Chris Wallace Faces Intense Backlash, Including From Colleagues, Over Bias During Debate

Some observations:

I don't particularly like Chris Wallace, but he is no leftist, as far as I can tell.

It seemed like Trump would interrupt Joe while Joe was about to make a huge mistake and say something really stupid, and Chris would try to keep Trump from stopping Joe from gaffing.

At the same time, Wallace appeared to be doing his best to prevent an outright slaughter on the police/law and order issue.

Wallace talked about "climate change" as if it were a fact/"settled science" and expected Trump to accept that framing.

Wallace didn't give Trump a fair shot to actually condemn any alleged white supremacist organizations, as if it were factual that Trump would not condemn such groups.

Wallace did allow both to throw around accusations at each other.

The entire thing was a chimp pooh-flinging contest.
Chris is to the left of his father, who was a strong Democrat. Everyone that knows him knows that.

Trump called wallace out in the first 5 minutes saying...I guess I'm debating you now.

About 3 quarters of the way thru...Trump almost had wallace in tears...I LOVED IT!

Trump38.jpg

Did the best he could with what was in front of him. He tried being a ringmaster but what was needed was a drill sergeant who was going to get nasty. Were it me, I'd have gotten hostile the second time Trump started with his bullshit (I'd have given him a mully for the first one). The mods should have the ability to mute a mic. Trump deserved that. Same thing I would have done to Biden as well after repeated interruptions. This isn't a schoolyard brawl. There has to be some level of decorum. But Trump couldn't even abide by that.

Trump owns this disaster (as he does many over the last 3.5+ years). He knew he was going to get creamed so he came in and set the place on fire.

Ultimately, the problem is nobody has figured out and composed the best rules for conducting the deliberate debate that people are searching for.

Did the best he could with what was in front of him. He tried being a ringmaster but what was needed was a drill sergeant who was going to get nasty. Were it me, I'd have gotten hostile the second time Trump started with his bullshit (I'd have given him a mully for the first one). The mods should have the ability to mute a mic. Trump deserved that. Same thing I would have done to Biden as well after repeated interruptions. This isn't a schoolyard brawl. There has to be some level of decorum. But Trump couldn't even abide by that.

Trump owns this disaster (as he does many over the last 3.5+ years). He knew he was going to get creamed so he came in and set the place on fire.

In fairness Biden was just playing heads up football... He saw that interrupting was allowed so he got into it when Trump was at it...

Wallace is not to blame. Trump acted in bad faith. He signed on to the rules and then broke them immediately...

Trump lost because he broke the rules so much, Biden got no knock out punch but Trump delivered a self inflicted wound about the Proud Boys...

Fox News host Chris Wallace, a registered Democrat, faced intense backlash on Tuesday night for what was widely deemed as bias in the debate in the favor of Democrat Joe Biden and against Republican President Donald Trump.

One of the issues that Wallace was called out for the most was how he appeared to let Biden interrupt Trump but would jump in to interrupt Trump when Trump would talk over Biden.

BJ -
Most objective people knew going in that Wallace is a never trumper who would do what he did.
No one should have been shocked.

Very disappointed in Chris Wallace. Though I know him to be a left leaning individual, I also always thought that he was a mostly objective journalist who did a better job than most journalists at not letting his political beliefs show professionally. Not so sure anymore. He allowed Joe Biden to avoid and evade direct and specific answers to questions, and worse, let Joe Biden use the debate as a political ad, by allowing him to speak directly to the camera rather than speak to the moderator and his debate opponent as it supposed to be. He allowed Joe Biden to simply regurgitate the pablum his staff fed him over the past weeks of prep, not pressing him so he would actually have to speak on a subject "off the cuff" and prove his cognitive abilities were up to the job of President of the United States.

Not sure who actually "won" the debate, but it is perfectly clear who lost. Chris Wallace.

________________________________View attachment 395007

I disagree with this part: He allowed Joe Biden to avoid and evade direct and specific answers to questions.

I saw him, on multiple occasions, trying to pin Biden down, but Trump kept interrupting.

"but Trump kept interrupting."

That may be true, but it's a poor excuse. He was the Moderator. He should have been in control of the debate regardless of the participants actions. He should not have allowed Trumps interruptions to absolve Biden from answering the question.

Agree, BUT, he should not have ALLOWED those interruptions PERIOD. And there were time limits for each segment, so they had to move on.

"Agree, BUT, he should not have ALLOWED those interruptions PERIOD."

