California's primary election system is highly flawed

In most states, Super Tuesday is all about selecting the top Democrat and the leading Republican for a November matchup.

Not in California. Under the state’s top-two primary system, the first and second place finishers advance, regardless of their party affiliation — a system voters enacted over a decade ago, over the strenuous objections of both parties.

In a few critical races, candidates are striving to avoid a same-party top two. Lockout fears loom in competitive seats, where too many challengers threaten to fracture the vote. For candidates in safe seats, getting an opposite-party opponent would be a victory that effectively ends the contest in March.

Comment:
This means that CA could have two Democrats running against each other in the general election.
It means that a Democrat would always win the election.
How is this "democracy"?
How is this competitive?
How is this fair?
This is a one-party government system like in Cuba, North Korea, China, Venezuela...... Ukraine.
It is a far more modern system (if not perfect)

It is a run off system..

You have an election and the top two candidates goto a run off if one hasn't got 50%+...

There is nothing that says they have to be from different parties, thats bullshit... Voters decide, not parties...

You want the GOP to have a god given right to be on the ballot... Sorry doesn't work that way...
BTW, if this was in a heavily conservative area it is possible there would be no Democrat on either..

Can you imagine all the shit that would fly from the left if dark red states instituted the very same system whereby no democrat would even be in the general election? They scream gerrymandering now in red states but the California system is the apex of gerrymandering. The left would be screaming vote suppression at the top of their lungs and that red states would be taking democracy away.
No... This is a simple run off systemmm

Get your brains out of a the two party system...

In the deep red area it might be GOP candidate v Libertarian Candidate.... If they are the top two...

This is actually far more representative that the FPTP...

Taz,

They can't take there heads out of the two party system...

In heavily Red areas it could end up GOP v Libertarian...

In heavily Blue it could be Moderate v Progressive...

This gives far more choice to the electorate... In the first vote they taking it down to two and having a run off...
This exactly like how the President of France is picked...

I prefer preference voting but this is better than First PAst the Post.

No... This is a simple run off systemmm

Get your brains out of a the two party system...

In the deep red area it might be GOP candidate v Libertarian Candidate.... If they are the top two...

This is actually far more representative that the FPTP...
The "simple run off system" stops people from being able to vote for anything different than just one party in the general election. If deep red states did the very same thing, not allowing any democrats in the general election, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs and not saying it is a "simple run off system". You would be screaming vote suppression.

The "simple run off system" stops people from being able to vote for anything different than just one party in the general election. If deep red states did the very same thing, not allowing any democrats in the general election, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs and not saying it is a "simple run off system". You would be screaming vote suppression.

Louisiana has the same system.

Nope...

I have already stated in a Deep Red state let it be a GOP v Libertarian OR GOP v MAGA....

I have no pretence that they are going to vote for a Democrat, so they might as well get what they want... It is called Democracy

Louisiana has the same system.
I just don't think they are getting this whole democracy thing....

They think GOP has a God given right to be on every ballot... Truth is neither party does...

Think of this from a third party level... This is how bad they are...

In Louisana there are areas that this could be GOP v Libertarian or GOP v Independent... They don't want that...

They would be in shock in Europe with 7+ parties to choose from and preference voting in play...
This was the voting results from my area in the last election in Ireland..

this is a 5 seater (i.e. there was 5 seats in parliament available for this area), think of it like 5 members of congress from one area.

1709743563445.png

Yes that is 15 candidates from 7 parties, 4 independents...

The result was one from Fianna Fail, 2 Independents, one Sinn Fein and 2 Fine Gael...

I think I voted 1st Ollie Crowe, 2nd Eamon O'Cuiv, 3rd Niall O'Tuathall. 4th Noel Grealish...

my vote would have gone to Ollie first, but after 7th count Ollie was eliminated and it was transferred to Eamon O'Cuiv...

Nope...

I have already stated in a Deep Red state let it be a GOP v Libertarian OR GOP v MAGA....

I have no pretence that they are going to vote for a Democrat, so they might as well get what they want... It is called Democracy
You have a short memory. States change. The South used to be owned by the Democrats, now it is owned by Republicans. If you are for this system then you should also be for gerrymandering, letting one party control the votes in the future. Electorates do change in states, if you have a system in place which lets them. The swing states of today are not the same as the swing states from 20 years ago.

You have a short memory. States change. The South used to be owned by the Democrats, now it is owned by Republicans. If you are for this system then you should also be for gerrymandering, letting one party control the votes in the future. Electorates do change in states, if you have a system in place which lets them. The swing states of today are not the same as the swing states from 20 years ago.
I don't think you get it...

