Bible History

Not bashing Christianity at all. Do you understand the meaning of didactic literature?

That is the most hilarious thing I’ve read all day. You evidently have no self-awareness. Sorry but I’m not interested in giving you a platform to spew your ideas on Christianity. You’ve already stated them 20 trillion times on these religion threads, we all know what you believe. Give it a rest.

That is the most hilarious thing I’ve read all day. You evidently have no self-awareness. Sorry but I’m not interested in giving you a platform to spew your ideas on Christianity. You’ve already stated them 20 trillion times on these religion threads, we all know what you believe. Give it a rest.
do you ever contribute something of value to a post ...

do you ever contribute something of value to a post ...

Coming from the one trick pony, that’s the second most hilarious thing I’ve read all day. If that’s not the pot calling the kettle black I don’t know what is! But not surprising, people with an antichrist spirit have a way of constantly flipping the truth upside down.

The Bible isn't a science book, but science backs up the Bible. Nothing backs up Harry Potter and evolution (w/o natural selection). There is no abiogenesis, aliens (life on other planets or space bodies) or life from non-life. It's YOU and the atheists who believe in those the Harry Potter fantasies.
'science" UH---yeah it is science and history of its time

Its a large collection of writings over time by sometimes anonymous authors. It was redacted and amended under king Omri when he sought to reunite Judah and Israel....

The OT is full of poetry, ancient myths from the Canaanites... borrowed stories from Egypt and Sumer.

Its didactic literature never intended as history.
Most of the Bible gives the actual names of the authors. Few such as David were done by anonymous authors. If you're serious about the Bible, then you should disregard that which happened under King Omri. He was an evil king, probably the worst of his predecessors, so redacting and amending the Bible would not be to be honest and trustworthy.

That is true of the OT. I think the poetry used a method to convey two related thoughts or ideas. I don't want to just discuss the OT, but generally speaking, the New Testament clears up and fulfills the prophecies of the OT. What myths from the Canaanites are you referring to? Also, what are a few of the borrowed stories from Egypt and Sumer.

As for it being didactic literature never intended as history is quite a jump based on what you presented.

'science" UH---yeah it is science and history of its time
What do you mean? The science needs to be updated? The science isn't valid today? History is history, so I don't know why anyone would have a complaint unless it wasn't true.

What do you mean? The science needs to be updated? The science isn't valid today? History is history, so I don't know why anyone would have a complaint unless it wasn't true.
science is "fact" based on observation. The bible records facts as
observed AT THE TIME

Most of the Bible gives the actual names of the authors. Few such as David were done by anonymous authors. If you're serious about the Bible, then you should disregard that which happened under King Omri. He was an evil king, probably the worst of his predecessors, so redacting and amending the Bible would not be to be honest and trustworthy.

That is true of the OT. I think the poetry used a method to convey two related thoughts or ideas. I don't want to just discuss the OT, but generally speaking, the New Testament clears up and fulfills the prophecies of the OT. What myths from the Canaanites are you referring to? Also, what are a few of the borrowed stories from Egypt and Sumer.

As for it being didactic literature never intended as history is quite a jump based on what you presented.

Omri was actually was a good king. Solomon gets credit for a lot of things Omri built.

Much of Psalms is lifted from Canaanite poetry at Ras Shamra. Noah's flood is lifted from the Gilgamesh story of Sumer and Dilmun. Moses may be lifted from the much older story of Sinuhe.

Many of the laws are lifted from the Code of Hammurabi and the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Some of the books are given named authors out of tradition. Like the Book of Daniel.

They seem to be teaching narratives and morality tales with a basic theme of redemption. That's what I meant by didactic literature.

Very important IMO, but not history. The Hebrews were not historians.. They were story tellers.

Ugarit - Quartz Hill School of Theology
www.theology.edu/ugarit.htm
The Ugaritic alphabet and the text of the tablets from Ugarit, with their mythological and historical texts, have now opened the back door to the Hebrew Scriptures. When the heat of June made further excavations impossible, the problem arose as to how to get the treasures and the staff back to safety.

they are metaphysical forces that are responsible for the development of life and expressed through evolution.

those desert religions - "ways of explaining things" will end the progression of humanities development and lead to the destruction of planet Earth as is being witnessed through their misguided and fraudulent application.

