I'm all for Biden's ignorant alternative energy....when all positive values of fossil fuels are duplicated by EVs...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Having grown up in a state that is "All ears"... I've learned over 78 years that all factors be they ever so minor and detailed, should BE considered.
Read how a realistic person answers a supposedly "woke" major corporation pushing their EVs.

"For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m re-posting it-
A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the mid-west. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.
JD wants him to go all electric soon.
He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"
There was dead silence on the other end of the phone.
When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more. It is analyzed at time of sale. It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time. When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the American farmer. These people are out of control. They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."
Look for the cost of your box of cornflakes to triple in the next 24 months...”
Wake up! Stand up! Speak up!"

Having grown up in a state that is "All ears"... I've learned over 78 years that all factors be they ever so minor and detailed, should BE considered.
Read how a realistic person answers a supposedly "woke" major corporation pushing their EVs.

"For those of you that think electric vehicles are the answer- this is a true story from a farmer in the Midwest- and I’m re-posting it-
A close friend farms over 10,000 acres of corn in the mid-west. The property is spread out over 3 counties. His operation is a "partnership farm" with John Deere. They use the larger farm operations as demonstration projects for promotion and development of new equipment. He recently received a phone call from his John Deere representative, and they want the farm to go to electric tractors and combines in 2023. He currently has 5 diesel combines that cost $900,000 each that are traded in every 3 years. Also, over 10 really BIG tractors.
He said: "Ok, I have some questions. How do I charge these combines when they are 3 counties away from the shop in the middle of a cornfield, in the middle of nowhere?" "How do I run them 24 hours a day for 10 or 12 days straight when the harvest is ready, and the weather is coming in?" "How do I get a 50,000+ lb. combine that takes up the width of an entire road back to the shop 20 miles away when the battery goes dead?"
When the corn is ready to harvest, it has to have the proper sugar and moisture content. If it is too wet, it has to be put in giant dryers that burn natural or propane gas, and lots of it. Harvest time is critical because if it degrades in sugar content or quality, it can drop the value of his crop by half a million dollars or more. It is analyzed at time of sale. It is standard procedure to run these machines 10 to 12 days straight, 24 hours a day at peak harvest time. When they need fuel, a tanker truck delivers it, and the machines keep going. John Deere's only answer is "we're working on it." They are being pushed by the lefty Dems in the government to force these electric machines on the American farmer. These people are out of control. They are messing with the production of food crops that feed people and livestock... all in the name of their "green dream."
You're really only trying to make a statement against climate change and mainstream science, and you're using EV's as your cover.

Considering the events of the last few weeks, is it now too extremist to just honestly put down science and fully support more fossil fuels?

Seems like one of those cute stories about the small guy standing up to the big guy's bs. I would doubt that John Deere would push something down any farmer's throat without thinking through the details. They didn't get to be the giant they are on America's farms by going half-cocked on technology.

Did some research and found this...

John Deere releases video of GridCON electric tractor​

The John Deere GridCON electric tractor is interestingly enough not powered by its own batteries, but by a power cable. In 2016 John Deere already developed SESAM: a fully electric 6R-series tractor, in which the engine and fuel tank were replaced by a huge battery package.

But although the manufacturer firmly believes there is a future for fully electric farm vehicles such as tractors, the problem with current battery technology is that it cannot supply enough power long enough for heavy duty applications. Hence it developed the GridCON.

The name of the tractor refers to a so-called ‘Smart Grid’ electricity network, where for instance on a farm energy can be supplied by solar panels, windmills and manure digesters, after which the energy is distributed by the Smart Grid network. This energy in turn could be used to power the tractor, using a cable.

In other words, John Deere will only promote the new EV tractors... if, and it's a big if... the energy on the farm produces their own energy and which can then be distributed by a grid.

Seems like one of those cute stories about the small guy standing up to the big guy's bs. I would doubt that John Deere would push something down any farmer's throat without thinking through the details. They didn't get to be the giant they are on America's farms by going half-cocked on technology.

The John Deere GridCON electric tractor is interestingly enough not powered by its own batteries, but by a power cable. In 2016 John Deere already developed SESAM: a fully electric 6R-series tractor, in which the engine and fuel tank were replaced by a huge battery package.

