Dear Poor; What is Keeping You Poor?

People are poor because they make choices and decisions that keep them poor. They work for the next day off, vacation, retirement. They work at the job they have not at the job they want. If a poor person wanted to be CEO, there's nothing to stop them. A poor person will never take an extra step knowing they won't be paid for it. They watch that clock like hawks. One minute more tidying up their work station and it's towering resentment. Call the shop steward, I'm a slave.

There is a mind set to being poor. A personality trait. Likely they developed this personality from the very earliest childhood from parents who were poor themselves.

Wrong. Many people are poor because the economy they live in doesn't have enough to go around.
Yep. That or they lost their job, were unable to find one, and were blacklisted for being unemployed for too long. Which seems to be the trend for the higher paid jobs these days.
If you have a job and are not preparing for your next job it is your own fault. There is plenty to go around. You just aren't worth what there is going around.
To have that attitude you had to have either never lost a job in your life, or got all your jobs handed to you.

Yes and no.

My bf makes the same arguments and
he's lost jobs, some he did or did not see coming with all the conflicts and mgmt issues, so he was somewhat prepared.
and because of his good rep and ethics as a positive productive person, he had contacts willing to hire him.

He just didn't waste time fighting or whining, but invested in what is going to help.

I've had jobs thrust at me that were more than I could handle.
That's like the opposite problem, in a way.

We all want better than some of the things we end up with.
The difference is if you spend more time taking responsibility or blaming others.

The type that tend to get hired and entrusted are the type who take responsibility.

The problem with me is that because I am so big on personal responsibility,
more is being put on me than I can handle. People who don't trust other people
want to depend on me.

So it still causes problems when other people don't take responsibility.
Creates more work for the people who are taking that on. Still out of balance.

Dear Poor; What is Keeping You Poor?

Considering that there are 4.8 millions jobs available, I'm guessing that for Republicans, it must be the lack of education.

. . . If you have a job and are not preparing for your next job it is your own fault. There is plenty to go around. You just aren't worth what there is going around. . . .I've had jobs thrust at me that were more than I could handle. That's like the opposite problem said:
The type that tend to get hired and entrusted are the type who take responsibility.[/U]

want to depend on me.

YES, an excellent description! Unfortunately most people just never learn that. It is very difficult to perform something you never see or admit.

Lack of responsibility also causes a lot of divorce.

marvin

Every single day I see poor people flood political forums (not just this one) absolutely outraged that they aren't making more money than they are...............

Poor people statistically aren't very educated and they ask their boss for the hard work I guarantee they do and their CEO probably tells them, "You know what, we can't afford raises because the government is breathing down our backs taking all our money"

Then the lower educated poor people get on forums sure that they can't get ahead because of Government.

Since they aren't very well educated they missed that turning point when CEO's became the position of turning down raises. American CEO's know almost nothing about the product yet they have a swag when they turn you down for a raise for working hard.

Current CEO's turn down raises on a massive scale and in return, are getting EXTREME wages. If you turn down 100% of the workers asking for raises and save the Corporation $500k that year, The owner will have no trouble giving that CEO (a single person) a $250k bonus that year.

And there you have it.
I never asked for a raise in my life, why should I? If I want more money either they will give it to me on merrits alone or I will get another job, they know this .

Always be worth more than you get. Never be afraid to work for free. Work at every job you have as if it were two jobs. The one you have and the one you will advance to. Never "graduate" school. A degree just means you move on to something else. Education never stops. Learn a trade or two just for fun.

Now you will never have to worry about being unemployed.

In my case, owning my own shops (2), managing other retail shops, etc...I couldn't even get a job at Taco Bell wiping tables. I was "over qualified". Um. I want to be able to pay my rent, my utilities, keep gas in the car, not ask for foodstamps. Over qualified my ass. GIVE ME A JOB...AND I WILL DO IT WELL. But, it fell on deaf ears. "You would leave us when you find something better"...Me: "There is nothing 'better' out there. Times are tough. I need work. Give me a job and I will remember YOU gave me a chance and stay with you". I got the old "We will keep your application on file" and never heard a peep from them.

Plus...my competition was college students. Same pay, but younger, blonder, more giggly, needing help counting back change but PRETTIER. Nobody wanted someone with brains and strength and loyalty.

Always be worth more than you get. Never be afraid to work for free. Work at every job you have as if it were two jobs. The one you have and the one you will advance to. Never "graduate" school. A degree just means you move on to something else. Education never stops. Learn a trade or two just for fun.

Now you will never have to worry about being unemployed.
I usually agree with all you post...except in this subject.

"never be afraid to work for free"... only a moron does that. Hard to pay your bills that way. You pretend to pay me I pretend to work.

In some of the jobs I applied for, I offered to work 2 days free...so they could see what they are getting. Even that didn't sway them.

Every single day I see poor people flood political forums (not just this one) absolutely outraged that they aren't making more money than they are...............

Poor people statistically aren't very educated and they ask their boss for the hard work I guarantee they do and their CEO probably tells them, "You know what, we can't afford raises because the government is breathing down our backs taking all our money"

Then the lower educated poor people get on forums sure that they can't get ahead because of Government.

