Families First Coronavirus Response Act question

Why do big corporations and businesses (500 or more employees) get out of having to pay employees for being off for having covid, being quarantined because of advice from local health officials, or having to take care of someone covid related?
I am asking because this lady i know has covid. Her husbands business sent him home for 14 days with no pay. They refuse to pay him because they have more than 500 employees.
Can someone explain the reasoning for this?
Is this just another example of the duopolies sucking off corporations?
It was my understanding that every company had to give the 10 paid days for covid, covid related.

But those with less than 500 employees got reimbursed by the govt for it.

Your neighbor situation seems wrong.
Nope. Companies with more than 500 employees didnt have to do jack squat. The choice was only taken away from the little guys.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)
The paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave provisions of the FFCRA apply to certain public employers, and private employers with fewer than 500 employees.
The small companies got a hand out, and the big companies didn't.

Well, that's not exactly true, either. Other parts of the covid relief bill, they did in fact get handouts too. I honestly miss the beef here. Small businesses were given money to pay employees a sick leave if they got covid.
They didnt have to spend that loan money on payroll, though. They could have used every dime on utilities and mortgage or rent and they would have been in the clear.
Why do big corporations and businesses (500 or more employees) get out of having to pay employees for being off for having covid, being quarantined because of advice from local health officials, or having to take care of someone covid related?
I am asking because this lady i know has covid. Her husbands business sent him home for 14 days with no pay. They refuse to pay him because they have more than 500 employees.
It was my understanding that every company had to give the 10 paid days for covid, covid related.

Nope. Companies with more than 500 employees didnt have to do jack squat. The choice was only taken away from the little guys.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)
The paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave provisions of the FFCRA apply to certain public employers, and private employers with fewer than 500 employees.
Wow! If that is true, that is a huge payoff to big corporations!!! :eek:
This whole year has been a huge payoff to the big guys.
U.S. Billionaires ‘Thriving’ – Gained $1 Trillion (Up 34%) Since The COVID Lockdowns Started | Climate Depot
More than 100,000 small businesses have permanently closed due to coronavirus, study estimates | TheHill

"you cant get covid at walmart!" lol
That's just what consumers decided to do. Stores that sell food didn't have to close - but Walmart is way fuckin cheaper to buy things in bulk and people shop where it's cheaper.

People wanted to limit going out when the infection rate was highest, online shopping (hello amazon, grub hub, etc) magically increased.

Pizza shops did fuckin awesome during our first quarantine.

You work for a small company? You are covered.
You work at a big company? You are fucked if they deem it.
THAT is a problem and they are clearly picking sides.
No, the problem is that the big companies that dont pay sick leave are greedy.

The program did the right thing - they paid the cost for the smaller companies who cannot afford it.
IF they can afford it at the time. As i said, they were even forced to pay 3 MONTHS of salary for certain circumstances.
Sure, they are greedy. So dont work for them. But my point is the duopoly gave them a free pass and not the small businesses.
I know 2 people that work for big business and they didnt get paid. If they worked for my company, they would have been. Our company doesnt have a choice. Unlike the big rollers.
The choice was taken away.
The small businesses got a LITERALLY free pass...wtf are you talking about?

The Gov't paid for it. In full!

And not only that, they also offered readily available Loans for small businesses who, if they could show they used it due to the pandemic, were forgiven from paying back.
No, it isnt literally. They LITERALLY had the choice taken from them. And for having their choice taken away, they would be paid by tax credits NEXT YEAR.
Big business kept their choice. They have the ability to tell the employees to fuck off. No tax credits. No being FORCED to go against their will. NOTHING.
You work for a big company, the govt left you in the dust. As those people i mentioned can agree on.
Yes, the small companies LITERALLY had it all taken care of for them with a tax credit. Bitching about when they get the credit, because it's in a few months, is quite nit-picky insane. They were able to pay their employees while they were sick as opposed to letting them go broke, firing them, or taking the hit themselves. That's a handout you're complaining about. Super weird.
Gawd help those companies that cant afford 3 months salary with no production.
Too bad they didnt have a CHOICE, unlike the big guys that line congressmen pockets.
What in the insane mess are you talking about? The Gov't also made Loans available...

You're literally whining that small companies didn't have the "choice" not to accept free money to keep their employees having an income due to unfortunately contracting the Co-co.

It's lunacy, I tell ya!

The program did the right thing - they paid the cost for the smaller companies who cannot afford it.
IF they can afford it at the time. As i said, they were even forced to pay 3 MONTHS of salary for certain circumstances.
Sure, they are greedy. So dont work for them. But my point is the duopoly gave them a free pass and not the small businesses.
I know 2 people that work for big business and they didnt get paid. If they worked for my company, they would have been. Our company doesnt have a choice. Unlike the big rollers.