But although the manufacturer firmly believes there is a future for fully electric farm vehicles such as tractors, the problem with current battery technology is that it cannot supply enough power long enough for heavy duty applications. Hence it developed the GridCON.

The name of the tractor refers to a so-called ‘Smart Grid’ electricity network, where for instance on a farm energy can be supplied by solar panels, windmills and manure digesters, after which the energy is distributed by the Smart Grid network. This energy in turn could be used to power the tractor, using a cable.

In other words, John Deere will only promote the new EV tractors... if, and it's a big if... the energy on the farm produces their own energy and which can then be distributed by a grid.
That sounds so efficient. Except again details, details,details..

The photovoltaics, which turn sunlight into energy, are typically sandwiched between layers of copolymers. One of the petrochemical building blocks common to many of the copolymers is ethylene—a petrochemical derived from oil and natural gas. Solar energy is not alone in its connection to petrochemicals.

So the farm has solar panels made from ever shrinking use of oil for gas so the price for "OIL" to be used in
tires, (2 billion tires a year takes 7 gallons of oil)...300 million barrels..
and these are just 2 of the 6,000 products affected by Biden's desire to rid fossil fuels, i.e. OIL!
Tires. How will tires be produced when 7 gallons of oil is used to produce 1 tire and there is no oil?
So 2 billion tires using 7 gallons per tire equals 300 million barrels of fossil fuels... what Biden guarantees to get rid of.
The global tire market is evaluated to be selling more than 2 Billion tires annually as of 2020.
Oh and what would the oil used to create synthetic lubricants for the windmills cost?
AGAIN devil is in the details!
Oil is used for more than gas, more than tires, more than lubricants... get rid of fossil fuels as Biden wants you RAISE the costs
of 6,000 products that use oil!

If gas were the one and ONLY thing oil was good for MAYBE there would be an alternative.
But check out this partial list of 6,000 everyday items that uses oil!

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 2.42.26 PM.png

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)​

(A note to readers: This list came from a print publication in 1974. We failed to identify the source document and have been unable to find a list of the “6,000 items” since. In fact, since 1974 there have been hundreds of additional items replaced with plastic duplicates, medical syringes for example. So should you wish to find the complete list of products made from petroleum you will most likely have to compose it yourself.)
One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like:
SolventsDiesel fuelMotor OilBearing Grease
InkFloor WaxBallpoint PensFootball Cleats
UpholsterySweatersBoatsInsecticides
Bicycle TiresSports Car BodiesNail PolishFishing lures
DressesTiresGolf BagsPerfumes
CassettesDishwasher partsTool BoxesShoe Polish
Motorcycle HelmetCaulkingPetroleum JellyTransparent Tape
CD PlayerFaucet WashersAntisepticsClothesline
CurtainsFood PreservativesBasketballsSoap
Vitamin CapsulesAntihistaminesPursesShoes
DashboardsCortisoneDeodorantShoelace Aglets
PuttyDyesPanty HoseRefrigerant
PercolatorsLife JacketsRubbing AlcoholLinings
SkisTV CabinetsShag RugsElectrician’s Tape
Tool RacksCar Battery CasesEpoxyPaint
MopsSlacksInsect RepellentOil Filters
UmbrellasYarnFertilizersHair Coloring
RoofingToilet SeatsFishing RodsLipstick
Denture AdhesiveLinoleumIce Cube TraysSynthetic Rubber
SpeakersPlastic WoodElectric BlanketsGlycerin
Tennis RacketsRubber CementFishing BootsDice
Nylon RopeCandlesTrash BagsHouse Paint
Water PipesHand LotionRoller SkatesSurf Boards
ShampooWheelsPaint RollersShower Curtains
Guitar StringsLuggageAspirinSafety Glasses
AntifreezeFootball HelmetsAwningsEyeglasses
ClothesToothbrushesIce ChestsFootballs
CombsCD’s & DVD’sPaint BrushesDetergents
VaporizersBalloonsSun GlassesTents
Heart ValvesCrayonsParachutesTelephones
EnamelPillowsDishesCameras
AnestheticsArtificial TurfArtificial limbsBandages
DenturesModel CarsFolding DoorsHair Curlers
Cold creamMovie filmContact lensesDrinking Cups
Fan BeltsCar EnamelShaving CreamAmmonia
RefrigeratorsGolf BallsToothpasteGasoline

"Climate change" how?
Global energy-related carbon dioxide emissions rose by 6% in 2021 to 36.3 billion tonnes,
Do trees absorb Co2?
According to the Arbor Day Foundation , in one year a mature tree will absorb more than 48 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and release oxygen in exchange.
How many Co2 absorbing trees in the world? 3 Trillion.
Science | AAAS
3 trillion trees @48 lbs of C02 absorbed equals 144 trillion pounds or 72 billion tons of C02.
Explain how when ALL of C02 emitted is absorbed with capacity of another 36 billion tons of C02.
Someone please explain that "devil in the details".

