De Blasio Announces Addition Of Muslim Holidays To NYC Public Schools Calendar

What part of "unconstitutional" don't you understand?

Is recognizing Christmas as an official school holiday also unconstitutional?

No school recognizes Christmas as an official holiday. Now they call it "winter break."

Which is as it should be.

So you oppose Di Bigmouth's plan to create Muslim school holidays?

Do you?
You never answered my question about your impression of my post of schools today. Was that intentional?

No school recognizes Christmas as an official holiday. Now they call it "winter break."

Do you?

Yes, obviously.

Why?

Do you also support removing Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah from the NYC school calendar?

Do you?
You never answered my question about your impression of my post of schools today. Was that intentional?

No, my response to your post is longer, therefore harder to type out on my phone. My response will be forthcoming when I'm back in front of my computer.

DeBlasio has every right to add as many holidays to the school calendar as he chooses and call them whatever he wants so long as the state's minimum standards for time served (days in school) are met. Hell, they're quickly turning into madrasses teaching terrorism so why not just be a little more up-front?

A wonderful thing, this freedom of restraint from making a total ass of oneself.

It's not an issue here. Because some want to call winter break "Christmas vacation" is their choice. There really are no christian holidays that the schools take off.

Next

You mean schools (and govt offices) no longer get xmas off?

Nope, they should end all paid government and school holidays. Get rid of Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, Memorial, Easter, Veterans, Labor and 4th of July.

The religious need to go because they are religious and the rest need to go because no one honors them for their real meaning, it's just a three weekend.

hmmm...Do they close schools for the Jewish holidays?

Schools and businesses should no longer have special days taken off...especially religious reasons. Take a week for a winter break and a week for a spring break and summers off for the traditional school calendar. For schools that want year round school, they can alter days and months, but no more special days off.

Why?

What is the reasoning behind this particular opinion? I'm genuinely curious.

Our schools are getting so they seldom have a full week of school. If it isn't Presidents day, it's MLK, then teacher's supply day and snow days. Fill in the teacher conference days and basketball games during school hours and those who don't go to the basket ball game at noon can go home! Naturally there's holidays and Friday is movie day. Don't forget the teacher inservice days negotiated by unions and there goes the year!/ And we wonder why our schools are doing so well!

Did I mention the time in the school day for Healthy Bear teaching children how to Brush their teeth ( 2 hours!) Patrolman Pete on crossing the street and looking both ways, Fireman Freddie on drop, roll and something during a fire, and Safety Touch by Miss Eldrich. We won't even bring up the cookie sale launches and sales programs or the candy sale later in the year with their two programs. Add to those and we have bands coming in to entertain the children from the high schools; puppetry, acting and poetry from The Arts and of course a play with ballerinas.

Now if you are a senior here on the board, you can probably think you did not have most of that when you were in school. That when school was about education.

Where are you getting this impression of what goes on in public schools now?
I am a retired teacher and presently have three grandchildren in school. Elementary, Middle and High School. So what is your impression of my last post?

I asked because while I'm not as old as you are (I graduated from a public high school in NY about 18 years ago), I see little difference comparing my memories of public school to the current school calendar and current experiences coming from family members who've taught in public schools for 35+ years as well as family members currently in public schools.

There's no question that education is changing - when I was in elementary school, the computer lab was full of Apple II computers with no hard drives - but that doesn't mean that it's worse.

The number of school days in the year has only increased, which makes your complaints of less time kind of invalid.

Well...I tend not to go thru every thread after 5 pages...and when I see you posts I usually ignore those as well........

They can close their schools for whatever they want.......of course...the more interesting point is these left wing religion haters standing up for Islam...while they attack Jews and Christians.......

Schools and businesses should no longer have special days taken off...especially religious reasons. Take a week for a winter break and a week for a spring break and summers off for the traditional school calendar. For schools that want year round school, they can alter days and months, but no more special days off.

Why?

Our schools are getting so they seldom have a full week of school. If it isn't Presidents day, it's MLK, then teacher's supply day and snow days. Fill in the teacher conference days and basketball games during school hours and those who don't go to the basket ball game at noon can go home! Naturally there's holidays and Friday is movie day. Don't forget the teacher inservice days negotiated by unions and there goes the year!/ And we wonder why our schools are doing so well!

Did I mention the time in the school day for Healthy Bear teaching children how to Brush their teeth ( 2 hours!) Patrolman Pete on crossing the street and looking both ways, Fireman Freddie on drop, roll and something during a fire, and Safety Touch by Miss Eldrich. We won't even bring up the cookie sale launches and sales programs or the candy sale later in the year with their two programs. Add to those and we have bands coming in to entertain the children from the high schools; puppetry, acting and poetry from The Arts and of course a play with ballerinas.

Now if you are a senior here on the board, you can probably think you did not have most of that when you were in school. That when school was about education.

I am a retired teacher and presently have three grandchildren in school. Elementary, Middle and High School. So what is your impression of my last post?

I asked because while I'm not as old as you are (I graduated from a public high school in NY about 18 years ago), I see little difference comparing my memories of public school to the current school calendar and current experiences coming from family members who've taught in public schools for 35+ years as well as family members currently in public schools.

There's no question that education is changing - when I was in elementary school, the computer lab was full of Apple II computers with no hard drives - but that doesn't mean that it's worse.

