Elvis Movie on HBO

Awesome... I have said for 20 years someone needs to make a decent, well done movie about the story of Elvis.
Nit just cheap made for tv - but do it right.
I hope that is what they did here.
When the stream rent goes down - we are definitely going to watch it.

I saw it. And yes..Hanks did a good job. So did the guy that played elvis.

I watched it and didn't like it very much.

First of all the actor that played Elvis was not very convincing.

Second there was too much racial bullshit in it, as is typical of Hollywood nowadays.

The movie didn't seem to be very coherent.

However, Tom Hanks did an excellent job in his role and how can anyone not like to hear the Elvis songs?

Second there was too much racial bullshit in it, as is typical of Hollywood nowadays.

However, Tom Hanks did an excellent job in his role and how can anyone not like to hear the Elvis songs?
Racial shit?

Evidently you don't know much about Elvis's formative years....It was not as depicted in Forrest Gump you know. ;)

Jokes aside I thought it pretty even-handed in that regard.....If you want to go with lame social constructs.

Last edited:

I agree there was too much politically correct b.s. in the movie....but I do think the guy portraying Elvis was excellent.

Elvis started out great....served with distinction in the Armed Forces but unfortunately got into drugs later and as a result he died very young.

Col. Tom Parker was portrayed by Tom Hanks in a superb manner....he deserves the oscar for that performance.

It was sorta sad at the end with the real Elvis clip where he could barely stand but was still belting it out.

It's Austin Butler in this clip, then it is spliced and finishes with the real Elvis. Can you tell when Butler stops and Elvis starts?

It's Austin Butler in this clip, then it is spliced and finishes with the real Elvis. Can you tell when Butler stops and Elvis starts?
I can't say, it's just a old clip I pulled off You Tube.....It has over 2 million views so I suspect it's been around a while.....Either that or the movie is a lot more popular than I thought. ;)

I can't say, it's just a old clip I pulled off You Tube.....It has over 2 million views so I suspect it's been around a while.....Either that or the movie is a lot more popular than I thought. ;)
That might not have been a clip from the movie. I thought it was. The performance in the movie starts off with Austin Butler and ends with the real Elvis. The studio had to get special permission from the Presley estate to do that. I have not been able to identify when the change occurs.

That might not have been a clip from the movie. I thought it was. The performance in the movie starts off with Austin Butler and ends with the real Elvis. The studio had to get special permission from the Presley estate to do that. I have not been able to identify when the change occurs.
It makes sense it would have been edited as there is a lot of sad mumbling and such going on at the start.

Elvis was born into a relatively poor family in Tupelo Mississippi in 1935. He grew up in one of the most racist areas in the county. I lived in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana in the 40's and 50's. If you were black, you were a N****, you were poor, and whether you got treated like a human being depended on you showing property respect for white folks. Not everyone that came out of that environment were racist and I don't think Elvis was.

Elvis was born into a relatively poor family in Tupelo Mississippi in 1935. He grew up in one of the most racist areas in the county. I lived in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana in the 40's and 50's. If you were black, you were a N****, you were poor, and whether you got treated like a human being depended on you showing property respect for white folks. Not everyone that came out of that environment were racist and I don't think Elvis was.
Definitely not. (Elvis a racist)
The song "If I can Dream" was written after the death of MLK, and was to pay homage to his dream speech.
In one of his most famous performances singing this song, he specifically wanted an all white suit to look like a "southern plantation owner". This was no accident. He sang a anti-racist song while wearing an outfit wore by the most racist people in the country.
Also, Elvis risked getting sued by the network as they specifically contracted him to finish with a Christmas song. Elvis refused and sang the song anyway.
They also highlight this performance in the movie.

Why Elvis? My guess is that Elvis is a freaking industry today. Most young adults don't remember or care about Elvis outside of some lame movies and laughable characatures. Hollywood is invested and if the the Elvis industry can survive it needs a shot in the arm (no pun intended).

Why Elvis? My guess is that Elvis is a freaking industry today. Most young adults don't remember or care about Elvis outside of some lame movies and laughable characatures. Hollywood is invested and if the the Elvis industry can survive it needs a shot in the arm (no pun intended).
Why? Because Millions around the world still buy his music and hundreds of thousands visit Graceland every year. Elvis is so popular he is ranked No. 2 (behind Michael Jackson) on Forbes list of highest paid entertainers and he has been dead for 42 years. Also Tom Hanks is immensely popular with those over 50.

I saw the movie and thought it was pretty good. The guy that played Elvis didn't look much like Elvis but he had better moves and his acting was pretty good. The music was very good although I'm not an Elvis fan. For me the movie was very nostalgic. I remember as a teen attending an Elvis concert with my girlfriend. It wasn't much of a concert with tens of thousand of screaming teenage girls. I remember a local radio station refusing to play Elvis's music and a favorite teen station playing Heartbreak Hotel around the clock for 3 days. A lot of churches and some politicians were very anti-Elvis but the movie over played that part because that didn't last that long. He was not just popular with teens but older women. Not that many men liked him but they put up with him because of their girlfriends or wives. Overtime, he became popular with most people and any resistance fell away.