There is no BUT needed. I have already said I agreed that President Trump interrupted ( not that Former Vice President Biden didn't). I have also stated that leaning on the fact that there were interruptions like a crutch for doing a poor job of Moderating is a poor excuse. Now you want to cut Chris Wallace more slack, saying that time constraints "forced" him to "move on" ? REALLY? HE WAS THE MODERATOR. His one and only job that night was to maintain control and decorum, ask the questions, and get the participants to answer those questions for the American people so they could decide on a candidate to support. He failed, why do you feel compelled to make excuses for him? Why must the Left ALWAYS make excuses?

Thanks But GIF - Thanks But YeahBut GIFs

Oh I don't disagree with you on Wallace. I'm pointing out certain REALITIES of how debates are set up. They have get through a set number of topics in a set time frame. PART of the job of the moderator is to keep it MOVING. That's the ONLY part Wallace got right.

As for excuses, why does the right keep excusing Trump's behavior as "Trump being Trump"?

Behavior? What? Did the American people vote in an election to send someone to Finishing School to learn proper etiquette? NO. They elected someone to be President of the United States. To defend the Constitution and look out for America's and Americans' best interest....and that is EXACTLY what he has done. If your biggest concern is whether or not the President knows which fork to use for the salad....YOU probably shouldn't be voting.
View attachment 395029

They supposedly voted for a president.

They got a boorish clown who's main motivation is self interest and enrichment.

Surely that has little to do with table top etiquette, but if your aim is to degrade the office, then well done. You've accomplished a lot in 4 years with that alone.

We voted for a President
We got a President that has turned out to be even better than advertised.
I realize that you will not agree with that -
The point that won't penetrate your bubble is that Millions of people respect the work that he is doing.
The fact that people of your ilk don't like him - simply reinforces how right we are.

Yes, Trump was obnoxious last night.

He needed to be.

For example, there was a moment when Biden attempted to steal sympathy points by waxing emotional about his son Beau and what a military hero and super-great guy he was, completely conflating Beau's story with that of his dirt bag brother Hunter.

A typical nice-guy Bush Republican politician would have run for the hills at that point and said "Oh yes, I agree that your son Beau was a hero" and blown himself up.

Not Trump. Trump shut Biden down utterly. "Who?"

"Beau!"

"I don't know Beau. I know Hunter, and I want to know about that 3.5 million dollars."

It takes a level of jerk most people can't manage in order to pull that off, but when your opponent pulls out the corpse of his dead son in an attempt to deflect scrutiny on the corruption of his live son, corruption the candidate himself has obviously assisted in, your opponent deserves to get shut down.

Had Trump backed off, that "emotional moment" would have been the only thing the media would have allowed anyone to remember from last night.

This is why nobody should be upset about Trump being obnoxious. Politics is war. Trump fights.

Chris Wallace jumped in to bail Biden out at the end by attempting to shut off a discussion of the documented corruption of Hunter Biden and Burisma, of Rosemont Seneca’s $1.5 billion Chinese private equity deal, of the $3.5 million Biden took from the wife of the former mayor of Moscow.

The idea that none of this stuff is a valid line of inquiry, when it directly speaks to Joe Biden’s corruption, is more offensive than anything Trump’s brusque style might have produced last night and Trump was right to harp on it as often as he could.

Ultimately, the problem is nobody has figured out and composed the best rules for conducting the deliberate debate that people are searching for.
The Lincoln/Douglas debate platform is perfect..

You get 15 minuets to make your case then 2 rebutal s of 3 min each. No moderator other than a timer. The participants were given specifc questions the people wanted answered. It lasted three hours... The converstaions lasted weeks and into years...

Not to mention that the clip begins with one of Biden’s abject lies, which is that Trump called dead soldiers and Marines “losers” and “suckers” in refusing to travel to the military cemetery at Belleau Wood. Some two dozen people who were in a position to know have gone on the record to say that those quotes, which surfaced in an anonymously-sourced piece by the Democrat propagandist Jeffrey Goldberg at The Atlantic, were fabricated and did not happen.

BIDEN: “I’m not opposed to the Justice.”

FACT: Biden and Harris have both publicly opposed Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the Supreme Court, despite glowing reviews from the legal community and her colleagues.

· Biden put out a statement in opposition to Judge Barrett’s nomination.
· Biden’s running mate, Kamala Harris, tweeted that she strongly opposed Judge Barrett’s nomination.

BIDEN: “There’s a hundred million people with preexisting conditions and [their insurance will] be taken away as well.”

FACT: Biden’s claim has been called “misleading,” and President Trump has said he will always protect Americans with pre-existing conditions.

· Just last week, President Trump signed an Executive Order making it the official policy of the federal government to protect those with pre-existing conditions

Fox News host Chris Wallace, a registered Democrat, faced intense backlash on Tuesday night for what was widely deemed as bias in the debate in the favor of Democrat Joe Biden and against Republican President Donald Trump.

