Here's 2 statue ideas that few will like

The fact remains, for better or worse, the Civil War and its various characters represent a terribly important part of this country's history, and pretending none of it existed is simply trying to put a band-aid on a much bigger problem.

I realize the primary goal nowadays is simply to "beat" the other "side" and not actually improve things, but I thought I'd toss out a couple of "ideas" (in other words, stuff that won't be found on winger websites) on addressing this national statue catastrophe:

1. Don't tear it down, add to it.
Leverage the existence of these statues to tell the whole story about the individual depicted. If they were a slave-owner, say so. If they fought for slavery, say so. Add a new piece that tells the whole story so that we can all agree (oh no!) on who and what this person was, and the role they played in this country's history.

2. Move it to something new.
So that we don't forget the horrors of slavery and the presence of those who supported it, as well as the sacrifices made in the Civil War, let's create or add to areas that reflect on the Civil War. Rather than pretend these people never existed, let's move the statues to one area that tells the story of our painful growth as a nation.

Thoughts? Name-calling? Insults?

Very rational, but you are missing what the goal of the democrats is; which is to eradicate the history of the USA.
If decent options can be presented and discussed, the excuse to do that would be taken away.

I think you will find, those who feel the need to erase history have a very dark agenda.

Except no one is saying we should "erase" history.

Here's the thing. Most people have no idea who Nathan Forrest (sorry, have to keep picking on that guy) was. History majors, maybe... but that's about it.

So a lot of people just drive by his statue in Memphis and really have no idea who he is. We don't think much about most of the people who have statues or streets named after them.

But we should.

Nathan Forrest massacred black POW's during the war because they fought for the Union side. After the war, he founded the KKK with the intent to intimidate freed men from exercising their rights.

He doesn't merit a statue any more than Heinrich Himmler does. But the fact that there are no statues of Himmler anywhere doesn't mean that we are 'erasing" history.
There are plenty of union generals who did far worse.

The fact remains, for better or worse, the Civil War and its various characters represent a terribly important part of this country's history, and pretending none of it existed is simply trying to put a band-aid on a much bigger problem.

You see, once again, you start the discussion out on a false premise and then argue the shit out of the false premise.

Nobody ever has said, "We need to pretend the Civil War didn't happen". Nobody is suggesting expunging it from the History Books. or anything like that. If anything, we would like to see it more extensively taught.

So let's continue on...

I realize the primary goal nowadays is simply to "beat" the other "side" and not actually improve things, but I thought I'd toss out a couple of "ideas" (in other words, stuff that won't be found on winger websites) on addressing this national statue catastrophe:

Leverage the existence of these statues to tell the whole story about the individual depicted. If they were a slave-owner, say so. If they fought for slavery, say so. Add a new piece that tells the whole story so that we can all agree (oh no!) on who and what this person was, and the role they played in this country's history.

The problem with this is that when you leave up a big old statue of Nathan Forrest, and then put a little plaque next to it that says, "Oh, yeah, and he also murdered black POW's during the war and founded the KKK after the war" the very fact that you are immortalizing him in Bronze takes away from any * you put next to him.

Nathan Forrest was a truly evil man who did truly evil things. He doesn't deserve a statue with a disclaimer under it.

So that we don't forget the horrors of slavery and the presence of those who supported it, as well as the sacrifices made in the Civil War, let's create or add to areas that reflect on the Civil War. Rather than pretend these people never existed, let's move the statues to one area that tells the story of our painful growth as a nation.

And how do you do that, exactly. How does giving Nathan Forest a statue which you'll move to some Disneyfied Theme Park really remember the people he killed?

Here's the real problem to Confederate Statues... they allow the South to look back at what they did like it was something noble or heroic, when in fact, they did something that was really terrible.

You of the Khmer Rouge are attempting to utterly wipe the history of this nation.

Trump is right that should you be allowed to purge the civil war from history, you will then turn to the founding of the nation and erase it.

Hell, you Brown Shirted thugs have already begun;

{
George Washington was a slave owner, and we need to call slave owners out for what they are, whether we think they were protecting American freedom or not," Rye said. "He wasn't protecting my freedom. My ancestors weren't deemed human beings to him."

"So to me, I don't care if it's a George Washington statue or a Thomas Jefferson statue or a Robert E. Lee statue. They all need to come down," Rye said.}

Tear 'Em Down: CNN Commentator Says Statues to Slave Owner George Washington Have To Go

We saw what you did in Nazi Germany, we see what you are doing now. You of the evil never change, regardless of what flag you wave.

The Civil War museum in Richmond VA portrays each year of the war from the perspective of the North, the South and the Slaves. Very educational, but many people don't want to hear about any other perspective but their own.

The fact IS, the civil war was over 150 years ago. It happened, a side win, a side lost, terms of surrender were agreed upon and that hash was settled. The best thing we can do is help these people realize that a statue just sits there. Don't keep them from getting a job, doesn't do anything but provide a place for pigeons to shit. Helping them grow the fuck up and get control of their lives would be better. That said I take a try at #1.

