Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Someone left this message for me in a rep: "Very few have been innocent. You may want to do some research.."

My question for them was what would be an acceptable number? And what if their child was one of the "very few"?

So, to anyone else .... what if you were the person at the wrong place at the wrong time? What if it was your kid, who maybe was totally innocent - or maybe got in with the wrong people like a drug dealer or something but nothing close to murder - and then the circumstantial evidence and/or jailhouse testimonies started stacking up ...... If you're a death penalty supporter now, would you change your tune if it was you who knew you were innocent or if it was you who believed your child was innocent ... or if not innocent at least not a completely lost cause .....

If you would defend the life of your family by an intruder when attacked your are for the death penalty. The question is will you extend the same justice to your neighbor who was not home when the attack took place. Tall Tree, Short Rope

Most of the world has given up on the death penalty. It is considered an archaic practice . Much like the US was one of the last countries to give up on slavery, we are one of the last to give up the death penalty

Someone left this message for me in a rep: "Very few have been innocent. You may want to do some research.."

My question for them was what would be an acceptable number? And what if their child was one of the "very few"?

So, to anyone else .... what if you were the person at the wrong place at the wrong time? What if it was your kid, who maybe was totally innocent - or maybe got in with the wrong people like a drug dealer or something but nothing close to murder - and then the circumstantial evidence and/or jailhouse testimonies started stacking up ...... If you're a death penalty supporter now, would you change your tune if it was you who knew you were innocent or if it was you who believed your child was innocent ... or if not innocent at least not a completely lost cause .....

Sorry, that post was closer to an attempt at persuasion than I intended to make when I started this thread. I only wanted to see how much people lined up with what might generally be expected. Not try to convince anyone they were right or wrong.

The post I just made was truly an afterthought based on the rep comment.

Last edited:
If you would defend the life of your family by an intruder when attacked your are for the death penalty. The question is will you extend the same justice to your neighbor who was not home when the attack took place. Tall Tree, Short Rope

You want the death penalty for breaking and entering when no one is home?

remember texas has the 2nd largest population in the US
kindy makes the stats more comparable

Since 1982, the State of Texas has executed 474 people.
Since 1974, the United States has executed a total of 1,267.

Texas has executed 37% of the total number of people executed in this country, with a population that is about 8% of the United States.

How's that for "statistics"?

Texas executed that many bout time the other states caught up
lesson to be learnt here DONT FUCK WITH TEXAS

I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

You are not alone,we have 2 major social blights,capital punishment is one of them.

Its been proven to be really arbitrary in its use,and we make a huge mockery of the whole thing,whats with swabbing the injection sight with alcohol?? you are just moments from killing the person,yet we swab their arms,it's disgusting.

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.

Its an old quote not sure who said it"Its better to let a 1000 guilty go then convict 1 innocent".

Capital punishment is way beyond our pay grade.

Since 1982, the State of Texas has executed 474 people.
Since 1974, the United States has executed a total of 1,267.

Texas has executed 37% of the total number of people executed in this country, with a population that is about 8% of the United States.

How's that for "statistics"?

Texas executed that many bout time the other states caught up
lesson to be learnt here DONT FUCK WITH TEXAS

Texas still has not reduced its murder rate

that articule says * possibly * you said FACT .... this articule has some *facts * inserted into the mix by activist attorneys to plant some doubt thats their objective

"Possibly" is enough for me. But are you really trying to claim that we've never executed an innocent man?

We most certainly have,how many have been found innocent and released from death row,more than one person statistically says that we have executed a lot more than we will ever know.

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.

Well you want perfection, it's not. As for the innocent being caught excuse. What about the innocent people killed by these criminals?
Like this Jodi chick, she should be hung tommorrow, we already went through a trial. And I'll toss this in, if the prosecutor (like the douche in the Duke lacross case) knowingly prosecutes or falsifies evidence, they should be given the same punishment.

I'm for the death penalty in the case of heinous crimes.

But the bar should be raised from reasonable doubt to beyond all doubt in the sentencing stage.

yes. i am for it for certain crimes, but only if there is no element of doubt in guilt.

Well you want perfection, it's not. As for the innocent being caught excuse. What about the innocent people killed by these criminals?
Like this Jodi chick, she should be hung tommorrow, we already went through a trial. And I'll toss this in, if the prosecutor (like the douche in the Duke lacross case) knowingly prosecutes or falsifies evidence, they should be given the same punishment.

What?? your reference to people killed has no logical connection to executing another innocent person

In clarification 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Problem is

I am not sure If I lean left or right!

I am for capital punishment--but I want the person I punish to be guilty of a grievous crime and the proof of his guilt so evident that the insane and the stupid have to admit he is guilty.

Pretty tall order, I know. But there are people that fit that description without question. Hey, we even picked up a couple very recently--the Boston marathon bomber and that kidnapper in Cleveland.

Come on--even if you are against the death penalty, deep down you want something tragically heinous to happen to them!!

Are you willing to say that to an innocent person strapped to the gurney moments from death?? Or their family??

I am betting you wouldn't

Most of the world no longer uses the death penalty
Most of the US no longer uses the death penalty

Time to enter the 21st century and leave the death penalty to Islamic states, China and North Korea

Problem is

I am not sure If I lean left or right!

I am for capital punishment--but I want the person I punish to be guilty of a grievous crime and the proof of his guilt so evident that the insane and the stupid have to admit he is guilty.

Pretty tall order, I know. But there are people that fit that description without question. Hey, we even picked up a couple very recently--the Boston marathon bomber and that kidnapper in Cleveland.

Come on--even if you are against the death penalty, deep down you want something tragically heinous to happen to them!![/QUO

The French had devils island,I could sigh on to that,but for the really bad ones,drop them off with some fish hooks, line and some vegetable seed let them run it themselves

Forum List

Back