Finding Southern food in northern California...

[

I don't know how you guys can eat grits. I've never had it but I've seen it, and it looks like a bowl full of mush. :D

Ever had Polenta?

Same damn thing.

I've never actually tried it, but I've seen it made on the Food Network, which I really love to watch. Sometimes they bake it and cut it in squares, so it's not so mushy like the grits.

depends on how you make the cornbread...baked in the oven in cake pan...thats not cornbread...one needs an iron skillet

Yup, I use a cast iron pan to make it when I make homemade cornbread, but I've had a difficult time finding good cornmeal. Some brands have no flavor and the cornbread comes out really bland.

I know you southerners are going to kill me for saying that a lot of times I make Jiffy brand cornbread. :lol: I like to make corn on the cob and scrape the corn off the cob and then put that in the bread. Gives it a lot more flavor. I also sometimes add a little cayenne pepper.

depends on how you make the cornbread...baked in the oven in cake pan...thats not cornbread...one needs an iron skillet

Yup, I use a cast iron pan to make it when I make homemade cornbread, but I've had a difficult time finding good cornmeal. Some brands have no flavor and the cornbread comes out really bland.

I know you southerners are going to kill me for saying that a lot of times I make Jiffy brand cornbread. :lol: I like to make corn on the cob and scrape the corn off the cob and then put that in the bread. Gives it a lot more flavor. I also sometimes add a little cayenne pepper.

LOL...my wife is from the South- we normally keep Jiffy around......

any dish needing okra has to be southern you can barely grow it outside the south needs hot ass weather

Never tried okra either. What does it taste like?

Okra is a tricky vegetable- lots of people try it and hate it- because if it isn't cooked right- well it has an odd consistency.

Taste? Maybe a little like green beans? But it is its own flavor.

Fried okra is good- but what isn't good fried? Good in gumbo, and also good in some SE Asian dishes.

What we prefer now is to grill it whole- toss it with olive oil and salt and pepper- grill until just starting to brown and turn- usually not more than about 5 minutes total- eat everything but the stem.

any dish needing okra has to be southern you can barely grow it outside the south needs hot ass weather

Never tried okra either. What does it taste like?

Okra is a tricky vegetable- lots of people try it and hate it- because if it isn't cooked right- well it has an odd consistency.

Taste? Maybe a little like green beans? But it is its own flavor.

Fried okra is good- but what isn't good fried? Good in gumbo, and also good in some SE Asian dishes.

What we prefer now is to grill it whole- toss it with olive oil and salt and pepper- grill until just starting to brown and turn- usually not more than about 5 minutes total- eat everything but the stem.

I would probably pass on that. I'm not a huge vegetable lover. :D

I've never actually tried it, but I've seen it made on the Food Network, which I really love to watch. Sometimes they bake it and cut it in squares, so it's not so mushy like the grits.

I used to go to a diner in Georgetown, in the El Dorado Hills between Placerville and Auburn, that served a fried grits breakfast, crispy on the outside, creamy in the middle. Top notch food.

I used to go to a diner in Georgetown, in the El Dorado Hills between Placerville and Auburn, that served a fried grits breakfast, crispy on the outside, creamy in the middle. Top notch food.

Meh, I think I'd prefer home fries. Home fries are one of my favorite foods. I love potatoes cooked pretty any way. Thank God for potatoes! :p

Meh, I think I'd prefer home fries. Home fries are one of my favorite foods. I love potatoes cooked pretty any way. Thank God for potatoes! :p

Very different flavors involved. Grits ultimately tastes like Cream of Wheat - even though it's made from corn. As was said, anything taste good fried, but these grits were special, soaked up all the flavors from the flattop. I don't know if that's true Southern or not, but it was good.

Had some cheese grits this morning with turkey sausage and eggs mixed up in it. Damn that was good.

Yes Sir!

Grits are a vehicle for cheese and butter made to be a fork companion of bacon, sausage or ham. We use chicken or beef stock instead of water to boil ours.

If y'all are interested, I'll post a cheese grit casserole my wife makes. We take it to pot luck events and no one realizes they're eating grits. The dish is always cleaned out.

You'll have to supply your own defibrillator.

Last edited:
I've never been able to like grits. I've tried - a few of my chef friends have made them for me, swearing that this time I'd like them.

Never worked out, though. I can't think of grits as anything other than wallpaper paste.

Just because you're from the south does not mean your opinions about food outweigh anyone else's. Some of us Yankees have improved on some of your recipes. :D

1. Yes it does.
2. No y'all haven't.
3. South is capitalized.
4. north, east and west are not.
5. Bless your sweet little Yankee heart.:wink_2:

il_340x270.466074630_c8fw.jpg

Forum List

Back