If you could have only 5 guns...

Come on , you all have great picks but what if the shit hits the fan like you all think and those are the only guns you can have. Is that what you really want? Sure I'll take one or two of them, my answer would be a muzzle loader..... Give me five of them, I can make my own powder, balls, flint, or caps, and never worry about how I'm gonna shoot them when I run out of loads.

If the shit hits the fan you are unlikely to run out of ammo.
Consider this...if you were to get into the shit you're either gonna die and ammo becomes a moot point,or you're going to win and their ammo becomes yours.
As long as you're not using some obscure caliber ammo shouldnt be a problem.

What do you think about rechambering to an Ackley Improved configuration. You can shoot theirs, but they can't shoot yours. Downside...you'd might lose some barrel life from fireforming to A.I. from standard ammunition.

This started as an internet discussion on another site. But I thought I'd bring it here.

My choices?

1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six

I only have two hands so only want 2. :)

My .45 1911 and X95 Tavor TAR (7.62 NATO version)

I have multiple uses for guns. So I have more than 5.

Reminds me of a recent Mythbusters episode where they tested the feasibility of FPS games like Doom carrying all your weapons around with you. :)

I have no intention of carrying my guns around with me. I may transport them for one reason or another, but I am not going to have to carry all my guns (even if it was just 5) and the ammo for them. If I did, I would only own .22s.

I understood the point. I'm just teasing you. :)

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga shotgun
(hunting CXP 1-3 + fowl + self defense)​

Chiappa 22lr/410 over/under
(hunting CXP 1 + small fowl )​

DPMS AR-15 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem
(self defense + hunting CXP 1-2)​

Remington 700 CDL 30-06
(hunting CXP 2-3)​

Ruger SR9c 9mm
(self defense)
That covers all my needs, I think.

The Chiappa is an interesting gun. The dual rifle/shotgun thing is handy as a shirt pocket. I have always thought the Savage versions of those were great. Funny we don't hear much about them.

Come on , you all have great picks but what if the shit hits the fan like you all think and those are the only guns you can have. Is that what you really want? Sure I'll take one or two of them, my answer would be a muzzle loader..... Give me five of them, I can make my own powder, balls, flint, or caps, and never worry about how I'm gonna shoot them when I run out of loads.

If the shit hits the fan you are unlikely to run out of ammo.
Consider this...if you were to get into the shit you're either gonna die and ammo becomes a moot point,or you're going to win and their ammo becomes yours.
As long as you're not using some obscure caliber ammo shouldnt be a problem.

What do you think about rechambering to an Ackley Improved configuration. You can shoot theirs, but they can't shoot yours. Downside...you'd might lose some barrel life from fireforming to A.I. from standard ammunition.

If you're using 5.56 you're only getting about a hundred ft per second advantage with A.I. ammo.
Not sure it'd be worth it to give up the compatibility.

Last edited:
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga shotgun
(hunting CXP 1-3 + fowl + self defense)​

Chiappa 22lr/410 over/under
(hunting CXP 1 + small fowl )​

DPMS AR-15 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem
(self defense + hunting CXP 1-2)​

Remington 700 CDL 30-06
(hunting CXP 2-3)​

Ruger SR9c 9mm
(self defense)
That covers all my needs, I think.

The Chiappa is an interesting gun. The dual rifle/shotgun thing is handy as a shirt pocket. I have always thought the Savage versions of those were great. Funny we don't hear much about them.

I've had my Chiappa for almost a year now, thru a complete squirrel and rabbit season, plus dove, pheasant and grouse. It was adequate for upland fowl, but squirrel and rabbit is where it really shines using the 22 for still targets and the 410 for moving. For a sub $300 firearm, it's hard to beat.

I looked at the Savage Model 42 before buying the Chiappa, the plastic stock and forend really turned me off, plus a hundred and forty dollar higher pricetag...I decided that it wasn't for me.

1. 6" Colt Python
2. Suppressed High Standard
3. Suppressed 10/22
4. Steyr SSG PII with Swarovski ZF-84 10 scope
5. MP5K-PDW with Gemtech Suppressor.

1. 6" Colt Python
3. Suppressed 10/22
do you find the High Standard to be reliable. They are accurate, but reliable? and why a Colt Python. I was a 60X PPC shooter-the Smith has better Lockwork though the Python barrels were a bit better. Smiths stay in time longer with hot stuff-I'd pick the L frame 686 over the Python. the other choices are really sound

1. 6" Colt Python
3. Suppressed 10/22
do you find the High Standard to be reliable. They are accurate, but reliable? and why a Colt Python. I was a 60X PPC shooter-the Smith has better Lockwork though the Python barrels were a bit better. Smiths stay in time longer with hot stuff-I'd pick the L frame 686 over the Python. the other choices are really sound

The High Standard I own is a former OSS pistol and it is reliable as hell. Quiet too. I like the Python because it is deadly accurate. I can hit a standing person at 300 yards with ease. Lockwork is fine so long as I don't put max loads through it. I rebuilt it about 15 years ago after it had fired around 30,000 rounds. The timing had gone bye bye so it was an essential rebuild. The most accurate revolver I've ever owned is a Dan Wesson, but parts are impossible.

