Hints on How to Improve Your Life

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
Through the years, we are always learning.
All of us are smarter than any of us.
It might take me hours to post little known things I have learned or developed that can help you too! I'll start with these. Please add your own tips.

1. I used to drink a cherry coke for lunch and another for late night snack. Love that poison. I also took calcium carbonate pills as nutritional supplement. AVOID THEM BOTH! I developed very painful kidney stones on both sides, requiring surgery. Now I take calcium gluconate, or CitriCal and drink carbonated beverages only once or twice a month.
Calcium carbonate is limestone. HELLO! Limestone in your ureters will make you sad. (I also ran 6 miles every day for 25 years, and many marathons, which resulted in my developing atrial fibrillation. I thought it was healthy - strong like lion. Not so much. Don't do a marathon or run more than 6 miles a few times a week. It took two cardiac ablations to correct my AFib.)

2. I used to write checks to pay bills in the amount due. Pain in the butt subtracting $69.73 from your balance. I started rounding up long ago, especially my house payment when I had one. I rounded that up to the next highest $100, sometimes more, to pay down my home loan faster. It's like putting money in a savings account.

Rounding every payment up to the next $10, even if you pay online, makes subtracting from your current balance a cinch. When small bills, like water, are under $20, double up on them so the following month, you will have a credit balance and don't even have to pay it!

3. My cell phone directory has ~360 names on it. I contact city officials several times a week to report problems they need to address, so I have a lot of their names and can't remember them all. I file them by Department, then name. Tennis Allen. Pickleball Ted and Val. Coffee Bob. Ralphs Manager John.

I'll stop at three so as not to overload your heads tonight. Lots goin' on in this crazy world. I hope this has been a welcome reprieve from it. If it has not, let me know and I will have to hunt you down and, well, you know......

"We scientists have found that doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being of any exercise we have tested..." – Martin Seligman, psychologist, in his book Flourish

"People crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."- Steve Jobs

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Call me unreasonable.

2. I used to write checks to pay bills in the amount due. Pain in the butt subtracting $69.73 from your balance. I started rounding up long ago, especially my house payment when I had one. I rounded that up to the next highest $100, sometimes more, to pay down my home loan faster. It's like putting money in a savings account.

Rounding every payment up to the next $10, even if you pay online, makes subtracting from your current balance a cinch. When small bills, like water, are under $20, double up on them so the following month, you will have a credit balance and don't even have to pay it!

"People crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."- Steve Jobs
Here's how it's done.png

No gas bill to pay this month. (Some cynic will say, "Oh they're using your money!"
as if that is a clever retort..... as if I would earn interest on $6.38.
Most checking accounts don't earn interest anyway.

Take care of your health and every part of your life will improve.

Not easy as the 'experts' have buried the knowledge of health in reams of useless, self-serving or outright deceptive information.

Crypto Dec 16.jpg

First solve today's cryptoquote, then read why atheists are utterly miserable.

Forum List

Back