Families First Coronavirus Response Act question

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Why do big corporations and businesses (500 or more employees) get out of having to pay employees for being off for having covid, being quarantined because of advice from local health officials, or having to take care of someone covid related?
I am asking because this lady i know has covid. Her husbands business sent him home for 14 days with no pay. They refuse to pay him because they have more than 500 employees.
Can someone explain the reasoning for this?
Is this just another example of the duopolies sucking off corporations?

My Company pays, and we Employ around 10, 000
Good on them! My company pays but we have to.
I wonder how big companies got out of this? And the thing is, the ones that have the obligation get paid back through tax credits. So wtf

I wonder how big companies got out of this? And the thing is, the ones that have the obligation get paid back through tax credits. So wtf
Well, this is no offense whatsoever, intended...but I'd have to read what you're talking about before bitchin and just believin

Well, this is no offense whatsoever, intended...but I'd have to read what you're talking about before bitchin and just believin
Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Paid Leave Rights | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)
The paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave provisions of the FFCRA apply to certain public employers, and private employers with fewer than 500 employees

Generally, the Act provides that employees of covered employers are eligible for:

• Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; or
  • Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay because the employee is unable to work because of a bona fide need to care for an individual subject to quarantine (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), or to care for a child (under 18 years of age) whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19, and/or the employee is experiencing a substantially similar condition as specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of the Treasury and Labor; and
  • Up to an additional 10 weeks of paid expanded family and medical leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay where an employee, who has been employed for at least 30 calendar days, is unable to work due to a bona fide need for leave to care for a child whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19.

Why do big corporations and businesses (500 or more employees) get out of having to pay employees for being off for having covid, being quarantined because of advice from local health officials, or having to take care of someone covid related?
I am asking because this lady i know has covid. Her husbands business sent him home for 14 days with no pay. They refuse to pay him because they have more than 500 employees.
Because corporations aren't social welfare institutions.
But smaller companies are?

Because corporations aren't social welfare institutions.
But smaller companies are?

I reread your post afterward and realized my error. Yeah, that's corrupt bullshit.

Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Paid Leave Rights | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)
The paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave provisions of the FFCRA apply to certain public employers, and private employers with fewer than 500 employees

Generally, the Act provides that employees of covered employers are eligible for:

• Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; or
  • Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay because the employee is unable to work because of a bona fide need to care for an individual subject to quarantine (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), or to care for a child (under 18 years of age) whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19, and/or the employee is experiencing a substantially similar condition as specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of the Treasury and Labor; and
  • Up to an additional 10 weeks of paid expanded family and medical leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay where an employee, who has been employed for at least 30 calendar days, is unable to work due to a bona fide need for leave to care for a child whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19.
Yeah, see that's what I thought it would say.

These are businesses' that will have a hardship whereas the larger companies can cover it on their own, so they don't need the tax credit. Paid sick leave is already a part of most large corporations, and its mandatory in some places. so with that, and fmla, it's covered and unnecessary to include in this tax payer funded bill.

These are businesses' that will have a hardship whereas the larger companies can cover it on their own, so they don't need the tax credit. Paid sick leave is already a part of most large corporations, and its mandatory in some places. so with that, and fmla, it's covered and unnecessary to include in this tax payer funded bill.
Except the people arent being paid. They told my friends husband he will only get paid if he gets covid from his wife. Then, they will throw him on temporary disability.
This woman i work with has a son in law. He got covid and was out for a couple weeks. He works for printpack, a fortune 500 company. They told him to fuck off.
I dont agree with this Act. I dont agree with 90% of what comes out of Washington. But they left big companies to do their own thing while forcing smaller companies to pay. It isnt right.

Except the people arent being paid. They told my friends husband he will only get paid if he gets covid from his wife. Then, they will throw him on temporary disability.
This woman i work with has a son in law. He got covid and was out for a couple weeks. He works for printpack, a fortune 500 company. They told him to fuck off.
I dont agree with this Act. I dont agree with 90% of what comes out of Washington. But they left big companies to do their own thing while forcing smaller companies to pay. It isnt right.
The smaller companies are getting a tax credit. The larger companies dont need a tax credit. The larger companies that still dont provide sick pay are douchebags, but thats already illegal to do in some places..and there's also fmla which should protect their job, itself.

This act is better than I thought, lol! For the small businesses' protection, aspect. At first my brain was just passing it over as a probable tax deduction for them...which means they're not fully reimbursed.

But this is a tax credit for the entire amount.

Careful, Harley, your centrist side is showing. You appear to be correct. With as many tax breaks, that smaller companies and individual rarely can take advantage going to large corporation, it would not have hurt my feelings to say they were required, whether reimbursed or not. Of course that brings up unfunded mandates and would inspire big business republicans to hire lynch mobs, costing them even more money.

They didnt force smaller companies to pay - its a fully refunded credit:

Employers with fewer than 500 full-time or part-time employees can quickly begin taking advantage of two new refundable payroll tax credits designed to reimburse them, dollar for dollar, for the cost of providing leave to employees affected by COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Department of Labor (DOL) unveiled the plan in a March 20 press release.

They didnt force smaller companies to pay - its a fully refunded credit:

Employers with fewer than 500 full-time or part-time employees can quickly begin taking advantage of two new refundable payroll tax credits designed to reimburse them, dollar for dollar, for the cost of providing leave to employees affected by COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Department of Labor (DOL) unveiled the plan in a March 20 press release.
I know it is. But they still have to go through a process. They are STILL being forced to pay their wages. Bigger companies dont have to fuck with it.
Thats my point.
What if those smaller companies cant afford to pay wages with no production? They still have to. What if they cant afford to pay 2/3 wages to employees for 3 months because their school got shut down and daycare wasnt available? They cant fire them or anything. They are forced to pay whether they can afford it or not.
The big companies can tell the employees to fuck off.

Careful, Harley, your centrist side is showing. You appear to be correct. With as many tax breaks, that smaller companies and individual rarely can take advantage going to large corporation, it would not have hurt my feelings to say they were required, whether reimbursed or not. Of course that brings up unfunded mandates and would inspire big business republicans to hire lynch mobs, costing them even more money.
Im not defending forcing companies to do anything against their will. I am against this Act.
I am simply pointing out the favor towards big companies from the corrupt congress.

You work for a small company? You are covered.
You work at a big company? You are fucked if they deem it.
THAT is a problem and they are clearly picking sides.

Forum List

Back