One of the issues that Wallace was called out for the most was how he appeared to let Biden interrupt Trump but would jump in to interrupt Trump when Trump would talk over Biden.

BJ -
Most objective people knew going in that Wallace is a never trumper who would do what he did.

Very disappointed in Chris Wallace. Though I know him to be a left leaning individual, I also always thought that he was a mostly objective journalist who did a better job than most journalists at not letting his political beliefs show professionally. Not so sure anymore. He allowed Joe Biden to avoid and evade direct and specific answers to questions, and worse, let Joe Biden use the debate as a political ad, by allowing him to speak directly to the camera rather than speak to the moderator and his debate opponent as it supposed to be. He allowed Joe Biden to simply regurgitate the pablum his staff fed him over the past weeks of prep, not pressing him so he would actually have to speak on a subject "off the cuff" and prove his cognitive abilities were up to the job of President of the United States.

Not sure who actually "won" the debate, but it is perfectly clear who lost. Chris Wallace.

I disagree with this part: He allowed Joe Biden to avoid and evade direct and specific answers to questions.

I saw him, on multiple occasions, trying to pin Biden down, but Trump kept interrupting.

That may be true, but it's a poor excuse. He was the Moderator. He should have been in control of the debate regardless of the participants actions. He should not have allowed Trumps interruptions to absolve Biden from answering the question.

Agree, BUT, he should not have ALLOWED those interruptions PERIOD. And there were time limits for each segment, so they had to move on.

There is no BUT needed. I have already said I agreed that President Trump interrupted ( not that Former Vice President Biden didn't). I have also stated that leaning on the fact that there were interruptions like a crutch for doing a poor job of Moderating is a poor excuse. Now you want to cut Chris Wallace more slack, saying that time constraints "forced" him to "move on" ? REALLY? HE WAS THE MODERATOR. His one and only job that night was to maintain control and decorum, ask the questions, and get the participants to answer those questions for the American people so they could decide on a candidate to support. He failed, why do you feel compelled to make excuses for him? Why must the Left ALWAYS make excuses?

Oh I don't disagree with you on Wallace. I'm pointing out certain REALITIES of how debates are set up. They have get through a set number of topics in a set time frame. PART of the job of the moderator is to keep it MOVING. That's the ONLY part Wallace got right.

As for excuses, why does the right keep excusing Trump's behavior as "Trump being Trump"?

Behavior? What? Did the American people vote in an election to send someone to Finishing School to learn proper etiquette? NO. They elected someone to be President of the United States. To defend the Constitution and look out for America's and Americans' best interest....and that is EXACTLY what he has done. If your biggest concern is whether or not the President knows which fork to use for the salad....YOU probably shouldn't be voting.
View attachment 395029

Surely that has little to do with table top etiquette, but if your aim is to degrade the office, then well done. You've accomplished a lot in 4 years with that alone.

"........main motivation is self interest and enrichment. "? Wow, what flavor was the cool-aid they gave you?

The man was a businessman prior to running for office. He has lost MILLIONS of DOLLARS due to his giving of himself altruistically to the task of Making America Great Again. Altruistically, you ask? Yes, because in addition to not being able to personally attend to his many business interests, he donates BACK TO THE TREASURY his ENTIRE SALARY of $400,000 per year for a grand total of $1.6 Million dollars over his 4 year FIRST TERM.

Since you bring up the term "clown". Let's talk about that as it pertains to ill behavior you seem all too willing to gloss over. It wasn't President Donald J Trump who referred to his debate opponent as a "Clown" last night....That was your fine upstanding Statesman Joe Biden who did that. Oh, and it wasn't President Donald J Trump who told his opponent in the debate last night to "shut up"....it was fine and proper Joe Biden who told his opponent to "shut up". Now that's some behavior you can be proud of for someone who was Vice President for 8 years and aspires to fill the office of President...isn't it?

BJ -

View attachment 395029

We voted for a President
We got a President that has turned out to be even better than advertised.
I realize that you will not agree with that -
The point that won't penetrate your bubble is that Millions of people respect the work that he is doing.
The fact that people of your ilk don't like him - simply reinforces how right we are.

Got nothing to do with it. You're entitled to your bias and I didn't expect last night to change many minds.
Bottom line here is Trump wasn't interested in discussing policy. He knew he'd be exposed.
He wanted to blow things up so he wouldn't have to explain anything. If you are even remotely fair in your assessment
of last night, you'll admit Trump pretty much blew his shot to make a good impression. If not, well, on with your bias.

Forum List

Back