Zone1 God destroyed Sodom, any current comparisons to Sodom today?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
This story is one of the most intriguing stories in the Bible. Here we have Abraham, a righteous man, pleading to God to save the evil city of Sodom.

Abraham Pleads for Sodom​

16 When the men got up to leave, they looked down toward Sodom, and Abraham walked along with them to see them on their way. 17 Then the Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? 18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.[a] 19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.”

20 Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.[b] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare[c] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

26 The Lord said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

27 Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five people?”

“If I find forty-five there,” he said, “I will not destroy it.”

29 Once again he spoke to him, “What if only forty are found there?”

He said, “For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”

30 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”

He answered, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.”

31 Abraham said, “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”

He said, “For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”

32 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”

He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”

33 When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

What do we know about Sodom? Were they really that bad? We have an account of strangers, two men who were angelic in origin, walking into Sodom. The town followed them to the house of Lot and demanded that Lot give them the strangers to gang rape. But when Lot refused, the angelic being blinded them all and left the city to burn.

Has any people on earth today reached this level of depravity, or is the entire world already there?

God even did the same with the nation of Israel.

Leviticus 18?28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

Israel became so corrupt, as corrupt, if not more so, than the people they replaced in Israel, God passed judgement on them as God spewed them out of Jerusalem and into Babylonian captivity.

But he did not destroy them entirely. There were some good men, such as Jeremiah and Daniel, still left in the mix.

This shows us that God is in control of the Holy Land today, not Israel, not the UN, not the US.

God will decide.

Liberty College?
1698585702577.png

We saw the sexual impurity of the leader of Liberty College. It hurt the college.
I suppose you could extend this discussion to and individual level.

When does God reach his limit with someone?

Dunno, but we all have a limit.

Liberty College?
Satan is always trying to get into christian schools and colleges and he seemed to be successful in this instance. But he was removed. You should visit Liberty college...although you would probably be struck by lightning.

Satan is always trying to get into christian schools and colleges and he seemed to be successful in this instance. But he was removed. You should visit Liberty college...although you would probably be struck by lightning.

As a Christian, not likely.

An equally fascinating story is the story of Jonah. To my knowledge, it is the only account of God sending a prophet to a people to try and convince them to repent of their wicked ways so he would not have to destroy them, and it worked. The people turned from their wicked ways and were spared.

But when God sent Jonah, he was not pleased with God for wanting to spare the people because of the way they treated Israelites. Johan wanted them all the burn like those in Sodom. So, Johan decided to reject the calling from God to preach to the people and was subsequently eaten by a whale. Then when the whale spewed him back to dry land, Jonah finally decided to see things God's way. He went into the town and preached, and they repented, much to Jonah's chagrin.

All other accounts of prophets being sent to warn people failed, at least Biblically speaking. Why did it work then but not at other times?

Fascinating stuff.

What can we learn from the previous Biblical stories?

We learn that God is not on the side of any particular person, rather, man is either on the side of God or against him. But at the same time, God does not wish to destroy any of his creation. After all, he put them here.

If it were God's aim to destroy the people of Gaza or Israel then they would be gone over night. No, they have a purpose, they still have hope.

So, people on both sides, do you find yourself like Jonah? Do you long for the destruction of the "evil folk"? If so, you may find yourself swallowed up by a whale and sent to have them repent, which is the last thing on earth you wish to do.

Just know that the way you treat others, is the way God will judge you.

Turdy Tainted always makes be say out loud Sodem to his posts and his scummy ilk .
Just a minor speech defect .

This story is one of the most intriguing stories in the Bible. Here we have Abraham, a righteous man, pleading to God to save the evil city of Sodom.

Abraham Pleads for Sodom​

16 When the men got up to leave, they looked down toward Sodom, and Abraham walked along with them to see them on their way. 17 Then the Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? 18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.[a] 19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.”

20 Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.[b] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare[c] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

26 The Lord said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

27 Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five people?”

“If I find forty-five there,” he said, “I will not destroy it.”

29 Once again he spoke to him, “What if only forty are found there?”

He said, “For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”

30 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”

He answered, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.”

31 Abraham said, “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”

He said, “For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”

32 Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”

He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”

33 When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

What do we know about Sodom? Were they really that bad? We have an account of strangers, two men who were angelic in origin, walking into Sodom. The town followed them to the house of Lot and demanded that Lot give them the strangers to gang rape. But when Lot refused, the angelic being blinded them all and left the city to burn.

Has any people on earth today reached this level of depravity, or is the entire world already there?
lots...
and this is what the Bible (Ezekiel) says about why those cities were destroyed.

Ezekiel 16:49-50

New International Version

49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

Forum List

Back