Can we beam people?

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
Getting him out there somehow...

Seriously, I don´t think it is possible for the following reasons.

1. Mind beaming?
Probably, if you beam a person to a certain destination, you are killing this person. Once beamed, the beamed one will be without mind, memory, awareness, ect. It will just fall over, dead.

2. Mind beaming!
Even if it is possible to beam the mind also, you have dissolved the brain that contains the mind, it means you have killed the person. It will just fall over, dead.

3. Full beam!
Even if you managed to beam a person together with mind and it is still alive and self-aware, you have killed the person and created a clone. Because, imagine when you beam and you would not dissolve the target person but just copy it to its destination, then you would have two identical persons. But "normal" beaming includes dissolving the person, you are cutting and pasting, killing the original person, creating a clone. The beamed person will be a clone, when it survives, it will not be the original person.

So, Scotty is not beaming someone up without killing him. The only way to move people like beaming them is to bypass the law of nature, use the powers of the beyond.

Last edited:

1. Mind beaming?
Probably, if you beam a person to a certain destination, you are killing this person. Once beamed, the beamed one will be without mind, memory, awareness, ect. It will just fall over, dead.

2. Mind beaming!
Even if it is possible to beam the mind also, you have dissolved the brain that contains the mind, it means you have killed the person. It will just fall over, dead.

3. Full beam!
Even if you managed to beam a person together with mind and it is still alive and self-aware, you have killed the person and created a clone. Because, imagine when you beam and you would not dissolve the target person but just copy it to its destination, then you would have two identical persons. But "normal" beaming includes dissolving the person, you are cutting and pasting, killing the original person, creating a clone. The beamed person will be a clone, when it survives, it will not be the original person.

So, Scotty is not beaming someone up without killing him. The only way to move people like beaming them is to bypass the law of nature, use the powers of the beyond.

Interesting topic.

Science fiction author David Brin acknowledged the problem in his sole Star Trek work, a Next Generation graphic novel titled Forgiveness. There, he introduces a 21st Century scientist who invents the transporter, Colin Blakeney. Blakeney faces fear and hatred from groups who believe that once a person steps through the transporter, the result is a soulless copy. At one point, the scientist accidentally beams himself into space, where he rematerializes 300 years later aboard the Enterprise. There, he tells Dr. Crusher what he has now learned.

“The transporter doesn’t just send information on how to build a copy of you," Blakeney concludes. "It sends you… soul and all.”

1606022895038.png

I'd like to beam a few posters across the head around here but I don't think it'd do any good.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

Science fiction author David Brin acknowledged the problem in his sole Star Trek work, a Next Generation graphic novel titled Forgiveness. There, he introduces a 21st Century scientist who invents the transporter, Colin Blakeney. Blakeney faces fear and hatred from groups who believe that once a person steps through the transporter, the result is a soulless copy. At one point, the scientist accidentally beams himself into space, where he rematerializes 300 years later aboard the Enterprise. There, he tells Dr. Crusher what he has now learned.

“The transporter doesn’t just send information on how to build a copy of you," Blakeney concludes. "It sends you… soul and all.”

Entertainment is not science. In fact, you have to switch off a person to store its mind somewhere and put it back into the person on its destination. Really off, not put asleep. That means you have killed the person. What you will get is an undead zombie, at best.

More....

Quantum resolution
Christopher L. Bennett, a Star Trek novelist who always puts a lot of thought into the science and philosophy behind his stories, grappled with this very issue in a blog post. “I’m not stepping in one of those things—or having one of my beloved characters step into one, at any rate—unless I can be persuaded that there’s a continuity of self-awareness from one end to the other,” he wrote.

Bennett concludes that quantum teleportation—a real phenomenon—offers a conclusive, scientific answer to the problem. Quantum teleportation is a process by which information about a particle’s quantum state is traded with another particle at the receiving end, essentially transforming that particle into the original particle.

More....

Quantum resolution
Christopher L. Bennett, a Star Trek novelist who always puts a lot of thought into the science and philosophy behind his stories, grappled with this very issue in a blog post. “I’m not stepping in one of those things—or having one of my beloved characters step into one, at any rate—unless I can be persuaded that there’s a continuity of self-awareness from one end to the other,” he wrote.

Bennett concludes that quantum teleportation—a real phenomenon—offers a conclusive, scientific answer to the problem. Quantum teleportation is a process by which information about a particle’s quantum state is traded with another particle at the receiving end, essentially transforming that particle into the original particle.

At the particle level.......as in single particles ONLY

More....

Quantum resolution

How does that explain it?

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

Entertainment is not science. In fact, you have to switch off a person to store its mind somewhere and put it back into the person on its destination. Really off, not put asleep. That means you have killed the person. What you will get is an undead zombie, at best.
As I see it, since quantum identity is defined by state information rather than physical substance, the 'self' endures in the transporter pattern—the energy matrix encoding the quantum-level information of the transported subject's structure—while the physical particles of the body are dissociated (i.e. have their state information temporarily removed from them and stored in the beam instead),” Bennett told Ars. “So when characters in Trek talk about the transporter converting matter to energy, my rationalization is that they don't literally mean mass-energy conversion by E=mc2 (which would entail a horrifyingly destructive energy release), but rather they are talking about your identity, your physical pattern and consciousness, being temporarily encoded in the beam's energy matrix (the transporter pattern) until they can be reunited with your particle stream.”

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

As I see it, since quantum identity is defined by state information rather than physical substance, the 'self' endures in the transporter pattern—the energy matrix encoding the quantum-level information of the transported subject's structure—while the physical particles of the body are dissociated (i.e. have their state information temporarily removed from them and stored in the beam instead),” Bennett told Ars. “So when characters in Trek talk about the transporter converting matter to energy, my rationalization is that they don't literally mean mass-energy conversion by E=mc2 (which would entail a horrifyingly destructive energy release), but rather they are talking about your identity, your physical pattern and consciousness, being temporarily encoded in the beam's energy matrix (the transporter pattern) until they can be reunited with your particle stream.”
The description "storing in the beam" cannot hide that it means a conversion into a file, respective a bunch of huge files, stripped off any life.

Last edited:

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

The description "storing in the beam" cannot hide that it means a conversion into a file, respective on bunch of huge files, stripped off any life.

We are talking 24th century, what if they did find your soul and store it on a computer, your brain is really just an a electrical source

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

The description "storing in the beam" cannot hide that it means a conversion into a file, respective on bunch of huge files, stripped off any life.

We are talking 24th century, what if they did find your soul and store it on a computer, your brain is really just an a electrical source
You are talking Star Trek time. I am just talking beaming. And if we have a soul that goes into the beyond, it cannot be stored with means of this world because it follows other laws.
The brain is electric, indeed, but it does not have a "hard drive", once it is off, it is dead.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

You are talking Star Trek time. I am just talking beaming. And if we have a soul that goes into the beyond, it cannot be stored with means of this world because it follows other laws.
The brain is electric, indeed, but it does not have a "hard drive", once it is off, it is dead.
You're the one who got me interested in this topic, now I am reading up on it and thinking about it, if all your brain is electrical/chemical reaction couldn't it be stored elsewhere?

When we observed the state of a quantum particle, we alter its behavior.

Forum List

Back