California's primary election system is highly flawed

I don't think you understand it...

There is a 1st vote that everyone votes in and the top two (as long as no one gets above 50%) go into a run off regardless of there party affiliation.... Actually most of the fighting is within the party to be the number one from there party... Anyone can vote for anyone in the first vote...

If it happens that the top two are from the same party it doesn't matter... The 2nd vote is between them... In fairness if the top two are from one party they are going to win the seat anyway... What it allows for is Libertarian candidates in deep red to get on the ballot and possibly beat a GOP candidate. In deep blue it could be moderate v progressive...

But the people choose the final two, not a close caus or primary... Generally Parties hate this as doesn't allow them to pick candidates and give the voter only one choice... In the first vote they can vote for who they like knowing that they most likely will still have a vote for the final choice in the second vote.

Yes, there will be places where GOP can't get into the top two and places where Dems can't... This means they lost the election... You have to get the votes to get into the top two...Parties don't like this because it reduces there control.

Personally I prefer straight out preference voting which is done in one vote... This allows the voter to vote by preference, 1, 2, 3,... down the ballot, this means I pick and choose the candidate by preference... If they get eliminated then my vote would transferred to the next viable candidate(this is also called the Single Transfer Vote).. That way I can vote for who I want and not trying to protect against who I don't want...
I totally understand. If there are three candidates in the primaries, two democrats getting 34% of the vote and one Republican getting 32% of the vote they have a runoff in the general of the two democrats, even though if we had the regular system, the Republican could have won the general election but has no chance to win with the California system because the person who could have won isn't even allowed to run. With one system the Republican could have won. With the other system, they are denied to even be in the election. I also understand that if a red state did this, democrats would be screaming bloody murder and vote suppression.

Forum List

Back