1. 6" Colt Python
3. Suppressed 10/22

The High Standard I own is a former OSS pistol and it is reliable as hell. Quiet too. I like the Python because it is deadly accurate. I can hit a standing person at 300 yards with ease. Lockwork is fine so long as I don't put max loads through it. I rebuilt it about 15 years ago after it had fired around 30,000 rounds. The timing had gone bye bye so it was an essential rebuild. The most accurate revolver I've ever owned is a Dan Wesson, but parts are impossible.

Dan Wesson's ruled IHMSA events but they went out of time constantly. The metal hardening was suspect.

Only need 4. An M1 carbine, which I have. An M1 Garand , which I have. A 9 mm semi auto pistol, which I do not have and a 12 gauge shotgun which I don't have.

Last edited:
My list is probably fluid, but if I could own only 5 guns I would want to cover all areas of possible firearm needs.

1. The Judge loaded with buck shot for personal protection.
2. Ar-15 for high output
3. 44 magnum for knock down power
4. Anything that shoots 30-06 so I can reach out and touch someone.
5. Mossberg 500 loaded with slugs just because.

I only have 4, and unless shtf, the longarm is not needed. If I could trust the Sig P938 to always be available and to be as durable as a 938, I would not have 3 of them, just 2. My rifle choice can do anything that needs doing (with a rifle) and so can my pistols. I have plenty of fun with both. I don't have time, money or inclination to mess with other types of guns. I barely get in enough practice with the ones I have to stay A class with them both, with either hand, as should be done.

I only have 4, and unless shtf, the longarm is not needed. If I could trust the Sig P938 to always be available and to be as durable as a 938, I would not have 3 of them, just 2. My rifle choice can do anything that needs doing (with a rifle) and so can my pistols. I have plenty of fun with both. I don't have time, money or inclination to mess with other types of guns. I barely get in enough practice with the ones I have to stay A class with them both, with either hand, as should be done.

This thread is pretty old but I'm pretty sure the idea is to be able to cover all the bases.

its a good thread if I recall , more ideas , thinking can never be a bad thing imo !!

when you choose the right 2 guns, really, with .22lr conversion units, you CAN cover all the (needed) bases. Bird dont have to be shot out of the air, matches don't have to be competed in. Sport hunting has nothing to do with survival poaching. It's really depressing to see how many people don't understand that. Noisy guns are not to be used if it's shtf, cause they will call in your killers and scare off the game. Shotguns can't be effectively suppressed. Non rapidfire guns are not to be risked. If you need to forage, so will others, and some of them will shoot you on sight.

Nets, trotlines, traps, snares, fish poison, bird lime, all work for you 24-7 and in scores of places at once. They do so silently and they can be serviced at night, especially with NVD goggles. Game will all be gone a month after shtf, anyway. There's 50 million dogs and cats which will be starving, and they'll be eaten by people in the next month. Then the cannabilism will begin in earnest.

So you simply must have food stockpiled/cached, and you must know how to grow sprouts. it's quite simple, actually. youtube is full of vids about it. $1000, mostly spend on in season local grains and legumes, that you go fetch from the farmer, directly, will cover you for a year, for one person, including the drums in which to store it. make half of it hard winter wheat, honey and salt, and you won't have to replace that half of it. If you have to toss out $300 worth of food every 2 years, so what? If 50c a day breaks you, God help you.

if it's shtf, you won't last long if you are out in the open, in daylight, or if you move without your armor and backpack. When so encumbered and at risk, you can't be carrying more than one longarm, and maybe a couple of lw, compact pistols, and you'd best not be making noise, either You can't shoot guns that you don't have at hand, and game and looters won't wait while you go get "the right gun for the job". So you are stuck with the most versatile longarm available, which is not a shotgun,muzzleloader, single shot, bolt action, or.22lr.

when you choose the right 2 guns, really, with .22lr conversion units, you CAN cover all the (needed) bases. Bird dont have to be shot out of the air, matches don't have to be competed in. Sport hunting has nothing to do with survival poaching. It's really depressing to see how many people don't understand that. Noisy guns are not to be used if it's shtf, cause they will call in your killers and scare off the game. Shotguns can't be effectively suppressed. Non rapidfire guns are not to be risked. If you need to forage, so will others, and some of them will shoot you on sight.

All these things have been discussed either in this thread or others like them.
Ideally you dont want to use a firearm at all.
Rat traps and Yo Yos will go a long way in fulfilling your protein needs and are easy to carry.
Of course as you've said game will become difficult to find if you cant survive the initial die off.
If you havent prepared for it the only solution is going to be taking others food,which of course is why you'd need an assault rifle with lots of ammo.

Forum List

Back