If you could have only 5 guns...

that was my thought 'here we go' , ammo sharing and parts compatibility among 5 million AR15 that are supposedly privately owned in the USA plus easy breakdown , common magazines and accessories and about 800 dollars will get you a new one . M1A is fine , I like it especially in the 'scout squad' in Walnut especially but I still think that the AR15 in any configuration can be called the Musket of the 21st . Same reason I liked the 9mm glock , its a common military ammo and pretty cheap and there are lots under private ownership so parts interchangeability is good as well as ammo .

My main interest in shooting started out with hunting. That is why I tend to like bigger calibers. The .223/5.56 is a pretty puny hunting round, unless you are shooting varmints.

I have no issue with the AR itself. I owned one and rigged it up as a coyote rifle, with good results. But someone offered me more than I had invested in it, so it went away. lol

As long as we are making lists, my collection is nearly complete, imo. I have a good range of weapons, no gun being redundant in any way:

Winchester 700 series rifle (30-06)
AR-15
12 gauge
44 Magnum revolver
40 cal S&W
380 Auto
25 auto

Two weapons I still need to get:

The Judge, because I want to be able to shoot 410 in a handgun.
A lever action rifle, just because I've never had one and I want to do that one handed reload trick I see on cowboy movies.

I own 4 lever actions. One is inherited from my Dad. It is an old Marlin octagon barrel in 32-20. I rarely shoot it.

Two of the others are Marlins as well. And 1895 in 45-70 and an 1896 in .44 magnum. The 45-70 is for hunting hogs. The .44 doubles as self defense and just a knock-around gun. I like having a rifle and handgun in the same caliber. And I damn sure don't want a 45-70 handgun!

And I got a great deal on a Henry Golden Boy .22. A guy needed money and sold it cheap. There is something fun about shooting an "old cowboy" style gun. Maybe thats why I like single action revolvers as well.
The Judge is a pretty neat gun. I'd like one of those too.

I'm probably going to keep the Judge on the night stand next to my bed loaded with 410. It would be easier access than the Mossberg 500.

I've never wanted a lever action before it for some reason since I saw that guy do it one handed on TV, I knew I had to have it. Getting the Judge first though. At the Gun show next weekend.

and as a thought , I think that all Americans should own an AR15 and Ammo of course . Already the claim is that Americans own 5 million AR15s. I'd like to see ALL Americans with at least 1 AR in .223 / 5.56 . AR has fast become the MUSKET of the 21st century !!

As great a gun as the AR is, I like my M1A better. And if I ever get a decent deal on a Scout Squad (the M1A in a shorter form), I will jump on it. As long as I don't have to hike 20 miles with it, I like the M1A better. But that is just a personal preference.

Think "ammo sharing"
I do. My "battle rifle" shares ammo with my hunting rifle. :)

Yeah but could the rest of us use it in case of your untimely demise?
Hell,just go buy a pallet of 5.56 and keep it in your garage for us.:biggrin:

and as a thought , I think that all Americans should own an AR15 and Ammo of course . Already the claim is that Americans own 5 million AR15s. I'd like to see ALL Americans with at least 1 AR in .223 / 5.56 . AR has fast become the MUSKET of the 21st century !!

As great a gun as the AR is, I like my M1A better. And if I ever get a decent deal on a Scout Squad (the M1A in a shorter form), I will jump on it. As long as I don't have to hike 20 miles with it, I like the M1A better. But that is just a personal preference.

Think "ammo sharing"
I do. My "battle rifle" shares ammo with my hunting rifle. :)

Yeah but could the rest of us use it in case of your untimely demise?
Hell,just go buy a pallet of 5.56 and keep it in your garage for us.:biggrin:

Nah, if I did that one of you good guys would hear of my demise and come to get it. I don't need my g/f feeling guilty for shooting you. :D

Smith and wesson Performance Center 627 (8 shot 357) 5" barrel
Browning T-Bolt 22 rifle
FnH SLP-1 12 G semi auto 3 Gun competition shotgun
Windham Arms Proctor 3Gun Competition AR-15
Springfield Armory Super National Match M1-A1 with a Leopold Mark IV scope

Browning T-Bolt 22 rifle

Nice selections.
I think it's become pretty clear that most want a combat rifle,a pistol,a shotgun,bolt gun and a twenty two.
And i'd bet most of us already own at least one of each.

Browning T-Bolt 22 rifle

Nice selections.
I think it's become pretty clear that most want a combat rifle,a pistol,a shotgun,bolt gun and a twenty two.
And i'd bet most of us already own at least one of each.

yeah I have lots. so many to choose from

no emotion or favorites but the most practical are . --- .22 long rifle carbine [ruger] , 9mm 'glock 19 ,--- .357 and its .38s in a ruger 3 inch sp101 , .223 in a semi auto AR rifle of any length and the .308 in a rifle , bolt or semi like an 'M1a' or bolt in a 'scout' rifle like the Savage , Ruger or Steyr . I lean to the Ruger because of factory hi capacity mags . To round it to 6 , it'd be a 12 gauge pump with short barrel .

i would pick one of my 22s as well

it was my first rifle

my Winchester model 67 single shot

with the rear sight home made into a peep sight

dependable and accurate

the rifle my dad taught me to

aim small miss small

A good quality dbl brl shotgun, probably 12 Ga.
A Ruger 10/22
A quality scoped bolt action, .30-'06 (if I can have only one)
A ,44mag. revolver
For the last one I remain undecided. Either a revolver in .357 or a 1911 auto.

Glock 21 (primary home defense)
Officer size 1911 (concealed carry)
Remington 1100 (gotta have a scatter gun)
Marlin 336 (versatile compact rifle)
AR15 (fighting rifle)

I am strictly a traditional archer. If necessary I can make my own bow and arrows from available materials and use them effectively. Seems more appropriate for a survival situation.

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga shotgun
(hunting CXP 1-3 + fowl + self defense)​

Chiappa 22lr/410 over/under
(hunting CXP 1 + small fowl )​

DPMS AR-15 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem
(self defense + hunting CXP 1-2)​

Remington 700 CDL 30-06
(hunting CXP 2-3)​

Ruger SR9c 9mm
(self defense)
That covers all my needs, I think.

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six

I only have two hands so only want 2. :)

My .45 1911 and X95 Tavor TAR (7.62 NATO version)

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

I have multiple uses for guns. So I have more than 5.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

Reminds me of a recent Mythbusters episode where they tested the feasibility of FPS games like Doom carrying all your weapons around with you. :)

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
5) Ruger Single Six

Reminds me of a recent Mythbusters episode where they tested the feasibility of FPS games like Doom carrying all your weapons around with you. :)

I have no intention of carrying my guns around with me. I may transport them for one reason or another, but I am not going to have to carry all my guns (even if it was just 5) and the ammo for them. If I did, I would only own .22s.

Forum List

Back