No, they're not. Good and evil are merely human's way of explaining what goes on. Things humans think are bad are "evil" and things humans think are good are "good".

We don't know how life developed. Don't go around making up stories to explain things we don't know.

The ancient Canaanite city-state of Ugarit is of utmost importance for those who study the Old Testament. The literature of the city and the theology contained therein go a very long way in helping us to understand the meaning of various Biblical passages as well as …

The Bible isn't a science book, but science backs up the Bible. Nothing backs up Harry Potter and evolution (w/o natural selection). There is no abiogenesis, aliens (life on other planets or space bodies) or life from non-life. It's YOU and the atheists who believe in those the Harry Potter fantasies.

How does science back up the Bible?

As for your comment about Harry Potter, what next? Comparing our fathers' dick size?

No, they're not. Good and evil are merely human's way of explaining what goes on. Things humans think are bad are "evil" and things humans think are good are "good".

We don't know how life developed. Don't go around making up stories to explain things we don't know.
But good and evil are human ways of explaining things.
they are metaphysical forces that are responsible for the development of life and expressed through evolution.
who's we - life is a progression and became a single physiological cell with a spiritual content and has progressed into single multicellular organisms with lifespans for some of thousands of years -
1630804211220.png

there is nothing human about good and evil only the semantics, as metaphysical forces their presence determines the outcome in balance for all that exists.

who's we - life is a progression and became a single physiological cell with a spiritual content and has progressed into single multicellular organisms with lifespans for some of thousands of years -
View attachment 535120
there is nothing human about good and evil only the semantics, as metaphysical forces their presence determines the outcome in balance for all that exists.

Let me explain good and evil. (and no, I'm not an antisemite, it's an example).

The Holocaust was "evil". In a period of time from 1933 to 1945 about 6 million Jews died.

This was a tragedy, it was "evil", everything in decent people's bones says it was "evil".

Every year billions upon billions of animals die for human food consumption.

At 37 billion this year in the US alone. The US is what, 1/21 of the world population, though it might consume more food than other places, so we could estimate that maybe 6 trillion animals have died for food this year alone on this planet.

And it's not "evil". Apparently.

Why? Because "evil" is totally a human thing.

Omri was actually was a good king. Solomon gets credit for a lot of things Omri built.

Much of Psalms is lifted from Canaanite poetry at Ras Shamra. Noah's flood is lifted from the Gilgamesh story of Sumer and Dilmun. Moses may be lifted from the much older story of Sinuhe.

Many of the laws are lifted from the Code of Hammurabi and the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Some of the books are given named authors out of tradition. Like the Book of Daniel.

They seem to be teaching narratives and morality tales with a basic theme of redemption. That's what I meant by didactic literature.

Very important IMO, but not history. The Hebrews were not historians.. They were story tellers.
He's s infamous: "Omri did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and did more evil than all who were before him." 1 Kings 16:25

I thought you were referring to the Gilgamesh story when you mentioned "myths." The great flood is a historical and true supernatural event that destroyed the world. The Gilgamesh flood stories were based on the true event.

You seem to believe anything that belittles the Bible.

View attachment 535120
>>there is nothing human about good and evil only the semantics, as metaphysical forces their presence determines the outcome in balance for all that exists.<<

More atheist weirdness???!!!???!!! It's not even a good sentence. Who knows what he means?

science is "fact" based on observation. The bible records facts as
observed AT THE TIME
Also based on experiments, but I never learned it as those "at the time." The experiments are repeatable. Observations may or may not be repeatable.

How does science back up the Bible?

As for your comment about Harry Potter, what next? Comparing our fathers' dick size?
Besides DNA, we know that the Bible says the universe had a beginning. Atheist scientists did not agree and believed in an eternal universe until the CMB was discoveredit and we knew the universe had a beginning, possibly with a big bang or expansion.

The ape-humans to humans hypothesis was debunked with the advancements in genetics. Modern science has shown we are descended from one man and one woman. Bible states we are of one blood.

The Bible states that animals were created by God "after their kind." We only have animals that reproduce within their own kind. It isn't true that animals evolve into some other kind of animal, i.e. monkeys do not become ape-humans nor kangaroos. Look at the definition of science above :biggrin:

Forum List

Back