That sounds so efficient. Except again details, details,details..

The photovoltaics, which turn sunlight into energy, are typically sandwiched between layers of copolymers. One of the petrochemical building blocks common to many of the copolymers is ethylene—a petrochemical derived from oil and natural gas. Solar energy is not alone in its connection to petrochemicals.

So the farm has solar panels made from ever shrinking use of oil for gas so the price for "OIL" to be used in
tires, (2 billion tires a year takes 7 gallons of oil)...300 million barrels..
and these are just 2 of the 6,000 products affected by Biden's desire to rid fossil fuels, i.e. OIL!
Tires. How will tires be produced when 7 gallons of oil is used to produce 1 tire and there is no oil?
So 2 billion tires using 7 gallons per tire equals 300 million barrels of fossil fuels... what Biden guarantees to get rid of.
The global tire market is evaluated to be selling more than 2 Billion tires annually as of 2020.
Oh and what would the oil used to create synthetic lubricants for the windmills cost?
AGAIN devil is in the details!
Oil is used for more than gas, more than tires, more than lubricants... get rid of fossil fuels as Biden wants you RAISE the costs
of 6,000 products that use oil!
The difference between using petroleum as a material resource and using it as a fuel are so obvious and so fundamental that you've marked yourself here as a simple fool.

The difference between using petroleum as a material resource and using it as a fuel are so obvious and so fundamental that you've marked yourself here as a simple fool.
OK. So let's say all cars and trucks are EVs. Fossil fuel no longer used as fuel. Right? We agree on that?
So out of one barrel of oil..About 45 percent of a typical barrel of crude oil is refined into gasoline. An additional 29 percent is refined to diesel fuel. (By the way here are the FACTS' sources:
So that leaves about 25% as a material source.
Most people of your leaning don't comprehend the concept of "demand and supply".
If the supply diminishes the price goes up.
So with 75% of the demand reduced prices will dramatically drop price of oil for material resource...which is good.
But the remaining 25% production WILL also drop as the major source oil production will have no financial incentive
to spend an average of about 17% of budgets (again facts:
So then oil refineries will see 75% of their results no longer needed... "..closures of refineries in 2019 and 202o reduced U.S. refinery capacity by more than a million barrels per day. And by the end of 2023"
So with all indications that

Will Any New Refineries Be Built in the United States?​

Chevron CEO Mike Wirth does not expect another oil refinery to be built in the United States ever again, due to federal government policies. The last significant refinery built in the United States was in 1976. (A small refinery came online in 2020 in North Dakota). Over the last two years, due to reduced demand from the pandemic and Presidnt Biden’s stated policy to reduce the demand for petroleum products,
Oil refinery companies already believing Biden's policy to reduce oil, aren't spending any money on NEW refineries and
will definitely close existing refineries as 75% of their production is eliminated by Biden's policy!
So yup go ahead destroy the market for 75% of oil and consider some simple thoughts:
With 300 million barrels of oil used to produce 2 billion tires, what will the loss of 75% of demand do to the costs of oil?

OK. So let's say all cars and trucks are EVs. Fossil fuel no longer used as fuel. Right? We agree on that?
That's a lovely hypothetical but I doubt we agree on much of anything.

So out of one barrel of oil..About 45 percent of a typical barrel of crude oil is refined into gasoline. An additional 29 percent is refined to diesel fuel. (By the way here are the FACTS' sources:

So that leaves about 25% as a material source.

Most people of your leaning don't comprehend the concept of "demand and supply".

Most people of YOUR leaning make ignorant, ad hominem remarks that have no basis nor bearing on the conversation.

If the supply diminishes the price goes up.
So with 75% of the demand reduced prices will dramatically drop price of oil for material resource...which is good.

