Faith alone saves?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Faith alone saves?

No, it does not.

The Pharisees had faith.

The demons in hell have faith.

A man can have faith and still live a very evil life.

Paul taught that faith means nothing if you don't have love.

Pharisees didnt even believe in Christ...try again
You're being deliberately obtuse.

The point is, the Pharisees were good Jews.

They strictly adhered to the Sabbath.

They gave money to the temple.

They prayed constantly.

But -- they did not have love in their hearts.

They prayed constantly.

So they lacked Faith
The Pharisees had faith. They would not have acted as they did if they lacked faith.

What they lacked was love.

Faith alone saves.

There is no salvation through the law in the Catholics' vain works of the law, under the law, and subject to the jurisdiction of the law.

By such works they only bring further condemnation on themselves.

The Catholic religion allows no way out from the eternal bondage of sin, death and the devil, which they impose mercilessly and without grace on the poor in spirit.

Faith alone saves.

There is no salvation through the law in the Catholics' vain works of the law, under the law, and subject to the jurisdiction of the law.

By such works they only bring further condemnation on themselves.

The Catholic religion allows no way out from the eternal bondage of sin, death and the devil, which they impose mercilessly and without grace on the poor in spirit.
I'm not talking about good works, those also are useless if you don't have love.

What I'm saying is backed by the Bible. Read it yourself.

They prayed constantly.

So they lacked Faith
The Pharisees had faith. They would not have acted as they did if they lacked faith.

They trusted their good works and status.....they didnt believe in the Living Christ......No man comes to the Father but by ME

They prayed constantly.

So they lacked Faith

They trusted their good works and status.....they didnt believe in the Living Christ......No man comes to the Father but by ME
Sure, but there's Jews in heaven, the Bible reveals that Moses, Elijah and Abraham went to heaven.

We're talking about the Pharisees.

They had faith, they had good works, they had everything except love.

Paul says, without love, nothing else matters.

No he does not
1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I was wrong, you have to have faith and hope too.

But if you don't have love, none of these other things matter.

No he does not
1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Dont see anything there about it being the basis of salvation

No he does not

Dont see anything there about it being the basis of salvation
Faith, by itself, won't save you.

A lot of people have forgotten about love, but love was the whole point of Christ's teachings. He said, love God and love your neighbor. Faith is important, but love is the main thing.

Faith alone saves?

No, it does not.

The Pharisees had faith.

The demons in hell have faith.

A man can have faith and still live a very evil life.

Paul taught that faith means nothing if you don't have love.
To answer this question you must determine the definition of faith. Faith from Bible is believing that God exists and he gave his own son for our lives reach heaven.
Jews can't be saved if they don't believe that Jesus died for our souls.

Other people use the term "Faith" loosely like they have faith Alabama will win on Saturday.

Forum List

Back