Finding Southern food in northern California...

Pedro,

Find a Soul Food restaurant.

The origins of the term Soul Food

"Soul Food is a term used for an ethnic cuisine, food traditionally prepared and eaten by African Americans of the Southern United States. Many of the various dishes and ingredients included in "soul food" are also regional meals and comprise a part of other Southern US cooking, as well. The style of cooking originated during American slavery. African slaves were given only the "leftover" and "undesirable" cuts of meat from their masters (while the white slave owners got the meatiest cuts of ham, roasts, etc.).

We also had only vegetables grown for ourselves. After slavery, many, being poor, could afford only off-cuts of meat, along with offal. Farming, hunting and fishing provided fresh vegetables, fish and wild game, such as possum, rabbit, squirrel and sometimes waterfowl. Africans living in America at the time (and since) more than made do with the food choices we had to work with. Dishes or ingredients commonly found in soul food include:..."

Soul Food a brief history African American Registry

Just because you're from the south does not mean your opinions about food outweigh anyone else's. Some of us Yankees have improved on some of your recipes. :D

1. Yes it does.
2. No y'all haven't.
3. South is capitalized.
4. north, east and west are not.
5. Bless your sweet little Yankee heart.:wink_2:

il_340x270.466074630_c8fw.jpg

1. No it doesn't. That is just your own opinion.
2. Yes, I most certainly have, and I could out cook any southerner (small "S" - Lol) blindfolded with only one hand. :D
3. No, it is not. You are wrong.
4. Correct.
5. I know what that means. Phony southerners who are afraid to be honest. :D

I've never been able to like grits. I've tried - a few of my chef friends have made them for me, swearing that this time I'd like them.

Never worked out, though. I can't think of grits as anything other than wallpaper paste.

I've heard that too. I also had a friend from the "south" who used to brag about her cooking all the time, and it really was not that impressive. :) She was a big fat woman, and her husband probably weighed 115 pounds. Lol.

Just because you're from the south does not mean your opinions about food outweigh anyone else's. Some of us Yankees have improved on some of your recipes. :D

1. Yes it does.
2. No y'all haven't.
3. South is capitalized.

2. Yes, I most certainly have, and I could out cook any southerner (small "S" - Lol) blindfolded with only one hand. :D
4. Correct.

You be sweet now Darl'in, ya hear?:beer:

1. Yes it does.
2. No y'all haven't.
3. South is capitalized.

4. Correct.

You be sweet now Darl'in, ya hear?:beer:

Whatevs. The bottom line is . . . I am right and you are wrong. :D

sure there is.....soul food is gonna be a lot more salty and have a lot more fat added to it.....not that i am claiming southern cooking is health food either but it tends not to be as fatty or salty unless paula deen is doing it
Must depend on who is cooking it. Southern food is the only food I dont automatically assume tastes bad when cooked by non professional whites.

Wow, you are a true blue racist.

Forum List

Back