Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
It makes me wonder if many conservatives are pro capital punishment because they feel they have to be because they're conservative. Know what I mean?

Sure most are for punishing pre-meditated murderers after due process soley to be one of the kewl conservative kids.

I wouldn't have phrased it like that, but yes, basically. It seems like, if someone wants to be "right leaning" they have to believe in capital punishment. I wonder if they same would hold true for abortion and gun control.

I really think the common thread that binds and perhaps you miss is a foundation based on defending one's self, employing an eye for an eye and a life of sacrifice raising successful children, not killing them for lack of sexual responsibility.

The death penalty is an archaic custom

The US is one of the few nations on earth to still use it.

Muslim extremists, the US, China and India are the remaining few

Your information appears dubious. Even Wiki provides clearer information.

2010 - The following 23 countries carried out executions in 2010: Bahrain (1), Bangladesh (9+), Belarus (2), Botswana (1), China (2000+), Egypt (4), Equatorial Guinea (4), Iran (252+), Iraq (1+), Japan (2), Libya (18+), Malaysia (1+), North Korea (60+), Palestinian Authority (5), Saudi Arabia (27+), Singapore (1+), Somalia (8+), Sudan (6+), Syria (17+), Taiwan (4), USA (46+), Vietnam (1+), Yemen (53+).[2]

2011 - As of 5 May 2011 executions have been reported in the following 9 countries during 2011: Bangladesh, China, Iran, North Korea, the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, UAE, USA.
Use of capital punishment by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It makes me wonder if many conservatives are pro capital punishment because they feel they have to be because they're conservative. Know what I mean?

Sure most are for punishing pre-meditated murderers after due process soley to be one of the kewl conservative kids.

I wouldn't have phrased it like that, but yes, basically. It seems like, if someone wants to be "right leaning" they have to believe in capital punishment. I wonder if they same would hold true for abortion and gun control.
Why do you presume that ideology follows politics?
I believe in capitol punishment, I am pro-life and support 2nd amendment rights. These values are why I am Conservative. I did not decide to register as a member of the GOP and bend my morality to fit. The GOP fit my morality.

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.

Majority happened BEFORE DNA.
And it's not our government that decides on the execution. It the Jurors that decide...people like you and me.

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

Most courts that hand down such rulings are local or State Courts. I trust Local Government a hell of a lot more than the Federal Government.

I've been working in local politics for the last 6 years, and I can tell you for certain that "Local Government" is at least as corrupt and incompetent as the Federal Government, but that's not even my point.

My point is people are fallible. They make mistakes. Juries vote the wrong way sometimes. Sometimes public defenders barely speak english. There are too many factors that could go wrong - and there's no way to say "sorry, we fucked up" to someone after you've already killed them.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.

And it's not our government that decides on the execution. It the Jurors that decide...people like you and me.

As I said earlier in the thread, I trust 12 random people who were too stupid to get out of Jury Duty even less than I trust the Government.

As I said earlier in the thread, I trust 12 random people who were too stupid to get out of Jury Duty even less than I trust the Government.

It's not easy to get out of Jury duty...especially Federal Court. Have you tried???

It's not easy to get out of Jury duty...especially Federal Court. Have you tried???

Yes. It's very easy. If you even make it far enough that you're in the jury pool, just make yourself problematic. Pretend to be a racist. There are plenty of ways.

Yes destroy right to trial by jury.

Trial by Obamaianic Counsel of Elders

A trial by jury is a necessary evil - it's the best option available. Doesn't mean I think that they should have the power to kill.

And what was your point bringing some made-up word about Obama into this?

Yes. It's very easy. If you even make it far enough that you're in the jury pool, just make yourself problematic. Pretend to be a racist. There are plenty of ways.

Just shows you there actually are some honest people out there. Not everyone lies....

Just shows you there actually are some honest people out there. Not everyone lies....

No, everyone lies.

Every single human being lies, sometimes.

You're still not getting my point, though. I don't care about who the jury is - the only way that I'd be comfortable with punishing someone with death would be if I did it myself, made the decision myself, and accepted responsibility for it myself (as in, went to jail for it), which as far as I can say right now, would only happen if someone hurt my family.

I don't trust anyone 100% to make the right decision every time, and there's no "backsies" when it comes to the death penalty.

One mistake is enough to not trust the system, and there have been plenty more than one.

