Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
I'm ambivalent and right-leaning. The reason is because too many people are railroaded in by two collaborating witnesses and their supporters who may have committed the crime themselves. In Illinois, there is a "Project Innocence" that found that 11 prisoners on death row in Illinois did not commit the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. It caused a governor to suspend the death penalty in his state until he fulfilled his term.

When I first learned of the Innocence Project, I became anti-death penalty, but as time wore on, I saw that there are some who should never, never be allowed to see daylight again. This would happen in the event of a natural catastrophe such as a flood or earthquake on prison grounds. The evacuation could result in the escape of a serial killer who would just continue his crime. Maybe the public would be served if this type of criminal was disabled from hurting others for good.

The Innocence Project

The problem with your hypothetical is that it hasn't happened - whereas hundreds of innocent people have been executed unjustly.

The odds of someone escaping a SuperMax facility are lower than the odds of a lethal injection not working.
The trouble with your analysis is that there wasn't one made by you.

Here's one who escaped while being transported.

Here are 450 who escaped through a tunnel. 100 of them were Taliban commanders

4,000 prisoners escaped in Haiti in the hurricane/tsunami that hit there in 2010

A Mass Murderer Escapes from Jail

In the Afghanistan break, a number of those people may have made it to this country, where they would likely go underground as part of a cell of our nation's most dangerous enemies.

Haiti is not that far from our country either.

The mass murderer who escaped in Srikakulam likely would have left his country and gone someplace else, too.

There goes your theory that nothing can go wrong that could bring a mass murderer into the population of our nation.

Even so, theDoctorsIn, I respect your opinion. I'm still maintaining my ambivalent attitude because I just don't trust the system, and I don't trust the criminally incarcerated mass murderers who eluded authorities sometimes for 3 or 4 decades. Their lives are built around elusive maneuvers including moving every 3 or 4 hours, days, or months, never more than a year anywhere, disappearing as quietly as the day they arrived in someone's community, doing who know how many repeat crimes.

WADR, Becki, you asked for facts to support Doc's claim but you responded with supposition and links to stories that have nothing to do with SuperMax facilities.

:cool:

The problem with your hypothetical is that it hasn't happened - whereas hundreds of innocent people have been executed unjustly.

The odds of someone escaping a SuperMax facility are lower than the odds of a lethal injection not working.
The trouble with your analysis is that there wasn't one made by you.

Here's one who escaped while being transported.

Here are 450 who escaped through a tunnel. 100 of them were Taliban commanders

4,000 prisoners escaped in Haiti in the hurricane/tsunami that hit there in 2010

A Mass Murderer Escapes from Jail

In the Afghanistan break, a number of those people may have made it to this country, where they would likely go underground as part of a cell of our nation's most dangerous enemies.

Haiti is not that far from our country either.

The mass murderer who escaped in Srikakulam likely would have left his country and gone someplace else, too.

There goes your theory that nothing can go wrong that could bring a mass murderer into the population of our nation.

Even so, theDoctorsIn, I respect your opinion. I'm still maintaining my ambivalent attitude because I just don't trust the system, and I don't trust the criminally incarcerated mass murderers who eluded authorities sometimes for 3 or 4 decades. Their lives are built around elusive maneuvers including moving every 3 or 4 hours, days, or months, never more than a year anywhere, disappearing as quietly as the day they arrived in someone's community, doing who know how many repeat crimes.

WADR, Becki, you asked for facts to support Doc's claim but you responded with supposition and links to stories that have nothing to do with SuperMax facilities.

:cool:
Yes sir, no excuses sir. :redface:

Death penalty all the way. I can go right or left... but lean toward the right.

I'm only for it in cases of overwhelming evidence. I think if there is doubt--especially that arises from evidence that was not originally brought up in trial--I don't think the state can execute.

Since I support it in only an extremely narrow instances, I don't feel comfortable voting for it in this thread. So, I will vote on September 19th after the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles votes on Troy Davis's life. If it votes for execution, I will vote against the death penalty in this thread.

iheader2.jpg

In the case of a sure thing, especially with a person that does extra heinous crimes like rape and murder of children, I think they should spend the rest of their lives in a prison's general population with that population knowing in great detail what the skum bag did to a kid, the other prisoners would take him out in a very bad way. Getting put to sleep is what a loving friend does to a favorite dog, someone that rapes and kills an innocent child should suffer and die ugly.