And not only that, they also offered readily available Loans for small businesses who, if they could show they used it due to the pandemic, were forgiven from paying back.
No, it isnt literally. They LITERALLY had the choice taken from them. And for having their choice taken away, they would be paid by tax credits NEXT YEAR.
Big business kept their choice. They have the ability to tell the employees to fuck off. No tax credits. No being FORCED to go against their will. NOTHING.
You work for a big company, the govt left you in the dust. As those people i mentioned can agree on.
Yes, the small companies LITERALLY had it all taken care of for them with a tax credit. Bitching about when they get the credit, because it's in a few months, is quite nit-picky insane. They were able to pay their employees while they were sick as opposed to letting them go broke, firing them, or taking the hit themselves. That's a handout you're complaining about. Super weird.
Too bad they didnt have a CHOICE, unlike the big guys that line congressmen pockets.
What in the insane mess are you talking about? The Gov't also made Loans available...

You're literally whining that small companies didn't have the "choice" not to accept free money to keep their employees having an income due to unfortunately contracting the Co-co.

It's lunacy, I tell ya!
My whole point is small businesses didnt have a choice and big business did.
People arent getting paid because the big business had a choice.
You are the only one in this thread that cant grasp my point.
The tax credits 8 months down the road are irrelevant. THEY LEFT BIG BUSINESS ALONE.

It's lunacy, I tell ya!
My whole point is small businesses didnt have a choice and big business did.
People arent getting paid because the big business had a choice.
You are the only one in this thread that cant grasp my point.
The tax credits 8 months down the road are irrelevant. The loans did not have to go to salaries and even if they did, its irrelevant. THEY LEFT BIG BUSINESS ALONE.
They didnt need a choice, what the fuck did they need a choice for?

"umm, we choose NOT to pay our employees with the money that isnt even ours to begin with."

You make zero sense.

You said the tax credits are later, so the whine there is that maybe they cant afford the sick leave ahead of time...but then said the loans dont have to go to payroll...hmm, just a question, here - - but if they cant afford to front the cost of a FREE sick leave, and the Gov't ALSO made funding available FOR them to front the cost....What on earth would they not be using the loan on the sick leave for then?

Your gripe here makes zero sense.

"forced to take free money! i cant BELIEVE this!!"

The main features for small businesses are emergency grants and a forgivable loan program for companies with 500 or fewer employees. There are also changes to rules for expenses and deductions meant to make it easier for companies to keep employees on the payroll and stay open in the near-term.

Emergency grants: The bill provides $10 billion for grants of up to $10,000 to provide emergency funds for small businesses to cover immediate operating costs.

Forgivable loans: There is $350 billion allocated for the Small Business Administration to provide loans of up to $10 million per business. Any portion of that loan used to maintain payroll, keep workers on the books or pay for rent, mortgage and existing debt could be forgiven, provided workers stay employed through the end of June.

Relief for existing loans: There is $17 billion to cover six months of payments for small businesses already using SBA loans.

Care4All was right, by the way:

All businesses: The bill establishes a fully refundable tax credit for businesses of all size that are closed or distressed to help them keep workers on the payroll. The goal is to get those employees hired back or put on paid furlough to make sure they have jobs to return to. The credit covers to 50 percent of payroll on the first $10,000 of compensation, including health benefits, for each employee.

For employers with more than 100 full-time employees, the credit is for wages paid to employees when they are not providing services because of the coronavirus. Eligible employers with 100 or fewer full-time employees could use the deduction even if they aren't closed.

I fucking give up. Jesus Christ.
You should. You're arguing that small businesses weren't given a "choice" not to pay for a sick leave with money that isn't even theirs and doesnt cost them a dime. That is pretty fuckin stupid.

All businesses: The bill establishes a fully refundable tax credit for businesses of all size that are closed or distressed to help them keep workers on the payroll. The goal is to get those employees hired back or put on paid furlough to make sure they have jobs to return to. The credit covers to 50 percent of payroll on the first $10,000 of compensation, including health benefits, for each employee.

For employers with more than 100 full-time employees, the credit is for wages paid to employees when they are not providing services because of the coronavirus. Eligible employers with 100 or fewer full-time employees could use the deduction even if they aren't closed.
No she wasnt. Companies with over 500 employees didnt have to do a damn thing. The smaller companies got forced to pay wages.

I have posted the document strait from the govt. There isnt much more i can do. I cant force people to comprehend what they are reading and what is actually happening in the real world :dunno:

No she wasnt. Companies with over 500 employees didnt have to do a damn thing. The smaller companies got forced to pay wages.
The smaller companies were not forced to pay a dime. They were given a loan to pay for the sick leave now, and a credit on their taxes to pay for the loan at tax time.

That's some fucked up lakka-logic you have their.

And as far as big businesses - that's super fuckin weird that the Cares Act literally says verbatim what you say it doesn't say: For employers with more than 100 full-time employees, the credit is for wages paid to employees when they are not providing services because of the coronavirus.

I.E. The Gov't pays for their employees' wages as part of the Cares act, so why would the bill in your OP also pay for it.