No, everyone lies.

You're still not getting my point, though. I don't care about who the jury is - the only way that I'd be comfortable with punishing someone with death would be if I did it myself, made the decision myself, and accepted responsibility for it myself (as in, went to jail for it), which as far as I can say right now, would only happen if someone hurt my family.

I don't trust anyone 100% to make the right decision every time, and there's no "backsies" when it comes to the death penalty.

One mistake is enough to not trust the system, and there have been plenty more than one.

So how else is it done? If there were a better, safer, more humane way to handle this, it would happen. Nothing is fair....Murderers go free all the time (Simpson, Anthony, etc), over "circumstantial evidence". All humans make mistakes, if a person gets charged with 1st degree murder, there has to be some evidence that puts that person in the spot their in. Somehow that person isn't telling the whole truth and turning in whoever is really at fault, or they did it themselves. If they want to cover for someone else, then i guess they deserve what they get.

No, everyone lies.

So how else is it done? If there were a better, safer, more humane way to handle this, it would happen. Nothing is fair....Murderers go free all the time (Simpson, Anthony, etc), over "circumstantial evidence". All humans make mistakes, if a person gets charged with 1st degree murder, there has to be some evidence that puts that person in the spot their in. Somehow that person isn't telling the whole truth and turning in whoever is really at fault, or they did it themselves. If they want to cover for someone else, then i guess they deserve what they get.

I don't have a better way, so I guess we're stuck with what we've got. But killing someone is not something to be taken lightly - there's no way to fix the "error".

Throw them in jail for the rest of their lives - that way, if something comes out later to exonerate them, they'll be let free.

72% of those right leaning are for capital punishment
53% of those left leaning are anti capital punishment

or if you want

40% of those left leaning are pro capital punishment
19.4% of those right leaning are anti capital punishment

This poll is showing some interesting trends.

or if you want...

64% of all polled are pro capital punishment.

True. I was thinking of it more in how people on either side are falling in line with the stereotype of that side. For example, right now, 74% of those claiming to be right leaning are also pro capital punishment. But, only 53% of those claiming to be left leaning fit the stereotype and are anti capital punishment.

It gets even more interesting when you look at the flip side. 35% of those left leaning buck the stereotype and are pro capital punishment, while only 18% of those right leaning buck the trend on the other side.

Oh yeah, I knew where you were going when you mentioned it posts ago.

*thumbs up*

No, everyone lies.

I don't have a better way, so I guess we're stuck with what we've got. But killing someone is not something to be taken lightly - there's no way to fix the "error".

Throw them in jail for the rest of their lives - that way, if something comes out later to exonerate them, they'll be let free.

I do agree with you on that....it shouldn't be taken lightly. Also, i believe if there's going to be a death penalty, there has to be a body.

But i still think if a person is covering for someone, then they must not care whether they live or die. If it's not that they're covering for someone, and the evidence goes only to that person, then if the jurors decide guilty, that's what it is.

I am shocked that 6 out of 9 of those were in Texas.

And by "shocked" I mean "not at all shocked".
remember texas has the 2nd largest population in the US
kindy makes the stats more comparable

Since 1982, the State of Texas has executed 474 people.
Since 1974, the United States has executed a total of 1,267.

Texas has executed 37% of the total number of people executed in this country, with a population that is about 8% of the United States.

How's that for "statistics"?

Texas executed that many bout time the other states caught up

If capital punishment actually serves as a deterent, why isn't The People's Republic of Texas one of the safest places on the planet?

And this is the reason I have gone from being pro-death penalty to very tentative as to whether or not it should be used. I would be for it in cases like Charles Manson or OBL but it has to be the most heinous of crimes.

Immie

Charles Manson was sentenced to death. However, when the Supreme Court abolished it in the 70s, his sentence was commuted to some number of years with possibility of parole. He actually comes up for parole every 7 years or so. None of the Manson Family members tried for the Tate murders have ever been released - not even Leslie Van Houten who has lived an exemplary life behind bars.

However, Texas did parole Kenneth McDuff who had been sentenced to death for the torture-rape-murder of two women. He went out and murdered two more women the same way. Goes a long way in explaining Texans big thing with the death penalty. Actually I think they should have sentenced the members of the Parole Board who freed McDuff to death. In some ways they're almost just as responsible.

Forum List

Back