Can we beam people?

Getting him out there somehow...

Seriously, I don´t think it is possible for the following reasons.

1. Mind beaming?
Probably, if you beam a person to a certain destination, you are killing this person. Once beamed, the beamed one will be without mind, memory, awareness, ect. It will just fall over, dead.

2. Mind beaming!
Even if it is possible to beam the mind also, you have dissolved the brain that contains the mind, it means you have killed the person. It will just fall over, dead.

3. Full beam!
Even if you managed to beam a person together with mind and it is still alive and self-aware, you have killed the person and created a clone. Because, imagine when you beam and you would not dissolve the target person but just copy it to its destination, then you would have two identical persons. But "normal" beaming includes dissolving the person, you are cutting and pasting, killing the original person, creating a clone. The beamed person will be a clone, when it survives, it will not be the original person.

So, Scotty is not beaming someone up without killing him. The only way to move people like beaming them is to bypass the law of nature, use the powers of the beyond.

Interesting topic.

Science fiction author David Brin acknowledged the problem in his sole Star Trek work, a Next Generation graphic novel titled Forgiveness. There, he introduces a 21st Century scientist who invents the transporter, Colin Blakeney. Blakeney faces fear and hatred from groups who believe that once a person steps through the transporter, the result is a soulless copy. At one point, the scientist accidentally beams himself into space, where he rematerializes 300 years later aboard the Enterprise. There, he tells Dr. Crusher what he has now learned.

“The transporter doesn’t just send information on how to build a copy of you," Blakeney concludes. "It sends you… soul and all.”

Entertainment is not science. In fact, you have to switch off a person to store its mind somewhere and put it back into the person on its destination. Really off, not put asleep. That means you have killed the person. What you will get is an undead zombie, at best.
As I see it, since quantum identity is defined by state information rather than physical substance, the 'self' endures in the transporter pattern—the energy matrix encoding the quantum-level information of the transported subject's structure—while the physical particles of the body are dissociated (i.e. have their state information temporarily removed from them and stored in the beam instead),” Bennett told Ars. “So when characters in Trek talk about the transporter converting matter to energy, my rationalization is that they don't literally mean mass-energy conversion by E=mc2 (which would entail a horrifyingly destructive energy release), but rather they are talking about your identity, your physical pattern and consciousness, being temporarily encoded in the beam's energy matrix (the transporter pattern) until they can be reunited with your particle stream.”
The description "storing in the beam" cannot hide that it means a conversion into a file, respective on bunch of huge files, stripped off any life.

We are talking 24th century, what if they did find your soul and store it on a computer, your brain is really just an a electrical source
You are talking Star Trek time. I am just talking beaming. And if we have a soul that goes into the beyond, it cannot be stored with means of this world because it follows other laws.
The brain is electric, indeed, but it does not have a "hard drive", once it is off, it is dead.
Ok the transporter goes at the speed of light, your brain doesn't shut off that fast, they could put the body back together again and you would be the same

Bennett concludes that quantum teleportation—a real phenomenon—offers a conclusive, scientific answer to the problem. Quantum teleportation is a process by which information about a particle’s quantum state is traded with another particle at the receiving end, essentially transforming that particle into the original particle.

When we observed the state of a quantum particle, we alter its behavior.

Crucial to this process is quantum entanglement, a process in which two particles that interact can become correlated with each other. Particles in a human body (or any macroscopic object) are becoming entangled all the time, since they’re interacting all the time. Bennett argues that it’s this constant entanglement that allows a human brain to be a continuous whole in the first place. In other words, saying there’s a continuity of your brain’s structure simply means that its particles are correlated with each other via quantum entanglement, according to Bennett.

1. Mind beaming?
Probably, if you beam a person to a certain destination, you are killing this person. Once beamed, the beamed one will be without mind, memory, awareness, ect. It will just fall over, dead.

2. Mind beaming!
Even if it is possible to beam the mind also, you have dissolved the brain that contains the mind, it means you have killed the person. It will just fall over, dead.

3. Full beam!
Even if you managed to beam a person together with mind and it is still alive and self-aware, you have killed the person and created a clone. Because, imagine when you beam and you would not dissolve the target person but just copy it to its destination, then you would have two identical persons. But "normal" beaming includes dissolving the person, you are cutting and pasting, killing the original person, creating a clone. The beamed person will be a clone, when it survives, it will not be the original person.

So, Scotty is not beaming someone up without killing him. The only way to move people like beaming them is to bypass the law of nature, use the powers of the beyond.

Interesting topic.

Science fiction author David Brin acknowledged the problem in his sole Star Trek work, a Next Generation graphic novel titled Forgiveness. There, he introduces a 21st Century scientist who invents the transporter, Colin Blakeney. Blakeney faces fear and hatred from groups who believe that once a person steps through the transporter, the result is a soulless copy. At one point, the scientist accidentally beams himself into space, where he rematerializes 300 years later aboard the Enterprise. There, he tells Dr. Crusher what he has now learned.