This is a run off system... It just takes the top two from first poll and puts them head to head...

You are the one saying that one has to be from the GOP....

Here is the French election
Here are the Candidates
1709747154888.png

This is the first round

1709747119620.png

Macron and Le Pen gets through to the second and final round

1709747252673.png

1709747288354.png

Macron wins second round and France doesn't a racist bitch as President...

We were talking apples but now you have switched the conversation to oranges. What qualifications do you think there should be to get on the ballot?
You still haven't told us what wrong with run off elections except a GOP is not guaranteed a spot in the run off... Are you that stuck on 2 party politics...

I don't think you get it...

This is a run off system... It just takes the top two from first poll and puts them head to head...

You are the one saying that one has to be from the GOP....

Here is the French election
Here are the Candidates
View attachment 913100
This is the first round

View attachment 913099

Macron and Le Pen gets through to the second and final round

View attachment 913102

View attachment 913103

Macron wins second round and France doesn't a racist bitch as President...
The way it should work is that we have one party running against another party or parties, not a democrat running against a democrat where only a democrat can win. This takes democracy away. I thought you guys were for democracy.

The way it should work is that we have one party running against another party or parties, not a democrat running against a democrat where only a democrat can win.
So you want to get rid of candidates and just vote for parties...

How do think that makes it more democratic?

I don't think you get that we vote for candidates not parties... There would need to be some major changes to the constitution...

So we vote for a party and the party will tell us who they have selected afterwards....

I am loosing you here, explain how this is more democratic again...

So you want to get rid of candidates and just vote for parties...

How do think that makes it more democratic?

I don't think you get that we vote for candidates not parties... There would need to be some major changes to the constitution...

So we vote for a party and the party will tell us who they have selected afterwards....

I am loosing you here, explain how this is more democratic again...
LOL. Your are the one advocating for just one party to vote on!

LOL. Your are the one advocating for just one party to vote on!
I am not...

I am saying the electorate selects the two top candidates and I don't care what party they are from..

By the way, two candidates who are Democrats competing is a far better choice for an area that would be voting 66%+ Democrat....

To shut out GOP Democrats have to have over 66% of the vote and then be evenly divided...

I am not...

I am saying the electorate selects the two top candidates and I don't care what party they are from..

By the way, two candidates who are Democrats competing is a far better choice for an area that would be voting 66%+ Democrat....

To shut out GOP Democrats have to have over 66% of the vote and then be evenly divided...
And if you get a deep red state or a deep blue state, in the general election, you will only be given a choice of one party rule. It is the general election which counts, not the primaries. If there is only one party you can vote for in the general, you are taking democracy away. Democrats would be quick to point out that this is taking democracy away and vote suppression, unless of course it happens in a blue state, in which thee deflect with nonsense.

Most of you are Adding TO the distrust of our system of government, Saying anything not wanted by your Trump only party is dishonest. we are killing our country with this PARTY OVER COUNTRY. No political party is perfect. That is why we are suppose to have balance of power.

And if you get a deep red state or a deep blue state, in the general election, you will only be given a choice of one party rule. It is the general election which counts, not the primaries. If there is only one party you can vote for in the general, you are taking democracy away. Democrats would be quick to point out that this is taking democracy away and vote suppression, unless of course it happens in a blue state, in which thee deflect with nonsense.
I don't think you understand it...

There is a 1st vote that everyone votes in and the top two (as long as no one gets above 50%) go into a run off regardless of there party affiliation.... Actually most of the fighting is within the party to be the number one from there party... Anyone can vote for anyone in the first vote...

If it happens that the top two are from the same party it doesn't matter... The 2nd vote is between them... In fairness if the top two are from one party they are going to win the seat anyway... What it allows for is Libertarian candidates in deep red to get on the ballot and possibly beat a GOP candidate. In deep blue it could be moderate v progressive...

But the people choose the final two, not a close caus or primary... Generally Parties hate this as doesn't allow them to pick candidates and give the voter only one choice... In the first vote they can vote for who they like knowing that they most likely will still have a vote for the final choice in the second vote.

Yes, there will be places where GOP can't get into the top two and places where Dems can't... This means they lost the election... You have to get the votes to get into the top two...Parties don't like this because it reduces there control.

Personally I prefer straight out preference voting which is done in one vote... This allows the voter to vote by preference, 1, 2, 3,... down the ballot, this means I pick and choose the candidate by preference... If they get eliminated then my vote would transferred to the next viable candidate(this is also called the Single Transfer Vote).. That way I can vote for who I want and not trying to protect against who I don't want...

Forum List

Back