It would be nice if you could reliably construct valid sentences. The price of crude oil will drop from the loss of demand for fuel. Whether or not that's good depends on your viewpoint.

But the remaining 25% production WILL also drop as the major source oil production will have no financial incentive

The demand for hydrocarbons as a material resource will NOT drop and thus the price of such refined products will be unaffected by supply and demand. However, given the loss of revenue formerly made from fuels, refineries will likely dramatically increase the price of non-fuel hydrocarbons.

to spend an average of about 17% of budgets (again facts:
So then oil refineries will see 75% of their results no longer needed... "..closures of refineries in 2019 and 202o reduced U.S. refinery capacity by more than a million barrels per day. And by the end of 2023"
So with all indications that

US refining capacity is down about 5% though refiners are currently still making large profits due to increased demand. U.S. oil refining capacity down in 2021 for second year -EIA.

Will Any New Refineries Be Built in the United States?​

Chevron CEO Mike Wirth does not expect another oil refinery to be built in the United States ever again, due to federal government policies. The last significant refinery built in the United States was in 1976. (A small refinery came online in 2020 in North Dakota). Over the last two years, due to reduced demand from the pandemic and Presidnt Biden’s stated policy to reduce the demand for petroleum products,

Excellent.

Oil refinery companies already believing Biden's policy to reduce oil, aren't spending any money on NEW refineries and
will definitely close existing refineries as 75% of their production is eliminated by Biden's policy!

Biden's policies haven't eliminated diddly-squat, much less 75% of production. That dip is due entirely to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you want to blame someone for it, talk to your "man" Trump.
1659729100013.png

So yup go ahead destroy the market for 75% of oil and consider some simple thoughts:
With 300 million barrels of oil used to produce 2 billion tires, what will the loss of 75% of demand do to the costs of oil?

I'm not going to destroy the world with AGW to save the oil industry. You're just fucking stupid.

I didn't believe the all to convenient story either.

A solution (EV"S) to a problem we don't have (AGW) that wouldn't work if we did.

When it comes to saving the world, I would root for an experienced farmer over a woke Ivy League asshole any day of the week.

You're really only trying to make a statement against climate change and mainstream science, and you're using EV's as your cover.

Considering the events of the last few weeks, is it now too extremist to just honestly put down science and fully support more fossil fuels?
What events? Are you alluding to "weather event"???
OK... let's look at history...
Heat waves...FACTS...https://www.weather.gov/arx/heat_jul36
The "Dust Bowl" years of 1930-36 brought some of the hottest summers on record to the United States, especially across the Plains, Upper Midwest and Great Lake States. For the Upper Mississippi River Valley, the first few weeks of July 1936 provided the hottest temperatures of that period, including many all-time record highs (see tab below).
The string of hot, dry days was also deadly. Nationally, around 5000 deaths were associated with the heat wave.
In La Crosse, WI, there were 14 consecutive days (July 5th-18th) where the high temperature was 90 degrees or greater, and 9 days that were at or above 100°F. Six record July temperatures set during this time still stand, including the hottest day on record with 108°F on the 14th. The average high temperature for La Crosse during this stretch of extreme heat was 101°F, and the mean temperature for the month finished at 79.5°F - 2nd highest on record.
Worst Flooding.. Facts: Top 10 Historic U.S. Floods - TIME
Hmmmm so worst heat worst floods...hmmm 1913 and 1900.
Oh right climate change!

The "Dust Bowl" years of 1930-36 brought some of the hottest summers on record to the United States, especially across the Plains, Upper Midwest and Great Lake States. For the Upper Mississippi River Valley, the first few weeks of July 1936 provided the hottest temperatures of that period, including many all-time record highs (see tab below).
The string of hot, dry days was also deadly. Nationally, around 5000 deaths were associated with the heat wave.
In La Crosse, WI, there were 14 consecutive days (July 5th-18th) where the high temperature was 90 degrees or greater, and 9 days that were at or above 100°F. Six record July temperatures set during this time still stand, including the hottest day on record with 108°F on the 14th. The average high temperature for La Crosse during this stretch of extreme heat was 101°F, and the mean temperature for the month finished at 79.5°F - 2nd highest on record.
Worst Flooding.. Facts: Top 10 Historic U.S. Floods - TIME
Hmmmm so worst heat worst floods...hmmm 1913 and 1900.
Oh right climate change!
Are you under the impression that this short list of past heatwaves refute global warming? Please explain how.

