Here's 2 statue ideas that few will like

I think you will find, those who feel the need to erase history have a very dark agenda.
Well, that's what we tend to do. Rather than fixing a problem, we create others by slapping a band-aid on it.

Which makes me doubt that some even want to fix the problem in the first place.

What's the problem with the statues now, and why wasn't it an issue three years ago? Let me ask you this, when is the last time you heard a politition fight about an idea? When's the last time a politition on TV offered an idea and explained why it was a better idea.
Does that mean you wouldn't agree to either idea?

No not at all. I don't like it allot but something like that would be an excample of a place that a conversation could starte though. Americans need to turn off the TV and get rid of our current polititions who are only interested in keeping a job rather then fixing an issue.

I listen to the news, not to get news, but just to see where they are trying to steer us.

For example, all networks were focused on Syria using WMD's with 24 hour coverage while Obama beat the war drums.

Inexplicably, however, public opinion was not swayed and did not want to go to war.

Then Obama erased his red lines and ran away like a dog with his tail between his legs.

Hilarious.

Much like a parent who says" stop that or I'll spank you" all the time. He is gone now.

The fact remains, for better or worse, the Civil War and its various characters represent a terribly important part of this country's history, and pretending none of it existed is simply trying to put a band-aid on a much bigger problem.

I realize the primary goal nowadays is simply to "beat" the other "side" and not actually improve things, but I thought I'd toss out a couple of "ideas" (in other words, stuff that won't be found on winger websites) on addressing this national statue catastrophe:

1. Don't tear it down, add to it.
Leverage the existence of these statues to tell the whole story about the individual depicted. If they were a slave-owner, say so. If they fought for slavery, say so. Add a new piece that tells the whole story so that we can all agree (oh no!) on who and what this person was, and the role they played in this country's history.

2. Move it to something new.
So that we don't forget the horrors of slavery and the presence of those who supported it, as well as the sacrifices made in the Civil War, let's create or add to areas that reflect on the Civil War. Rather than pretend these people never existed, let's move the statues to one area that tells the story of our painful growth as a nation.

Thoughts? Name-calling? Insults?

I think you will find, those who feel the need to erase history have a very dark agenda.
I agree but I don't think it is about erasing history, it is about a dark agenda.

No, they must erase the history of collectivism and the horrors associated with it.

For most of recorded history, mankind has either been a slave of the state or someone forced to fight wars for them.

Do yourself a favor and do a study of genocide. It will end the notion that a centralized government that has complete power over the people is a good idea.

ISIS has a similar goal and they have similar tactics.

To create the fervor for genocide, all one has to do is dehumanize the target.

Thus people are not human if they are an infidel, or for the modern Dim, if they are not born yet. You are then free to abuse them for your own personal gain or profit.
History can not be erased, it is what it is. I have the whole Time-Life series on the Civil War, that isn't going to be changed.

Now if I thought for a minute this whole affair was over the statues and not a subversive plot then I would agree. I am thinking though, that after the statues the left wing subversives will start burning books.

Since they all support the slave party that history has to be expunged.

IMHO Your ideas are solutions looking for a problem, since there is no problem.

If a statue/monument is located on City property the citizens of the City decide what (if anything) to do with it, same goes for State property. If the decision of the people directly involved offends anybody fuck 'em, tough shit.

The only instances where this is a national "debate" is for statues/monuments located on Federal Land and from what I understand those locations haven't been the center of the controversy.

If a statue/monument is located on City property the citizens of the City decide what (if anything) to do with it, same goes for State property. If the decision of the people directly involved offends anybody fuck 'em, tough shit.

The only instances where this is a national "debate" is for statues/monuments located on Federal Land and from what I understand those locations haven't been the center of the controversy.
You don't see a problem here?

I wouldn't consider "fuck 'em, tough shit", as a very constructive approach, particularly on this topic, would you?

Maybe we could try to improve things a bit.

Just leave them alone, you have to be a little snowflake to let a goddamn statue trigger you to the level it has these jack wads.

Grow the fuck up

Yet, but it's coming.