The number of school days in the year has only increased, which makes your complaints of less time kind of invalid.
What is interesting is what they instructional day is like. When I was going to school, there were no interruptions for "The Arts," social lessons on brushing teeth, what to do when crossing the street or in case of a fire. These lessons came from the home. (Just as feeding breakfast and lunch!) My family took me to a play if it was important, it wasn't the role of the school.

There were clubs for special interests and those were always after school hours. Nothing interfered the the Three R's.

So, perhaps the number of school days in your area has increased with acknowledgement that the day to day education is being interrupted with non educational items. Does your school year have over 190 days?

Why?

What is interesting is what they instructional day is like. When I was going to school, there were no interruptions for "The Arts," social lessons on brushing teeth, what to do when crossing the street or in case of a fire. These lessons came from the home. (Just as feeding breakfast and lunch!) My family took me to a play if it was important, it wasn't the role of the school.

There were clubs for special interests and those were always after school hours. Nothing interfered the the Three R's.

So, perhaps the number of school days in your area has increased with acknowledgement that the day to day education is being interrupted with non educational items. Does your school year have over 190 days?

I disagree that "Arts" are "non-educational", and I don't have any problem with elementary school kids being taught how to safely cross the street and how to brush their teeth.

The school year in NYC is minimum 180 days - with no snow days, it's usually 185 days. How many days of school did you have when you were in school?

I disagree that "Arts" are "non-educational", and I don't have any problem with elementary school kids being taught how to safely cross the street and how to brush their teeth.

The school year in NYC is minimum 180 days - with no snow days, it's usually 185 days. How many days of school did you have when you were in school?

I don't know how many when I was a student, but 190 when I was a teacher. I don't know if I can google that. Doubt it.

I remember years ago a Catholic Priest once justified the opulence of beautiful Duomo's, Cathedral, as the poor and disadvantaged needed to have beautiful edifices available to make them feel better about themselves. My response was since when did artwork cure diseases or feed the poor. But dam they had great Church's. Art has its place after the basics of human existence are taken care of.

Looking it up, I found it probably was the traditional 180. I also found this:

"Concerns about the relationship between time and learning persisted, leading to the creation and work of the National Education Commission on Time and Learning. The commission’s 1994 final report, "Prisoners of Time," argued that the school day is “easily reduced at the secondary level to about three hours of time for core academic instruction” due to the encroachment of other requirements (e.g., education about personal safety, consumer affairs, AIDS education, conservation and energy, family life, driver’s training) and traditional nonacademic activities (e.g., counseling, gym, study halls, homeroom, lunch, pep rallies). The commission called on the nation to “reclaim” the academic day by “providing at least 5.5 hours of core academic instructional time daily.” - See more at: Making time What research says about re-organizing school schedules

It shows that analysts have long been concerned with educational time in schools.

I remember years ago a Catholic Priest once justified the opulence of beautiful Duomo's, Cathedral, as the poor and disadvantaged needed to have beautiful edifices available to make them feel better about themselves. My response was since when did artwork cure diseases or feed the poor. But dam they had great Church's. Art has its place after the basics of human existence are taken care of.
Amen.

Mayor De Blasio NYC Public Schools Add Muslim Holidays To Calendar CBS New York

De Blasio Announces Addition Of Muslim Holidays To NYC Public Schools Calendar

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – New York City public schools have added two Muslim holidays to the school calendar, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina announced Wednesday.

Schools will now close for Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, making New York City the largest school district in the nation to recognize the two holidays on the official school calendar.

“We are committed to having a school calendar that reflects and honors the extraordinary diversity of our students,” said Farina.

De Blasio said the change means that Muslim families won’t be forced to choose between observing the holidays and sending their kids to school.

“They want to celebrate their holiday but they also want to go to school, they love school. So now they don’t have to make that choice and this is why this is so amazing,” mother of three Linda Sarsour told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell.

The announcement was made at PS/IS 30 in Brooklyn, where officials said 36 percent of students were absent the last time Eid al-Adha fell on a school day.

“We’re here today to make good on a promise to our Muslim brothers and sisters that a holiday of supreme importance to the Muslim community will be recognized in our school calendar so that children can honor the holiday without missing school,” the mayor said.

“I want to thank Mayor de Blasio for adding Eid-al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr to the public school holiday calendar,” said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. “Islam is one of the largest religions in the world, and the Muslim community is thriving not just in The Bronx but throughout the city of New York. This decision allows our city’s Muslim community to fully practice their faith without it interfering with their school attendance and education. As I have said in the past, by recognizing these two important holidays, we show that not only are we welcoming to everyone’s religious beliefs but that we respect everyone’s Constitutional right to freedom of religion.”

Eid al-Adha will be observed for the first time on Sept. 24. Eid-al-Fitr, which falls over the summer, will be designated a holiday for those attending summer school.

AAnnnnnnnd Go!
Islam is a cult of satan worshipers therefore not covered by freedom of religion. Libtards kissing the ass of stupidity again.
Even satan worshippers are protected under our constitution.

It's not a state. It's a city. The level of education in New York is such that giving them every day off wouldn't hurt.

If the people don't like it diblasio won't get another term.

potayto, potahto.

statism

noun stat·ism \ˈstā-ˌti-zəm\
Definition of STATISM
: concentration of economic controls and planning in the hands of a highly centralized government often extending to government ownership of industry

statists.jpg

That's the tee potty all righty.

10984489_10152760101076275_4231992794972046908_n.jpg

Forum List

Back