completely tame your own mind. This is the Buddha's teachings".

If someone's having a bad day, I'm not the kind of honest to say to them, "What's the matter with you, you look like shit?"

Honesty in every sense. Tell the truth. Definitely not saying all negative about someone else (though that does not me allowing others to run over you - which I am bad to do)
Try to be a positive influence, and not live in the gutter with negative, and hypocritical people.
And yes, there are many I know that only see faults of others, and think they have none. Those are foolish people.

Some people are so negative that they affect your mood just being around them. They're kind of contaminators. Conversely, I've noticed one or twice when I was sad about something and thinking I was depressed to come across a really depressed and unhappy person, say a cashier in a store, that it made me feel better.

That's why I choose not to surround myself with those types of people. I don't need a sad cashier to make me feel better about my life.

When I'm sad and I see someone in worse shape than me, it lets me drop my burden easily. It makes me immediately wish happiness for that person.

You here to drop a putdown? "I don't need a sad cashier to make me feel better about my life"

Too bad. We're done talking.

Why so defensive? And no, I don't need to pity someone to make me feel better about my life.

Could not agree more. In fact when I am concentrating on my own life I am too focused on what I have in front of me which allows me to be more of who I am and allows me to actually do some good in the lives of others through a charity I set up and is going quite nicely in its third year.

Forum List

Back