If you could have only 5 guns...

I like my M1911 for a number of reasons. That it is easy to conceal is one of them. Yes, it is long. But it is so my slimmer than many double stack pistols. But I also have the advantage of being a tall guy, so it hides better.

I know it is probably going to sound silly to a "big" guy ... But I have a small frame.
I need the larger handle and extra weight of the weapon to absorb some of the "shock" with the 1911.
I have tried smaller frames and different models ... The Colt is steady as a rock and my "second round" results are better.

Hope that makes sense.

I know it is probably going to sound silly to a "big" guy ... But I have a small frame.
I need the larger handle and extra weight of the weapon to absorb some of the "shock" with the 1911.
I have tried smaller frames and different models ... The Colt is steady as a rock and my "second round" results are better.

Hope that makes sense.

I think this is part of the reason 9mm is so popular, far less kick than a .45

So, if any of y'all had thought it; and claimed you have a Ninth Amendment right to not be drafted for foreign wars if there is no Invasion; would y'all have gone to Korea, Vietnam, or engage any foreign operations in our War on Terror?

I think this is part of the reason 9mm is so popular, far less kick than a .45

Like I mentioned in a previous post ... I have a Ruger P-85 and carry it almost everywhere.
Still ... The most common threat I encounter in regards to immediate danger of possible bodily harm is wild hogs.

I will tell you right now from personal experience ... The Ruger works pretty good at slowing them down and does the job if necessary.
But the Colt will stop them dead in their tracks ... Even if they are still breathing, they don't want to fight anymore.

Was the T25 ever issued as the M14? I had a Mini-14 and liked shooting it. I could just never get the accuracy I wanted from it. Now that was a number of years ago, and I am told they are more accurate now.

Yes. By Vietnam they used the cut down version which is the .308 or 7.62 X 51 NATO, according to Wiki. I had my story wrong, it was the drop to the .308 that was driven by the flinching - according to Wiki.

many years ago as a kid when i was really young

dad had a method to overcome flinching

he being the one to load the rifle

so blindly you did not know if you had a live round or a dry fire

flinching would become apparent with the dry fires

which was a great method to learn follow through

with the sequence of firing a rifle accurately

Last edited:
So, if any of y'all had thought it; and claimed you have a Ninth Amendment right to not be drafted for foreign wars if there is no Invasion; would y'all have gone to Korea, Vietnam, or engage any foreign operations in our War on Terror?

You've never read the 9th Amendment and have no clue what it says.
I know about the Patton doctrine of argumentation and getting the other fellow to resort to fallacy for his Cause first. Thank you for being second best in our contest.

I know about the Patton doctrine of argumentation and getting the other fellow to resort to fallacy for his Cause first. Thank you for being second best in our contest.

Yeah Whatever ... But what five weapons would you chose if you could only have five?
I mean if you don't have clue ... Or wouldn't choose any ... Then you probably don't have the capability of truly understanding anything Patton may have commented on.

He didn't go anywhere without one.

I like my M1911 for a number of reasons. That it is easy to conceal is one of them. Yes, it is long. But it is so my slimmer than many double stack pistols. But I also have the advantage of being a tall guy, so it hides better.

Hope that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. When I talked about my M1911, I was talking about the same gun you refer to as a Colt 1911, except mine is made by Springfield Armory. It is an excellent round with good stopping power and the pistol itself has been tested in every environment on the planet.

Was the T25 ever issued as the M14? I had a Mini-14 and liked shooting it. I could just never get the accuracy I wanted from it. Now that was a number of years ago, and I am told they are more accurate now.

Yes. By Vietnam they used the cut down version which is the .308 or 7.62 X 51 NATO, according to Wiki. I had my story wrong, it was the drop to the .308 that was driven by the flinching - according to Wiki.

many years ago as a kid when i was really young

dad had a method to overcome flinching

he being the one to load the rifle

so blindly did not know if you had a live round or a dry fire

flinching would become apparent with the dry fires

which was a great method to learn follow through

with the sequence of firing a rifle accurately

That is an excellent way to overcoming flinching. My dad did the same thing. Of course, some semi autos lock open after the last round, so you know you are empty. But your method does show if you flinch.

The 9th amendment is as follows:
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

It makes perfect sense. When I talked about my M1911, I was talking about the same gun you refer to as a Colt 1911, except mine is made by Springfield Armory. It is an excellent round with good stopping power and the pistol itself has been tested in every environment on the planet.

Well ... I understand that, but other people (mostly those at the range) keep telling me to try all these other "reduced" models ... I thought you were going down that trail.

I have tested the Tarus among other styles ... It is sleek, slim and easier to conceal ... I just don't like the performance issues around the kick.
I pay attention to what others suggest and recommend ... But you know "old gun hands" ... Sometimes you just get used to what you like and what performs to your standards.

Yes, foreign wars are foreign policy which constitutes public use, without any formal declaration and wartime tax rates to prove the exigency exists under our form of capitalism.

And the 9th amendment does not negate the draft in any way.

Well ... I understand that, but other people (mostly those at the range) keep telling me to try all these other "reduced" models ... I thought you were going down that trail.

I have tested the Tarus among other styles ... It is sleek, slim and easier to conceal ... I just don't like the performance issues around the kick.
I pay attention to what others suggest and recommend ... But you know "old gun hands" ... Sometimes you just get used to what you like and what performs to your standards.

That is why I never like it when someone says "This gun is the BEST!". It may well be the best for them. But for someone else it may be a disaster.

These are all guns I already own.
AR 15
44 Magnum
12 gauge
Kel Tek P3AT
22 long rifle

Of my choices:
1) Springfield M1911
2) Ruger 10/22
3) Remington 870
4) Springfield Scout Squad
5) Ruger Single Six

The only one I don't already own is the Scout Squad rifle. And the reason I chose it over the M1A I already own is that it is much handier.

On my list, I almost put my Winchester 1894 30-30. It is a great carbine.

Yeah..I thought about the Winchester myself.
But I figure an assault rifle can do what it can and much more. And the .270 or choice of bolt gun would perform better than the 30.30 for the longer shots.

Yes, foreign wars are foreign policy which constitutes public use, without any formal declaration and wartime tax rates to prove the exigency exists under our form of capitalism.

Only Invasions and Insurrections are expressly declared in our supreme law of the land; there is no willful appeal to ignorance of it.

The biggest thing to remember is the basic physics of guns. The more powerful a gun is, the more recoil. The heavier a gun is the less you will feel the recoil. So you can reduce recoil by going with a smaller caliber or a heavier gun. Two guns of the same caliber and basic shape, the lighter one will kick harder.

With a handgun the biggest mistake I have seen people make is that they try to hold the gun down and on target. Especially with bigger calibers, you let the gun recoil.

Some people are more recoil sensitive too. Handgun recoil doesn't bother me as much as rifle recoil.

Only Invasions and Insurrections are expressly declared in our supreme law of the land; there is no willful appeal to ignorance of it.

And your nonsense has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You just like trying to sound intelligent. It isn't working.

Forum List

Back