HRRRMMMMM

I have posted the document strait from the govt. There isnt much more i can do. I cant force people to comprehend what they are reading and what is actually happening in the real world :dunno:
You literally whined about the small business not having the choice not to pay a sick leave...with money thats not even theirs.

That's not no0t getting the point, its that the point is incredibly fucking stupid...and now you're backtracking.

Did you not whine that "what if they dont have the funds to pay for someone who isnt producing?"

Wasnt that you? Yes, that was you.

Then I showed you that that's what the Loans were for...

Now you're shifting to "bro, you just dont get it"

which is just shying away from being wrong about something. Do what you gotta do to complain about something, no sweat off my back - - - I'm just posting the facts that should assuage your gripe.

The smaller companies were not forced to pay a dime. They were given a loan to pay for the sick leave now, and a credit on their taxes to pay for the loan at tax time.

And as far as big businesses - that's super fuckin weird that the Cares Act literally says verbatim what you say it doesn't say: For employers with more than 100 full-time employees, the credit is for wages paid to employees when they are not providing services because of the coronavirus.

I.E. The Gov't pays for their employees' wages as part of the Cares act, so why would the bill in your OP also pay for it.

HRRRMMMMM
That in no way says big companies have to pay wages for work absence because of covid

HRRRMMMMM
That in no way says big companies have to pay wages for work absence because of covid
Correct - it says the Government will pay it for them. So, it seems like your anecdotal story in the OP was the result of some Large Corporation's humongoloid fuckin' ignorance of the assistance they were Granted. Are you sure they deserve to still be Incorporated?

Another thing is really, there's a shit ton of money small businesses left on the table - that's likely caused by most small business owners having a kind of mom and pop IQ, like, they didn't even know about the money that was available to them...there's really no other excuse.

This things was really good for that initial hit. Small business owners should be linked.

You literally whined about the small business not having the choice not to pay a sick leave...with money thats not even theirs.

That's not no0t getting the point, its that the point is incredibly fucking stupid...and now you're backtracking.

Did you not whine that "what if they dont have the funds to pay for someone who isnt producing?"

which is just shying away from being wrong about something. Do what you gotta do to complain about something, no sweat off my back - - - I'm just posting the facts that should assuage your gripe.
The whole point for posting this thread was that big business did not have to pay their workers if they didnt want.
Small companies DID. Whether they could afford it or not. your bullshit "tax credits 8 months later" doesnt mean jack to many companies.
You can also be denied a ppe loan. They arent just handing out checks. Banks even set up their own restrictions on top of the federal restrictions.

"Why do big corporations and businesses (500 or more employees) get out of having to pay employees for being off for having covid, being quarantined because of advice from local health officials, or having to take care of someone covid related?"

You answered your own question:

'500 or more employees' - Big Businesses do not want to / can not handle paying 500+ employees their salary while they are not working.

The question is why do small business have to pay you?

That's now how America normally works

Corporations are just doing the usual, small business didn't have anyone in the room to defend them. That's probably why

The whole point for posting this thread was that big business did not have to pay their workers if they didnt want.
Small companies DID. Whether they could afford it or not. your bullshit "tax credits 8 months later" doesnt mean jack to many companies.
You can also be denied a ppe loan. They arent just handing out checks. Banks even set up their own restrictions on top of the federal restrictions.
Dude, you're bending over backwards to whine about small businesses getting handed free money to protect their employees while they're out sick with Covid. They didn't have to afford it, there were loans made available and a credit at tax time. Now you're going to dip-shit even further to talk about how they weren't just handing out Loans. Right - I'm sure you have some great statistics on that not.

This was a super weird whine, altogether.

The Government bailed Small businesses out from having to lay off employees that got Covid...and to you this is an infringement on their Liberty to not accept free money.

Shake the magic 8-ball for the next goal post shift.

The latter part regarding what big businesses were and were not allowed to do is up in the air, as far as I'm concerned. I dont even know that they WERENT forced to pay the leave, according to another bill - - but what I do know is...they were paid to do it in the Cares Act. So it would be violently fucking stupid not to - unless the story isn't even true and you didnt fuck up some detail just to complain about this bill. That's on the table, too right?

The question is why do small business have to pay you?

That's now how America normally works

Corporations are just doing the usual, small business didn't have anyone in the room to defend them. That's probably why
^^ see what happens when you misinform people on the internet, Harley?

Hey "juicin," The gov't picked up the tab for the small businesses. No prollum.

The small companies got a hand out, and the big companies didn't.

Well, that's not exactly true, either. Other parts of the covid relief bill, they did in fact get handouts too. I honestly miss the beef here. Small businesses were given money to pay employees a sick leave if they got covid.
They didnt have to spend that loan money on payroll, though. They could have used every dime on utilities and mortgage or rent and they would have been in the clear.
No, only 25% could go to overhead. If they want the loan forgiven.

Forum List

Back