If you could have only 5 guns...

Yes, foreign wars are foreign policy which constitutes public use, without any formal declaration and wartime tax rates to prove the exigency exists under our form of capitalism.

And the 9th amendment does not negate the draft in any way.
Only Invasions and Insurrections are expressly declared in our supreme law of the land; there is no willful appeal to ignorance of it.

And your nonsense has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You just like trying to sound intelligent. It isn't working.
I am using words found in our supreme law of the land in my arguments; there is no willful appeal to ignorance of that legal fact, either. :p

Just fyi.

I know it is probably going to sound silly to a "big" guy ... But I have a small frame.
I need the larger handle and extra weight of the weapon to absorb some of the "shock" with the 1911.
I have tried smaller frames and different models ... The Colt is steady as a rock and my "second round" results are better.

Hope that makes sense.

I think this is part of the reason 9mm is so popular, far less kick than a .45

I found that sticking with a full size pistol when buying a .45 to be the answer.
A lot of the carry guns in .45 dont have enough to hold on to.
So it kinda becomes the home defense pistol and range queen.

no emotion or favorites but the most practical are . --- .22 long rifle carbine [ruger] , 9mm 'glock 19 ,--- .357 and its .38s in a ruger 3 inch sp101 , .223 in a semi auto AR rifle of any length and the .308 in a rifle , bolt or semi like an 'M1a' or bolt in a 'scout' rifle like the Savage , Ruger or Steyr . I lean to the Ruger because of factory hi capacity mags . To round it to 6 , it'd be a 12 gauge pump with short barrel .

Last edited:
That is why I never like it when someone says "This gun is the BEST!". It may well be the best for them. But for someone else it may be a disaster.

That is so true ... And with firearm popularity growing there are a lot of things that irritate me at the range.

There are always people arguing about what round performs better, what weapon is better, what sights to use.
Hell they will argue about what holster would better suit someone else.

The whole time I will be thinking ... "Damn, you cannot shoot for shit ... You may want to start engaging the targets instead of arguing with each other".
I mean picking a decent weapon and round ... Doesn't overcome the obstacles familiarity with your weapon and crisis management skills will.

If you don't have both of those skills ... You are either lucky or dead.

Yes, foreign wars are foreign policy which constitutes public use, without any formal declaration and wartime tax rates to prove the exigency exists under our form of capitalism.

Only Invasions and Insurrections are expressly declared in our supreme law of the land; there is no willful appeal to ignorance of it.

And your nonsense has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You just like trying to sound intelligent. It isn't working.
I am using words found in our supreme law of the land in my arguments; there is no willful appeal to ignorance of that legal fact, either. :p

Just fyi.

And the topic is each persons choice of 5 firearms, if they could only have 5. Whether you believe the 9th amendment allows you to refuse to be drafted is not part of that topic. In fact, since the SCOTUS has ruled we have an individual right to own guns, your spurious theories about the 2nd amendment are off topic as well.

Try and stay on topic, m'kay?

I know it is probably going to sound silly to a "big" guy ... But I have a small frame.
I need the larger handle and extra weight of the weapon to absorb some of the "shock" with the 1911.
I have tried smaller frames and different models ... The Colt is steady as a rock and my "second round" results are better.

Hope that makes sense.

I think this is part of the reason 9mm is so popular, far less kick than a .45

I found that sticking with a full size pistol when buying a .45 to be the answer.
A lot of the carry guns in .45 dont have enough to hold on to.
So it kinda becomes the home defense pistol and range queen.

Well said. There are far too many "experts" on what firearms can do what and which is better suited to a particular task or person.

As long as we are making lists, my collection is nearly complete, imo. I have a good range of weapons, no gun being redundant in any way:

Winchester 700 series rifle (30-06)
AR-15
12 gauge
44 Magnum revolver
40 cal S&W
380 Auto
25 auto

Two weapons I still need to get:

The Judge, because I want to be able to shoot 410 in a handgun.
A lever action rifle, just because I've never had one and I want to do that one handed reload trick I see on cowboy movies.

That is why I never like it when someone says "This gun is the BEST!". It may well be the best for them. But for someone else it may be a disaster.

That is so true ... And with firearm popularity growing there are a lot of things that irritate me at the range.

There are always people arguing about what round performs better, what weapon is better, what sights to use.
Hell they will argue about what holster would better suit someone else.

The whole time I will be thinking ... "Damn, you cannot shoot for shit ... You may want to start engaging the targets instead of arguing with each other".
I mean picking a decent weapon and round ... Doesn't overcome the obstacles familiarity with your weapon and crisis management skills will.

If you don't have both of those skills ... You are either lucky or dead.

Very true!! When I was growing up I would spend summers at my grandparent's in a little town in MS. A neighbor of theirs hunted with an old single shot rifle. I asked my grandfather why he didn't have a "better" gun, since he obviously had money. Granddaddy told me the old man could shoot the wings off flies with that old gun. What difference would a "better" gun make?

The old adage "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" is true.

Whatever gun you have, learn to shoot it well. And that means practice, not talk.

As long as we are making lists, my collection is nearly complete, imo. I have a good range of weapons, no gun being redundant in any way:

Winchester 700 series rifle (30-06)
AR-15
12 gauge
44 Magnum revolver
40 cal S&W
380 Auto
25 auto

Two weapons I still need to get:

The Judge, because I want to be able to shoot 410 in a handgun.
A lever action rifle, just because I've never had one and I want to do that one handed reload trick I see on cowboy movies.

