Dear Poor; What is Keeping You Poor?

This topic interests me because one of the employees I manage did remark to me that the salary our company pays him is essentially keeping him poor to the point where he can't afford his mortgage or car payments, leaving no extra money. While outwardly I gave him platitudes and encouraged him to perform better than his colleagues in order to get that raise, introspectively his confession was irksome to me primarily because I was in that same position myself (higher rent instead of a mortgage though).

This bothered me primarily because I started in the same position as this guy, had some of the same trouble and yet I'm better off than he is now. The difference between myself and this guy was that I developed a simple, but effective plan to get out of that situation. I took a good look at my finances, cut out what I didn't need, and essentially lived lean, simple, and uncomplicated life. At work, I simply increased my performances and became more efficient. It wasn't about working faster or working longer, which equates to working harder. It was about working smarter. Some see this negatively as taking shortcuts and cutting corners. It can be seen that way, but what I did is simply increase my accuracy to accompany my speed, which increased my productivity to the point where it would be detrimental to the call center I worked for to leave me in my current position. While it seemed like it took forever for my superiors recognize this (I went on to top every key performance indicator in my position with perfect attendance that year), it actually didn't take all that long (approximately a year) and eventually I was not only hired into the company ( I was a contractor up to that point), but I was also immediately promoted to a leadership role and given the first of several raises over the next few years.

So when this guy says that the salary he earns is keeping him poor. That is truly baffling to me as no salary is ever written in stone with companies like the one I work for. If you prove yourself invaluable to company's business to the point where your individual performance impacts the organization's business productivity positively, you'll never have to worry about having or keeping the job as well as getting proper compensation at that job. If anything, you will become in demand from other organization and even other companies (if you have networking skill). It amazes, amuses and simultaneously frustrates me that people don't understand this and instead simply resign themselves to what is in front of them.

What is keeping me "poor"? Literally, the "affordable health care program" cost me my job...I lost my job of twenty years partially because my old employer couldn't afford us older folks with full health care coverage, so they canned us. Secondly, my new employer won't hire me full time and won't give me full health care coverage, so I pay 44 dollars for what used to (LITTERALY) cost me 50 cents. So the liberal president guy wants to HELP poor people buy screwing the rest of us over? But that is OK, he's a liberal. He means well. Now I know what they mean by the old adage: " The road to Hell is lined with good intentions".

Last edited:
It used to be the prevailing axiom that if you weren't satisfied with your income, then you work hard to make yourself more valuable, go to school, get training, and get a better job.

But the OWS snowflakes of today demand that McDonald's pay them a "living wage"

I started out working at McDonalds...when I was in high school and only needed to pay for my car insurance and gas. If I told my dad I expected McDonald's to pay me as much as I needed for my entire life, my dad would have slapped some sense into me (metaphorically, of course).

That kind of sense is a rare dinosaur these days.

There a lot of families in Chicago that are from East Asia.

They work hard as hell but don't make much money. Far less money than what we would work for and vastly better workers.

They are not stupid or lazy.

They do however maintain old school family where the wife stays home and cares for the kids and the husband works not in every situation but in majority.

Obviously they will be much poorer than others money wise but most likely far richer in matters of family values that actually count for something

Forums > US Discussion > Politics >

1. Dear Poor; What is Keeping You Poor?

Many factors

1- the taxation/inflation necessary to feed the welfare warfare state
2- the massive regulatory state
3- lack of motivation/parasitism encourage by welfare state politicians - the taxpayers are now required to feed , quench the thirst, insure, clothe and educate to community college level

There a lot of families in Chicago that are from East Asia.

They work hard as hell but don't make much money. Far less money than what we would work for and vastly better workers.

They are not stupid or lazy.

They do however maintain old school family where the wife stays home and cares for the kids and the husband works not in every situation but in majority.

Obviously they will be much poorer than others money wise but most likely far richer in matters of family values that actually count for something
Exactly

Define poor
Money wise what is it? Thats the liberals problem they think more money solves the problem it dont

Dear Poor; What is Keeping You Poor?

Considering that there are 4.8 millions jobs available, I'm guessing that for Republicans, it must be the lack of education.
No, more like lack of motivation. If you think that a college degree should an able you to step into the vice president's office and be the vice president you must be a baby boomer or a generation X or a millennial. In other words one who else expects life's rewards given to you without having earned them.

Those who came before you and because their hard work you are able to bitch about not grabbing the opportunity they created for you, know that you are full of shit and are nothing but a lazy complainer.
The likes of you should understand that in life you grab what you can and go for what you want and think you deserve at the appropriate time. If the job you have does not satisfy you get an other job. Move hundreds of miles if necessary.

But don't batch and complain. It is all up to you.

Forum List

Back