Since they aren't very well educated they missed that turning point when CEO's became the position of turning down raises. American CEO's know almost nothing about the product yet they have a swag when they turn you down for a raise for working hard.

Current CEO's turn down raises on a massive scale and in return, are getting EXTREME wages. If you turn down 100% of the workers asking for raises and save the Corporation $500k that year, The owner will have no trouble giving that CEO (a single person) a $250k bonus that year.

And there you have it.
You blame poor people. But what is their fault??
We have such a statistics:
Around 13-19% American population lives below the federal poverty line. The US government does not have an absolute definition for poverty, but it describes the same phenomenon as relative poverty, that is, how income relates to median income. The number of people living under poverty line is increasing at an alarming rate.
Over 48 million Americans live in poverty, according to a special report by the Census Bureau Thursday. It provides an alternative look at the worst off people in the nation than the official numbers.
So do you blame 48 million??

People are poor because they make choices and decisions that keep them poor. They work for the next day off, vacation, retirement. They work at the job they have not at the job they want. If a poor person wanted to be CEO, there's nothing to stop them. A poor person will never take an extra step knowing they won't be paid for it. They watch that clock like hawks. One minute more tidying up their work station and it's towering resentment. Call the shop steward, I'm a slave.

There is a mind set to being poor. A personality trait. Likely they developed this personality from the very earliest childhood from parents who were poor themselves.

Wrong. Many people are poor because the economy they live in doesn't have enough to go around.
Yep. That or they lost their job, were unable to find one, and were blacklisted for being unemployed for too long. Which seems to be the trend for the higher paid jobs these days.
If you have a job and are not preparing for your next job it is your own fault. There is plenty to go around. You just aren't worth what there is going around.
To have that attitude you had to have either never lost a job in your life, or got all your jobs handed to you.

Yes and no.

My bf makes the same arguments and
he's lost jobs, some he did or did not see coming with all the conflicts and mgmt issues, so he was somewhat prepared.
and because of his good rep and ethics as a positive productive person, he had contacts willing to hire him.

He just didn't waste time fighting or whining, but invested in what is going to help.

I've had jobs thrust at me that were more than I could handle.
That's like the opposite problem, in a way.

We all want better than some of the things we end up with.
The difference is if you spend more time taking responsibility or blaming others.

The type that tend to get hired and entrusted are the type who take responsibility.

want to depend on me.

I have never lost a job, and have always left my former employers in a cordial or friendly manner. If I asked today they would still give me good references.

While there are cases where there are bad or lazy employees, it is hardly the norm in my experience. Then I have always been around hard-working people.

That said, it is very difficult to find employment these days unless you have good references or are going into a trade or highly skilled profession. IT as a field you need to keep up to date in the new and up in coming programming languages, or you get pushed out fairly quickly.

I have walked out on 3 different jobs in my life. No 2 weeks notice, nothing. I always found a better job. 3 of the very best days of my life. Very fulfilling and empowering. That was 30 some years ago though.I

In some of the jobs I applied for, I offered to work 2 days free...so they could see what they are getting. Even that didn't sway them.
With that attitude that's how you never get your way or ahead

Well, if you don't value yourself - then your potential employers will not see the value in the work you do.

Saying you will work for 'free' for x amount of time, is telling them that you aren't confident and are unsure if you can fill the role. Many companies already view the first few days as a 'trial period' anyway, and it isn't like they haven't budgeted for the hiring process.

If they don't offer you the job, then it is best to ask them to 'keep your name on file' if something else crops up, rather than walk away disheartened. There are always cases where people have been turned down, only to be called up a few months later and asked if they would like to apply for another position.

What attitude? Being sure of myself that I can do a great job and wanting to prove it FREE for TWO DAYS?
I don't think all employers see it that way. Many would take it as a tacit admission that you are unsure of your abilities.

Well, if you don't value yourself - then your potential employers will not see the value in the work you do.

Saying you will work for 'free' for x amount of time, is telling them that you aren't confident and are unsure if you can fill the role. Many companies already view the first few days as a 'trial period' anyway, and it isn't like they haven't budgeted for the hiring process.

If they don't offer you the job, then it is best to ask them to 'keep your name on file' if something else crops up, rather than walk away disheartened. There are always cases where people have been turned down, only to be called up a few months later and asked if they would like to apply for another position.
That's not my point, way to much bad attitudes by employees, everyone wants to be the chief and no indians

That's not my point, way to much bad attitudes by employees, everyone wants to be the chief and no indians
wtf???? Nowhere did I say I wanted to be a chief. I said I wanted the job and would work FREE for 2 days just to show them I could do what they asked of me..not what I demanded from them!

Forget it. I'm pretty sure I have nothing further to say to you.

Oy. You, too.

Pfffffffffffffft.

I have walked out on 3 different jobs in my life. No 2 weeks notice, nothing. I always found a better job. 3 of the very best days of my life. Very fulfilling and empowering. That was 30 some years ago though.I
30 years ago, there were no computers. There was no high tech. No robots. Some automation, but not much. And certainly no computer programmers. Many jobs required some strength, some manual dexterity and some awareness. Now a days, they require brains. That's why business wants immigrants and the GOP leadership cuts education for it's base. They don't want the GOP base too smart. They'll stop voting against their own self interests.

Forum List

Back