I own 4 lever actions. One is inherited from my Dad. It is an old Marlin octagon barrel in 32-20. I rarely shoot it.

Two of the others are Marlins as well. And 1895 in 45-70 and an 1896 in .44 magnum. The 45-70 is for hunting hogs. The .44 doubles as self defense and just a knock-around gun. I like having a rifle and handgun in the same caliber. And I damn sure don't want a 45-70 handgun!

And I got a great deal on a Henry Golden Boy .22. A guy needed money and sold it cheap. There is something fun about shooting an "old cowboy" style gun. Maybe thats why I like single action revolvers as well.
The Judge is a pretty neat gun. I'd like one of those too.

Just fyi.

And the topic is each persons choice of 5 firearms, if they could only have 5. Whether you believe the 9th amendment allows you to refuse to be drafted is not part of that topic. In fact, since the SCOTUS has ruled we have an individual right to own guns, your spurious theories about the 2nd amendment are off topic as well.

ok. i gave my opinion on that earlier as well.

The biggest thing to remember is the basic physics of guns. The more powerful a gun is, the more recoil. The heavier a gun is the less you will feel the recoil. So you can reduce recoil by going with a smaller caliber or a heavier gun. Two guns of the same caliber and basic shape, the lighter one will kick harder.

With a handgun the biggest mistake I have seen people make is that they try to hold the gun down and on target. Especially with bigger calibers, you let the gun recoil.

Some people are more recoil sensitive too. Handgun recoil doesn't bother me as much as rifle recoil.

I have a Ruger Vaquero, .45 Long Colt - this is not an ACP, but pretty much like a .44 magnum. The recoil is huge, but doesn't bother me at all. The revolver is heavy and absorbs most of it, and as you said, I don't fight it.

Just fyi.

ok. i gave my opinion on that earlier as well.

Yes, we saw that you will wait until some hot chick in a militia favors you with a gun. Good luck with that.

The biggest thing to remember is the basic physics of guns. The more powerful a gun is, the more recoil. The heavier a gun is the less you will feel the recoil. So you can reduce recoil by going with a smaller caliber or a heavier gun. Two guns of the same caliber and basic shape, the lighter one will kick harder.

With a handgun the biggest mistake I have seen people make is that they try to hold the gun down and on target. Especially with bigger calibers, you let the gun recoil.

Some people are more recoil sensitive too. Handgun recoil doesn't bother me as much as rifle recoil.

I have a Ruger Vaquero, .45 Long Colt - this is not an ACP, but pretty much like a .44 magnum. The recoil is huge, but doesn't bother me at all. The revolver is heavy and absorbs most of it, and as you said, I don't fight it.

Now you have named a gun I lust after. lol The .45 Long Colt is a big bore round, and the Ruger Vaquero is a great gun.

The grip on a single action lets the gun rock back, so the recoil doesn't feel as bad. Sounds like we should hit the range together. lol

and as a thought , I think that all Americans should own an AR15 and Ammo of course . Already the claim is that Americans own 5 million AR15s. I'd like to see ALL Americans with at least 1 AR in .223 / 5.56 . AR has fast become the MUSKET of the 21st century !!

and as a thought , I think that all Americans should own an AR15 and Ammo of course . Already the claim is that Americans own 5 million AR15s. I'd like to see ALL Americans with at least 1 AR in .223 / 5.56 . AR has fast become the MUSKET of the 21st century !!

As great a gun as the AR is, I like my M1A better. And if I ever get a decent deal on a Scout Squad (the M1A in a shorter form), I will jump on it. As long as I don't have to hike 20 miles with it, I like the M1A better. But that is just a personal preference.

As great a gun as the AR is, I like my M1A better. And if I ever get a decent deal on a Scout Squad (the M1A in a shorter form), I will jump on it. As long as I don't have to hike 20 miles with it, I like the M1A better. But that is just a personal preference.

Think "ammo sharing"

I have the Winchester 30/30 Model 94 lever action ... And swear by it.
It is probably the best "saddle gun" I have ever used ... It is short and easy to move around with.

It does have the top eject though ... So if you want to use a scope on it (I don't on mine) you have to get one that mounts to the side.
There are few weapons that you can easily pull, and knock down a coyote in a flat run from the saddle ... The 94 can do it with dry sights.

Now you have named a gun I lust after. lol The .45 Long Colt is a big bore round, and the Ruger Vaquero is a great gun.

The grip on a single action lets the gun rock back, so the recoil doesn't feel as bad. Sounds like we should hit the range together. lol

It may sound stupid but I like the "report" it has.
A very distinctive sound ... One that does half the job of cover fire ... Lolz!

Edit:
Of course ... Unlike most guys growing up with their dad's rifle ... I started shooting with a .36 caliber Navy cap and ball.

Last edited:
that was my thought 'here we go' , ammo sharing and parts compatibility among 5 million AR15 that are supposedly privately owned in the USA plus easy breakdown , common magazines and accessories and about 800 dollars will get you a new one . M1A is fine , I like it especially in the 'scout squad' in Walnut especially but I still think that the AR15 in any configuration can be called the Musket of the 21st . Same reason I liked the 9mm glock , its a common military ammo and pretty cheap and there are lots under private ownership so parts interchangeability is good as well as ammo .

Last edited:

Think "ammo sharing"
I do. My "battle rifle" shares ammo with my hunting rifle. :)

Forum List

Back