“The transporter doesn’t just send information on how to build a copy of you," Blakeney concludes. "It sends you… soul and all.”

A decade or so ago - even tho I was RAISED on Star Trek -- I would have said no.. But in the past 10 years some interesting things in physics have been discovered and verified.. Like Quantum Entanglement. Proven and demonstrated -- that a pair of identical particles can separated by LARGE DISTANCE and if the spin on ONE of them is changed or altered -- the DISTANT one also changes..

Yeah == Far out man.. In fact, the Chinese supposedly has a communications satellite up were the com link is done by "entangled particles".. 120 miles in space -- if you change the spin on the particle in the control room -- the satellite RECEIVES the message..

It ain't the transporter room yet -- but we've seem to have discovered how to change matter and energy at a distance..

Quantum entanglement - Wikipedia Or if that's too much. there's

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

To make this work you'd have to completely map every connection in the brain, or at least the cerebellum. That map would be a snapshot of that person. That is the hard part. Putting that map into a machine would mean immortality for that brain. Transporting that "snapshot" and installing it onto a remote machine is essentially teleportation or travel at the speed of light. That is only one use of this technology and probably not even the most interesting one.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

Entertainment is not science. In fact, you have to switch off a person to store its mind somewhere and put it back into the person on its destination. Really off, not put asleep. That means you have killed the person. What you will get is an undead zombie, at best.
As I see it, since quantum identity is defined by state information rather than physical substance, the 'self' endures in the transporter pattern—the energy matrix encoding the quantum-level information of the transported subject's structure—while the physical particles of the body are dissociated (i.e. have their state information temporarily removed from them and stored in the beam instead),” Bennett told Ars. “So when characters in Trek talk about the transporter converting matter to energy, my rationalization is that they don't literally mean mass-energy conversion by E=mc2 (which would entail a horrifyingly destructive energy release), but rather they are talking about your identity, your physical pattern and consciousness, being temporarily encoded in the beam's energy matrix (the transporter pattern) until they can be reunited with your particle stream.”
The description "storing in the beam" cannot hide that it means a conversion into a file, respective on bunch of huge files, stripped off any life.

We are talking 24th century, what if they did find your soul and store it on a computer, your brain is really just an a electrical source
You are talking Star Trek time. I am just talking beaming. And if we have a soul that goes into the beyond, it cannot be stored with means of this world because it follows other laws.
The brain is electric, indeed, but it does not have a "hard drive", once it is off, it is dead.
You're the one who got me interested in this topic, now I am reading up on it and thinking about it, if all your brain is electrical/chemical reaction couldn't it be stored elsewhere?
It possibly could, but not without interrupting the mind. We are not like programs that can be turned off and on again. Off is dead, period.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

To make this work you'd have to completely map every connection in the brain, or at least the cerebellum. That map would be a snapshot of that person. That is the hard part. Putting that map into a machine would mean immortality for that brain. Transporting that "snapshot" and installing it onto a remote machine is essentially teleportation or travel at the speed of light. That is only one use of this technology and probably not even the most interesting one.
Still, even if you have that snapshot it is not you, it is a copy of you, your clone.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

You're the one who got me interested in this topic, now I am reading up on it and thinking about it, if all your brain is electrical/chemical reaction couldn't it be stored elsewhere?
It possibly could, but not without interrupting the mind. We are not like programs that can be turned off and on again. Off is dead, period.
We go to sleep right? Some of us turn off our mind, and what feels like milli seconds a new day appears

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Interesting topic.

We go to sleep right? Some of us turn off our mind, and what feels like milli seconds a new day appears
It is not off. You are dreaming. Your mind is working. Your body is in maintenance mode, not off.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

I would love to beam you to Pluto

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

But it is Trump who will go there.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

Still, even if you have that snapshot it is not you, it is a copy of you, your clone.
No, it is me. It would have every memory I currently have. Clones just duplicate DNA, this would be a duplicate of your mind. We might need laws that prevent you from having more than one of you at a time.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

No, it is me. It would have every memory I currently have. Clones just duplicate DNA, this would be a duplicate of your mind. We might need laws that prevent you from having more than one of you at a time.
It would have your memory because it would be a copy of you.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

OK, just semantics I guess.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

OK, just semantics I guess.
Watched The 6th Day yesterday. They are making clones there, pretending a dead person could become his own clone, whose mind (regular backup) was stored on a HDD. Entirely impossible. Any clone is an independent-minded person.

1. Mind beaming?

2. Mind beaming!

3. Full beam!

But it is Trump who will go there.
Actually Trump will fly off in a nicer 757 than Air Farce 1

But you stay there and keep your ugly face covered

You know obey the commie rules

Forum List

Back