The fact remains, for better or worse, the Civil War and its various characters represent a terribly important part of this country's history, and pretending none of it existed is simply trying to put a band-aid on a much bigger problem.

I realize the primary goal nowadays is simply to "beat" the other "side" and not actually improve things, but I thought I'd toss out a couple of "ideas" (in other words, stuff that won't be found on winger websites) on addressing this national statue catastrophe:

Leverage the existence of these statues to tell the whole story about the individual depicted. If they were a slave-owner, say so. If they fought for slavery, say so. Add a new piece that tells the whole story so that we can all agree (oh no!) on who and what this person was, and the role they played in this country's history.

So that we don't forget the horrors of slavery and the presence of those who supported it, as well as the sacrifices made in the Civil War, let's create or add to areas that reflect on the Civil War. Rather than pretend these people never existed, let's move the statues to one area that tells the story of our painful growth as a nation.

it's not about pretending these people didn't exist.
20840650_735216390007696_7342165887865003218_n.jpg

I wouldn't consider "fuck 'em, tough shit", as a very constructive approach, particularly on this topic, would you?

Not in that tone it isn't. And really, they have already been told "no" on the statues, reparations and the like. Education is the key. Five lawyers can do more damage then two BLM guys with spray cans or two skinheads with a rebel flag. To put it simply they need to be adults about it. As it is now it's only a matter of time before more people are killed. Even here, I can't even take my kid to the zoo or museums at Herman park because BLM refuses to cancel their photo op. Many are worried about violance. Not cool. So when I see the neo-nazi's and BLM I tend to stop listening and I ready my self for combat and all I'm trying to do is buy some smokes.

i'm not for tearing them down in a fit of self-righteous, not at all. adding to it could mean simply how much room is left.

moving - i am not comparing the holocaust to slavery, but in germany they have a museum dedicated to ensuring they don't forget. i can see a museum for us doing something similar. if we must move them out of sight then let's agree on a course of action and do it.

my "fear" is that only then it would become the never happy radicals demanding even the museum is torn down and demolished. it seems the hint of negative history is there issue, not where we happen to keep it.

I don't think we need to make every park and traffic median in the country into a Civil War museum, Mac. Tearing down the statues won't do anything to cool the racists' jets or to fix the problems in the black community. If a town wants their statue removed, that's up to the people of that community, not a bunch of left or right activists from out of town or out of state trying to make a point.
I believe the statues being removed are being sold to museums or private owners who will treat them with respect. That's as it should be. If what I've read is correct, many of the statues were actually erected during the Jim Crow era. Whether that was a statement of white power (why in NY and some other "union" states?) or just that folks finally had enough $$ to erect a big statue, who knows. This needs to be a community decision in every case and people need to shut the fuck up about it, imo.

some of that history was very dark

Nice ideas but moving it to a new location will just be caving to lunatics. Hell's bells a County Commissioner in Georgia demanded that Civil War Museum remove the Confederate freaking flag.

The curator closed the museum rather than cave to the maniacs.

I don't give a good GD that people are offended by Confederate statues. If you are in the South you could be demanding that Sherman, Sheridan and Grant should have their statues and memorials smashed to smithereens for the war crimes committed by the Union with their scorched earth policy.

Oh and while we are at it, First Nations could demand that any memorial to Sherman (hero of the Union) be busted up and turned to dust for his Indian Wars.

That UNION hero was the man who came up with "the only good Indian is a dead Indian".

See how the ball will roll if we do not stop these maniacs in their tracks right now?

Nice ideas but moving it to a new location will just be caving to lunatics. Hell's bells a County Commissioner in Georgia demanded that Civil War Museum remove the Confederate freaking flag.

I don't give a good GD that people are offended by Confederate statues. If you are in the South you could be demanding that Sherman, Sheridan and Grant should have their statues and memorials smashed to smithereens for the war crimes committed by the Union with their scorched earth policy.

Oh and while we are at it, First Nations could demand that any memorial to Sherman (hero of the Union) be busted up and turned to dust for his Indian Wars.

That UNION hero was the man who came up with "the only good Indian is a dead Indian".

See how the ball will roll if we do not stop these maniacs in their tracks right now?

