Faith alone saves?

My mother had strong faith, she never missed Mass.

She did not love me.

Please substitute the word "faith" with religion. If your mom did not have love in her heart but never missed a mass, then it sounds like she had RELIGION, not faith.

A true faith in God involves surrender. Doing God's will, not out of duty, but out of a genuine LOVE and respect for God and His will. And God's will is for us to love.... to love God, and others. That is the first and second most important commands.
Excellent post. buttercup! Those are people who go to church to be seen and perhaps tithe each week, but it just religion to them. Right now I think Black rook has everything he needs to begin search for another church. One that does not find his life a sin, for it is not. I had a similar problem and talked to a pastor about it and found a new way. I have a;ways been a child with love in my heart and never went to church until I went to College~!

You are muddying the waters.

Faith is belief in God.

It is possible to believe in God, but not love him, or feel him loving you.

I have suffered this condition for many years.
Is it you rules of the church that are getting in the way of loving?

No he does not
1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Dont see anything there about it being the basis of salvation
Faith, by itself, won't save you.
Faith can by itself save you. If you live your life with so many sins such drug abuse, robbery, violence, you can turn it around and find God, learn about Jesus and God and save yourself.
Love is part of faith. You can't love Jesus and God without having the faith you will be saved by asking for forgiveness and pray.
You can have faith without love.

My mother had very strong faith.

She had no love for anyone, even herself.
Faith as in believing that God exists? Then yes, I guess you can have Faith without having Love. I believe when you have Love, Hope automatically comes with it. If you HAVE TRUE LOVE, experience true love, then Hope comes with it. It does for me anyways, and I am grateful for this. Compassion should be on the list, for many people are lacking in this, especially nowadays.

No he does not
1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Dont see anything there about it being the basis of salvation
Faith, by itself, won't save you.
Faith can by itself save you. If you live your life with so many sins such drug abuse, robbery, violence, you can turn it around and find God, learn about Jesus and God and save yourself.
Love is part of faith. You can't love Jesus and God without having the faith you will be saved by asking for forgiveness and pray.
You can have faith without love.

My mother had very strong faith.

She had no love for anyone, even herself.
But that was her issue and not yours, even though it is very painful. I can relate to a degree regarding Mother's, for I have some issues with my own, however, I'm not at fault and I give everything back to her and moving on. I continue to love her regardless of past issues. I sincerely hope your experience with your Mother hasn't deterred your faith and love for Christ and you've been able to forgive her.

Faith alone saves?

No, it does not.

The Pharisees had faith.

The demons in hell have faith.

A man can have faith and still live a very evil life.

Paul taught that faith means nothing if you don't have love.
(J)ames 2:26 "...faith without works is dead also."

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Can 'faith' alone save?

Faith alone might save but is dead 'salvation', also... right?

Forum List

Back