I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

This is my problem also. Just too many questions in too many cases for me to be comfortable with some previous executions.

I see a lot of people making statements like "in certain crimes there should be the death penalty."

That is emotionalism. Plain and simple.

Now I believe that a crime can and should be punishable by death in the instance of a wilfull, malicious and unessary killing. As in...eye for an eye. Some people just need to be put down.

With that said, I believe that the justice system is not currently fair. There have been too many innocent people on death row. Therefore, I have to stand on the side of anti-death penalty. Although, personally, I believe certain crimes deserve death. I guess I joined the ranks of those saying "certain crimes." However, I qualified it. Death for death. Not death for rape, theft, assault, etc.

Oh yeah....I'm left leaning.

Wondering how much death penalty opinions align with general party affiliation.

My first poll. Hope this works.

Good poll. I am tied ( and one-half opposite ) with "right-leaning anti-capital punishment." Whoops, just checked again and am in the lead...
I'm ambivalent and right-leaning. The reason is because too many people are railroaded in by two collaborating witnesses and their supporters who may have committed the crime themselves. In Illinois, there is a "Project Innocence" that found that 11 prisoners on death row in Illinois did not commit the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. It caused a governor to suspend the death penalty in his state until he fulfilled his term.

When I first learned of the Innocence Project, I became anti-death penalty, but as time wore on, I saw that there are some who should never, never be allowed to see daylight again. This would happen in the event of a natural catastrophe such as a flood or earthquake on prison grounds. The evacuation could result in the escape of a serial killer who would just continue his crime. Maybe the public would be served if this type of criminal was disabled from hurting others for good.

The Innocence Project

The problem with the "innocence project" in IL is that they sometimes get guilty people out of prison.

For instance, one of the fine citizens they got off death row was a man named Anthony Porter. They got another guy to cop to the crime. But now that guy is recanting his confession and other witnesses have come forward to say Porter was the guy.

Was a Convicted Murderer Wrongfully Released from Death Row? - ABC News

Good poll. I am tied ( and one-half opposite ) with "right-leaning anti-capital punishment." Whoops, just checked again and am in the lead...

The Innocence Project

The problem with the "innocence project" in IL is that they sometimes get guilty people out of prison.

For instance, one of the fine citizens they got off death row was a man named Anthony Porter. They got another guy to cop to the crime. But now that guy is recanting his confession and other witnesses have come forward to say Porter was the guy.

It is more dangerous that even a guilty person should be punished without the forms of law than that he should escape.
Thomas Jefferson

Against the death penalty.

Our judical system was made by man and therefore is rife with the mistakes of man.

Jail is to punish and keep those out of society that have proven they can not or will not conform to the rules of our society. We as a society are just as safe with a killer in jail for the rest of their lives. Killing them does not make us any safer.

The Innocence Project

It is more dangerous that even a guilty person should be punished without the forms of law than that he should escape.
Thomas Jefferson

and if Porter should kill someone else, you are good with that?

Not seeing what that has to do with my point. My point is that usually these supposed "innocent" people aren't innocent at all. They just wear down the system until it spits them out.

And usually, they are serial life long dirtbags who go on to offend again, anyway. A couple of the folks Governor Ryan let out are already back in prison.

Thomas Jefferson

and if Porter should kill someone else, you are good with that?

Not seeing what that has to do with my point. My point is that usually these supposed "innocent" people aren't innocent at all. They just wear down the system until it spits them out.

And usually, they are serial life long dirtbags who go on to offend again, anyway. A couple of the folks Governor Ryan let out are already back in prison.

Then lets lock everybody up that looks guilty.

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Works for me.

You usually know who the career criminals are going to be by the time they're five, anyway.

The bad kids I grew up with, the ones who beat up other kids, were always down to the Principal's office became COPS...

Hmmmm, capital punishment issue aside, 70% of respondents describe themselves as "Right-leaning." :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back