I think if he had got out of Vegas and did the touring which he loved, he would have lived a lot longer. In Vegas, he was playing for a lot of rich people that weren't really his greatest fans. Seeing Elvis in Vegas was really expense.

I watched it Saturday evening.....It was excellent!

Tom Hanks really made you hate Parker.

The scenes with Elvis and his mother were, well, sorta "uncomfortable".
I tried to like it, I really did.

But it sucked. Really sucked.

Horrible editing. Some of the worst editing I've ever seen. They should do it over.

Horrible acting. Horrible fat suit on Hanks, and they didn't put one on Butler for Elvis's later years.

This was a movie about Colonel Parker, not Elvis.

I tried to like it, I really did.

But it sucked. Really sucked.

Horrible editing. Some of the worst editing I've ever seen. They should do it over.

Horrible acting. Horrible fat suit on Hanks, and they didn't put one on Butler for Elvis's later years.

This was a movie about Colonel Parker, not Elvis.
When the idea of another Elvis movie got started there was essential no interest at all. However, a movie focused on the relationship between Cornel Parker and Elvis drew the attention of investors. When Hanks agreed to do the movie it was done deal.

As I said, I thought the movie was pretty good. The guy that played Elvis did not look like him and they overplayed the negative reaction to Elvis. Yes it existed but it was short lived. Other than that I think it's the best movie made about Elvis.

Being that it is now available for rent - we watched it last night.
It is disjointed, confusing at times, dazzling and bad.
Just bad.
For the first time perhaps ever, I will say Tom Hanks was the wrong actor to play Col Parker. The makeup was bad, bad enough it constantly announced itself scene after scene. A better choice would have been Dan Akroyd who, I believe, could have played the cheesiness of Col Parker that Hanks just didn't hit.
The stylistic scenes that were thrown in, did not belong. Two rap songs were played. Really?? Rap songs? It didn't fit. Modern music placed in late 1950s scenery is wrong. All the music you had to choose from - and the producer chose Rap??
The scene with Little Richard. Obviously tried to make him fit the modern trans person. He was not. Little Richard was one "out there" dude. No doubt. He was all over the place. But he was not trans. He did not look like a skinny little girl/boy on stage. He wore suits and ties and if anything was overtly masculine in his early years. It wasn't until the 1970s that, like other performers, started wearing flamboyant costumes and crossing sexual lines. If he would have acted like this ridiculous portrayal in 1959 - he would have probably been found beat to death behind the joint.
All in all I was seriously disappointed.
The Elvis story, without embellishments, is interesting enough. A man with enormous talents surrounded by people who tricked/abused and used him. Indeed, there are really only two people in his entire life that didn't use him for money. Priscilla and his mother. And the former he took for granted and abandoned, only to deeply-deeply regret losing her.
This movie is not an Elvis story. It is a fantasy piece kinda sorta surrounding real events.

Skip it. If you were hoping finally for a decent movie about Elvis - you won't find it here.

Being that it is now available for rent - we watched it last night.
It is disjointed, confusing at times, dazzling and bad.
Just bad.
For the first time perhaps ever, I will say Tom Hanks was the wrong actor to play Col Parker. The makeup was bad, bad enough it constantly announced itself scene after scene. A better choice would have been Dan Akroyd who, I believe, could have played the cheesiness of Col Parker that Hanks just didn't hit.
The stylistic scenes that were thrown in, did not belong. Two rap songs were played. Really?? Rap songs? It didn't fit. Modern music placed in late 1950s scenery is wrong. All the music you had to choose from - and the producer chose Rap??
The scene with Little Richard. Obviously tried to make him fit the modern trans person. He was not. Little Richard was one "out there" dude. No doubt. He was all over the place. But he was not trans. He did not look like a skinny little girl/boy on stage. He wore suits and ties and if anything was overtly masculine in his early years. It wasn't until the 1970s that, like other performers, started wearing flamboyant costumes and crossing sexual lines. If he would have acted like this ridiculous portrayal in 1959 - he would have probably been found beat to death behind the joint.
All in all I was seriously disappointed.
The Elvis story, without embellishments, is interesting enough. A man with enormous talents surrounded by people who tricked/abused and used him. Indeed, there are really only two people in his entire life that didn't use him for money. Priscilla and his mother. And the former he took for granted and abandoned, only to deeply-deeply regret losing her.
This movie is not an Elvis story. It is a fantasy piece kinda sorta surrounding real events.

Skip it. If you were hoping finally for a decent movie about Elvis - you won't find it here.
Yes the rapid fast montage fails to work

Forum List

Back