Finding Southern food in northern California...

There's a great BBQ spot in SF called Memphis Minnie's

Bob died..........apparently the way any good pitmaster should....from a heart attack.

Yep. It sucks, he was cool as shit.

Yes he was- we started going there shortly after he opened the Haight Street place- I think he operated out of the back of a bar before then- and he had time to philosophize about BBQ.

I was never as fond of his sauces- but as Bob told us many times- if BBQ needs a sauce- its not good BBQ.

In my opinion- a California boy who ate lots of BBQ in SC, NC, GA and TN- its still the best BBQ in SF

I make my own barbecue sauce and it's awesome. I've also make all kinds of flavors of glazes for ribs. I like the cherry glaze the best. God, that stuff is deeeelicious. :) I want some right now.

Bob died..........apparently the way any good pitmaster should....from a heart attack.

Yes he was- we started going there shortly after he opened the Haight Street place- I think he operated out of the back of a bar before then- and he had time to philosophize about BBQ.

I was never as fond of his sauces- but as Bob told us many times- if BBQ needs a sauce- its not good BBQ.

In my opinion- a California boy who ate lots of BBQ in SC, NC, GA and TN- its still the best BBQ in SF
True dat.

"if BBQ needs a sauce- its not good BBQ."

True dat.

I disagree. Barbecue sauce is awesome. It makes the ribs nice and sticky and delicious.

True dat.

I disagree. Barbecue sauce is awesome. It makes the ribs nice and sticky and delicious.
You miss the point. I dont care how good the sauce may be. If your Q needs sauce its not good Q. Its more of a cover up for bad cooking technique and seasoning.

True dat.

You miss the point. I dont care how good the sauce may be. If your Q needs sauce its not good Q. Its more of a cover up for bad cooking technique.

Not at all. It adds to the flavor. :D Also, we Yankees on the northeast coast have lobsta and chowda. :lol:

Can it even be done? All I want is some real tea and fried chicken and maybe some greens and cornbread on the side. It's been like three years. -.-
Learn to cook.

I'd like to have a mobile kitchen, and do gumbo and jambalaya at festivals in the Rocky Mountain states during the summer.

Gumbo and jambalaya are not "southern cooking".
I disagree. My family is from the south.

Gumbo - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"Gumbo is a dish that originated in southern Louisiana from the Louisiana Creole people during the 18th century. "

Louisiana is in the south yes.. You got that part right.

People eat gumbo as much in Idaho and in Tennessee.

Can it even be done? All I want is some real tea and fried chicken and maybe some greens and cornbread on the side. It's been like three years. -.-
Learn to cook.

I'd like to have a mobile kitchen, and do gumbo and jambalaya at festivals in the Rocky Mountain states during the summer.

"Gumbo is a dish that originated in southern Louisiana from the Louisiana Creole people during the 18th century. "

I don't know how you guys can eat grits. I've never had it but I've seen it, and it looks like a bowl full of mush. :D

Gonna have to disagree about the sauces, I love the Texas Red and the Beelzebub's Breath.

But Bob's brisket doesn't "need" any sauce.

Learn to cook.

I don't know how you guys can eat grits. I've never had it but I've seen it, and it looks like a bowl full of mush. :D
It's just ground corn.....

Learn to cook.

Grits are so good with butter and fried eggs.

True dat.

You miss the point. I dont care how good the sauce may be. If your Q needs sauce its not good Q. Its more of a cover up for bad cooking technique.

Not at all. It adds to the flavor. :D Also, we Yankees on the northeast coast have lobsta and chowda. :lol:

LOL....there is no 'right' or 'wrong' but when it comes to BBQ we all have opinions.....and of course mine is the correct one......

Learn to cook.

native american in origin.....but you knew that didnt you?

Learn to cook.

Shrimp and grits........cheese grits.....I love good grits......perfect with bacon and eggs.

native american in origin.....but you knew that didnt you?
Yes, but it's not my fav, only if I was starving would I eat it....My Ma used to make rice for breakfast also...I'd eat corn pone before I'd eat grits...

Shrimp and grits........cheese grits.....I love good grits......perfect with bacon and eggs.
Cheese grits? I will have to give that a try. What kind of cheese? Grated Parmesan?

True dat.

LOL....there is no 'right' or 'wrong' but when it comes to BBQ we all have opinions.....and of course mine is the correct one......

That does it, it's cook off time! :p

Forum List

Back