1. We already tell the whole story. It's called history class. Maybe if we addressed the reason why black kids are dropping out of school and stop it, we can keep them in a history class and they can get the whole story. We can also go into the aboust creed slaves and southerners suffered under reconstruction some to so the kids know who ALL the villains were and why they did what they did.

2. Stop depicting a confederate soldier as a guy dressed in a sheet scaring black people. It's a patent lie that only blacks and freed slaves were targeted by the KLAN. Catholics, Jews, Irish, union sympathisers, all have been killed at the end of a rope. Move the statues? Sure, but let the public decied with a referendum or something. Not just a knee jerk reaction to please the mob and that brings me to number 3.

Stop pandering to violent protesters. Whit or black, if they will protest fine. Stay on yalls side of the street and yell, but black or white, make a move towards each other suffer swift and violent action by the police.

And curb the media. They don't show us this to inform, they do it to pay some dumb blond with big tie a salary and for ratings. Turn off the TV..

Been working since midnight and I'm tired. Mayhap I can think up a name or an insult or two after a nap.

Excellent post.

The #1 target of the Klan was Republicans. The KKK was the terrorist wing of the democratic party, identical then to what ANTIFA is now.

The Civil War museum in Richmond VA portrays each year of the war from the perspective of the North, the South and the Slaves. Very educational, but many people don't want to hear about any other perspective but their own.

The democrats will burn it down in short order. They are no different than the Taliban. They will destroy anything that contrasts with their goals.

IF they should win this current civil war, the next generation will be taught that there was a slave uprising against the hated whites. They will not be told of the civil war, nor of the brave soldiers of the Union who fought to end slavery and preserve the nation. No, the democrats will rewrite it to make black slaves the heroes who rose up against their oppressors, which is why it is good and proper that whites be forced into ghettos and denied the same rights that the preferred people have.

The fact IS, the civil war was over 150 years ago. It happened, a side win, a side lost, terms of surrender were agreed upon and that hash was settled. The best thing we can do is help these people realize that a statue just sits there. Don't keep them from getting a job, doesn't do anything but provide a place for pigeons to shit. Helping them grow the fuck up and get control of their lives would be better. That said I take a try at #1.

1. We already tell the whole story. It's called history class. Maybe if we addressed the reason why black kids are dropping out of school and stop it, we can keep them in a history class and they can get the whole story. We can also go into the aboust creed slaves and southerners suffered under reconstruction some to so the kids know who ALL the villains were and why they did what they did.

2. Stop depicting a confederate soldier as a guy dressed in a sheet scaring black people. It's a patent lie that only blacks and freed slaves were targeted by the KLAN. Catholics, Jews, Irish, union sympathisers, all have been killed at the end of a rope. Move the statues? Sure, but let the public decied with a referendum or something. Not just a knee jerk reaction to please the mob and that brings me to number 3.

Stop pandering to violent protesters. Whit or black, if they will protest fine. Stay on yalls side of the street and yell, but black or white, make a move towards each other suffer swift and violent action by the police.

And curb the media. They don't show us this to inform, they do it to pay some dumb blond with big tie a salary and for ratings. Turn off the TV..

Been working since midnight and I'm tired. Mayhap I can think up a name or an insult or two after a nap.

Excellent post.

The #1 target of the Klan was Republicans. The KKK was the terrorist wing of the democratic party, identical then to what ANTIFA is now.

Except the Klan. Guys typically set people on fire rather then cars. Its amazing and frightening how "in" everything the Klan was. If one liked conspiracy stuff, they need only read up on a who's who in the Klan. Scarey shit what a well placed few bad guys can do and get away with.

The democrats will burn it down in short order. They are no different than the Taliban. They will destroy anything that contrasts with their goals.

IF they should win this current civil war, the next generation will be taught that there was a slave uprising against the hated whites. They will not be told of the civil war, nor of the brave soldiers of the Union who fought to end slavery and preserve the nation. No, the democrats will rewrite it to make black slaves the heroes who rose up against their oppressors, which is why it is good and proper that whites be forced into ghettos and denied the same rights that the preferred people have.

Not this one....

"In the Fremont neighborhood, a statue of Vladimir Lenin has sat at North 36th Street and Fremont Place North since the mid-1990s."
Mayor Murray calls for the removal of controversial monuments in Seattle
lenin-fremont.jpg

Lenin, in Seattle.

Bernie may use it as background on his next presidential run....

I'll shit. If that were the case then we could just sweep a whole bunch more atrocities under the same rug. By your reasoning, if one had an issue with the Indian wars we could justify the whole plague blanket thing, not to mention all the other little armed conflicts we have participated in since America has been America. Read George Washingtons auto biography. It describes the incident, who was involved and all that.As for the blacks at Ft. Pillow, the blacks were dehumanized. It was a war. Look, if I was in Afghanistan and I wanted some Haji shits to surrender and I rounded up two of their neighbors, got them on their knees and bashed their heads in front of the bad guys to make them come out I'm pretty sure I would be on the news as a war criminal. Takes were just different.

No, they really weren't. Forrest didn't kill PW's at Ft. Pillow because there was a tactical advantage. He killed them because they were blacks who took up arms against slavery.

Forum List

Back