Are you under the impression that this short list of past heatwaves refute global warming? Please explain how.
YES YES YES~! Heat waves are historic as flooding ALL before the common usage of "climate change" (use to be "global warming" but supporters changed because they were confronted like you with history!

Global warming has been occurring SINCE before THIS fact was discovered and will continue REGARDLESS of whatever efforts to
alternate this simple fact.

FACT: If the Sun shines longer each day that would keep the earth warmer for the next day ... Would you agree?
Or let's keep it simpler... Say you have a light bulb shining on a surface for 2 hours Day 1, 3 hours Day 2, etc. each day gets longer.
Now from this link (which you never supply!!!) Science | AAAS
Overall, Earth's spin has slowed by about 6 hours in the past 2740 years, the team reports today in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A. That sounds like a lot, but it works out to the duration of a 24-hour day being lengthened by about 1.78 milliseconds over the course of a century.
Hmmm.. so earth rotation slows down means Sun shining more on earth keeping earth warmer!

The "Dust Bowl" years of 1930-36 brought some of the hottest summers on record to the United States, especially across the Plains,
Stop pretending, the hottest 10 years in history have been the last 10.

Stop pretending, the hottest 10 years in history have been the last 10.
Prove it! Who in the hell are you that WE should take your subjective, personalized observation is without any proof! Prove it!

That change is in the mean global temperature that has been calculated for each year since 1880. The history of average global temperature is based on data gathered around the world at weather stations, on ships and by satellites.

These records clearly show that the first decade of the 21st century was the warmest since the 1880s, and the first decade that the earth's average annual temperature rose above 14.5 °C (58 °F).

Temperature Change Since 1880​

Despite the overall increase, global temperatures have not climbed steadily during the decades. The average global annual temperature hovered around 13.7 °C (56.7 °F) from the 1880s through the 1910s.

During the 1920s to 1940s, temperatures climbed about 0.1 °C (0.18 °F) each decade. Mean global temperatures then stabilized at roughly 14.0°C (57.2 °F) until the 1980s.
The world has mainly grown hotter since 1980, at a rate of nearly 0.2 °C (0.36 °F) per decade. The annual global temperature from 2000 to 2009 was 0.61 °C (1.1 °F) higher than the average temperature for 1951 to 1980. If the current rate of increase continues, the world will warm by 2 °C (3.6 °F) in the next century.

Now up until

The Problem With Using Old Weather Reports to Track Climate Change​

It’s not just the temperature that’s different. The tools used to measure it are different, too.
Temperature data from hundreds of years ago is no easier to process if it’s been obtained at sea. In 2004, for example, a team of researchers analyzing data from 18th- and 19th-century ships’ logs had to correct for the fact that in those days, sea-surface temperatures were measured with a thermometer in a bucket of seawater. Today, water temperatures are measured by intake pipes where seawater is taken aboard a ship, a practice that’s been in place since the 1940s. (A 2008 study showed that this switch in methodology exaggerated the global temperature dip seen in the 1950s.)
And then there are the thermometers themselves. Thermometer enclosures, which shield the temperature sensor from direct sunlight and other sources of radiation, can be wooden or plastic; the variation in materials can, in turn, introduce discrepancies in the results (which some stations in the U.S. discovered firsthand in the 1980s when they switched from traditional enclosures to electronic screens). The instruments are also sensitive to their surroundings: If you measure the temperature on a sunny day versus a cloudy day, direct sunlight on the thermometer will record a higher temperature, even if the two days are equally warm.

NOW were you aware that 12.5% of the Earth's land mass was NOT included in these temperature averages?
thermometerproblems.png

Last edited:
Prove it! Who in the hell are you that WE should take your subjective, personalized observation is without any proof! Prove it!

NOW were you aware that 12.5% of the Earth's land mass was NOT included in these temperature averages?
I learned years ago that it's impossible to prove any point with an American who has had his mind made up by political persuasion. You'll just have to do your own search on the 'ten hottest years' and get back to me. Preferably when I'm not so busy with the FBI's slamdunk of Trump's prospects.

Forum List

Back