Move the statues and cave into the whiny twits and next week it will be something else

i'm not for tearing them down in a fit of self-righteous, not at all. adding to it could mean simply how much room is left.

moving - i am not comparing the holocaust to slavery, but in germany they have a museum dedicated to ensuring they don't forget. i can see a museum for us doing something similar. if we must move them out of sight then let's agree on a course of action and do it.

my "fear" is that only then it would become the never happy radicals demanding even the museum is torn down and demolished. it seems the hint of negative history is there issue, not where we happen to keep it.

Power is the issue. Money would be the second. When politicians can't have a debate on ideas it's much more easy to say "well, he can't be presbecause he wasn't borne here" or he is a Nazi or whatever. Look back to Ronny VS Obama. Ronny mopped tho floor with Obama on policy and ideas. So Obama had to turn to the mob. Same for Trump. He was given a complete pass by the press. He had to explain nothing. His
Most memorable comments from debates are small hands, little Marco, lying Ted, you get the idea. We have to stop letting that happen.

Silly passive aggressive little man.

I can get on board with either of those ideas. They are reasonable.

Hell's bells most of our history is very dark but we rose above it but it is crucial to learn and study it to not repeat the mistakes of the past. While the left wing loons here are still going on about what happened 150 years ago there are people being traded as slaves as we speak in open air markets in Libya.

I prefer to concentrate my efforts on human rights abuses in the here and now. Not on spending a bloody fortune campaigning against statues. It would be nice and oh so special if more maniac progressives could spend some time working to end real injustice in the world.

Not perceived injustice in the US.

Yep, I do since unless the monument/statue in question is located on land that is within your scope of influence you can have an opinion but absolutely NO SAY in the dispensation of said monument/statue.

Yeah, we can improve things by people minding their own business, you don't get a say in what a community half way across the country decides to put up or take down on it's public property. We have too many thin-skinned, think they have a right not be offended busy bodies in this country that just need to live and let live, this whole idiotic circus is all about statues, how devoid of substance must ones life be to get all worked up over such things?

So again, if the decisions of the directly affected populations regarding the use of their public property offends somebody, fuck 'em, they need to grow up.

Power is the issue. Money would be the second. When politicians can't have a debate on ideas it's much more easy to say "well, he can't be presbecause he wasn't borne here" or he is a Nazi or whatever. Look back to Ronny VS Obama. Ronny mopped tho floor with Obama on policy and ideas. So Obama had to turn to the mob. Same for Trump. He was given a complete pass by the press. He had to explain nothing. His
Most memorable comments from debates are small hands, little Marco, lying Ted, you get the idea. We have to stop letting that happen.
i didn't say we'd not get in our own way. we've flung out far too many insults to the other side for this to just end with a "wow, good fight"! like we did as kids.

it also wont work well if every time a solution is offered you give 10,000 busted examples of the past. when we're trying to get over it, let it go.

Hell's bells most of our history is very dark but we rose above it but it is crucial to learn and study it to not repeat the mistakes of the past. While the left wing loons here are still going on about what happened 150 years ago there are people being traded as slaves as we speak in open air markets in Libya.

I prefer to concentrate my efforts on human rights abuses in the here and now. Not on spending a bloody fortune campaigning against statues. It would be nice and oh so special if more maniac progressives could spend some time working to end real injustice in the world.

Obviously, I agree with you that we can all better spend our energy than protesting and fighting over a guy on a horse statues.
The maniacs didn't start this one though. The white nationalists did. The people of Charlottesville have every right to vote to rid itself of a statue they no longer want. This was no one else's business. Enter Kessler's crew. Now it's a big thing that is being discussed all over social media and the press. Dumb waste of energy on both sides.

Obviously, I agree with you that we can all better spend our energy than protesting and fighting over a guy on a horse statues.
The maniacs didn't start this one though. The white nationalists did. The people of Charlottesville have every right to vote to rid itself of a statue they no longer want. This was no one else's business. Enter Kessler's crew. Now it's a big thing that is being discussed all over social media and the press. Dumb waste of energy on both sides.

Except the people have every right to protest the removal also

Forum List

Back