Finding Southern food in northern California...

Gumbo and jambalaya are not "southern cooking".
I disagree. My family is from the south.

Gumbo - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"Gumbo is a dish that originated in southern Louisiana from the Louisiana Creole people during the 18th century. "

Louisiana is in the south yes.. You got that part right.

People eat gumbo as much in Idaho and in Tennessee.

I don't know how you guys can eat grits. I've never had it but I've seen it, and it looks like a bowl full of mush. :D
Grits are so good with butter and fried eggs.

Shrimp and grits........cheese grits.....I love good grits......perfect with bacon and eggs.

I prefer home fries with bacon and eggs. Oh, I love me some homey home fries! Crispy on the outside, melt in your mouth on the inside. I'm getting so hungry now! :lol:

That is just what we used to fry up to smother our browns beans and cornbread with, and the katsup with raw onions........

"Gumbo is a dish that originated in southern Louisiana from the Louisiana Creole people during the 18th century. "

I don't know how you guys can eat grits. I've never had it but I've seen it, and it looks like a bowl full of mush. :D

Shrimp and grits........cheese grits.....I love good grits......perfect with bacon and eggs.
Cheese grits? I will have to give that a try. What kind of cheese? Grated Parmesan?

I use chedder- paremesan would make it a little too much like the italian dish- but jack would work nicely too.

Cheese grits? I will have to give that a try. What kind of cheese? Grated Parmesan?

I use chedder- paremesan would make it a little too much like the italian dish- but jack would work nicely too.
I love Italian food so my mind is already thinking about the Parmesan.

There's a great BBQ spot in SF called Memphis Minnie's

Bob died..........apparently the way any good pitmaster should....from a heart attack.

I miss Flint's in Oakland. That was the VVBest BBQ spot in the BA.

I never had Flint's....I have had Everett and Jones....and it is okay but not great.
You missed out. Flints was probably the best I have ever tasted besides my own.

Bob died..........apparently the way any good pitmaster should....from a heart attack.

Right by CP Bannons? Do you remember McCoy's?

It was on Shattuck near 66th.

Flint s BBQ - CLOSED - East Oakland - Oakland CA Yelp

I'm not familiar with the places you mentioned.

Gumbo and jambalaya are not "southern cooking".

It's just ground corn.....
native american in origin.....but you knew that didnt you?

Parmegiano Reggiano! I'm spoiled now and can't eat any other.

Did they expand? The link you posted is in east oakland right by Havenscourt. McCoys was on the border of North Oakland and Berkeley.

You can't go wrong with parmesan- what I was thinking of was Polenta......more yummy food.

Did they expand? The link you posted is in east oakland right by Havenscourt. McCoys was on the border of North Oakland and Berkeley.

At one point they did expand - I think the kids tried to run the places. It didn't work out.

Forum List

Back