Zone1 Beggars at the Intersection: How do you feel about them? What do you do?

These days I use plastic money. I just tell the ones who come up and ask for money that I don't have any. No lie. They should have a 'Square' for their I Phones. But then........

A bunch of incoherent gobbledygook. The solution to homelessness is simple and anyone with a half-brain knows it. Drug rehab, a good caseworker/social worker, regular drug testing, permanent housing, counseling, medical care, job training, and employment opportunities. That's the process or track to success. If they start drugging again, you institutionalize them again. That's the way you keep them off the street. Laws have to be enacted to give local and state governments the authority to force people into rehab camps and psych wards, when they're homeless and refuse to stop drugging and don't take care of their housing. You impose strict rules, and structure, into their lives, with light at the end of the tunnel.

"Do you see that light over there? That's you, clean and sober, healthy, with housing and a good-paying job. That's you over there, back on your feet, with your family."

You give them hope. There's a destination, a better life ahead. Something to focus on and work for. Saying that we should leave people out in the street, only leads to more unnecessary pain and suffering for everyone, not to speak of the high cost of homelessness on society. Each homeless person costs tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars monthly. Property damage, theft, court costs, medical emergencies, loss of business, decreases in property value..etc.
Rehab camps and psych wards. Yep. That will do it.

Rehab camps and psych wards. Yep. That will do it.

You reduced everything I said to drug rehab and psych wards. So now you're just being disingenuous, ignoring most of what I said and facetiously misrepresenting it. Your "solution" is to leave people out in the street causing costly damage and havoc.

What did I say that was anti-semitic?

Nothing. They just throw out that claim no matter what the issue is. They know nothing about Judaism, Israeli culture, or anything else, but they think they will get extra cupcakes in Heaven if they babble 'antisemitism n stuff' any time some Jewish person snivels; they think all Jews are alike and they have a bizarre belief that today's Orthodox and Hasidim are the Jews of the Old Testament. They aren't, and the vast majority aren't even related to the Jews of those days, genetically or theologically.

They claim to be "Bible Believing Christians" or Jewish (God's Chosen People), but they flippantly dismiss the needs of the homeless and refuse to obey the Biblical God. They love their mammon, their money, more than God and His commandments. .

The homeless guy on the corner might like a sandwich and a bottle of water...

In the past two years, I have noticed an epidemic of people begging at major intersections in my city. At a big four-way stop, you'll see them at all four medians. They're working in tandem. All have cardboard signs. All begging for help.

What do you do about it?

My first impulse is anger. I'm angry that they're implicitly lying about how they'll use the money, probably going for drugs or booze. The other thing is my charity solicits in front of certain stores. We have to go through a lot of red tape to get permission and permits to solicit. From the business; from the state; from the strip mall owner. And it absolutely frosts me to see these beggars at those same strip mall exits panhandling for themselves...not for charity....to buy drugs and booze. They didn't ask permission from anyone. It angers me even more when dunderheads give them money.

Now as a Christian, I wrestle with this. I feel bad that I get angry. I've talked to two priests about this. Both said I shouldn't get angry. One said that rather than give them money, I should engage with them and offer to accompany them to a restaurant and have a meal with them. The other priest said I should be pleasant and treat them like a human being, though I don't have to give them anything. He said "How rotten must their lives be that they would stand out there, regardless of what they do with the money?" He had a point. People addicted to drug or alcohol are not happy or well people. Anger isn't the proper response.

One time I did as the first priest instructed. The very next day after I talked to him, I was sitting in the parking lot at Lowe's looking at my phone. A woman tapped on my window and asked for money for something to eat. I thought it was divine providence. So I offered to go into the Kroger's and get her some fruit and bread and such. But that wasn't what she had in mind. She wanted to eat at the Sonic across the way. So I said fine and let her order. She got a meal deal with fries and a drink. I bristled at what I considered a junk meal, but went with it. I paid $8.64. Trying to make conversation, I asked her name. She refused to tell me. We talked a little bit about her circumstance. Everyone in her life was a f*cking asshole by her account. At the end, she asked for money. I declined. She thanked me for the meal and went on her way .

Pope Francis when asked the question, said he would not only talk to a beggar kindly, he would give them money. He said "So what if the person wants to buy a glass of wine. Who among us doesn't have a guilty pleasure?" I don't see it that way. I see it as enabling an addiction. I was talking to a woman who works in the ABC stores. She said she'll see these guys who were out panhandling come in with stacks of bills to buy liquor. Homeless professionals advise people to NOT give beggars money, that you can give them vouchers for the local shelter. It is a fact that most homeless are not beggars, and most beggars are not homeless.

So how did I feel after my encounter with the woman at Lowe's? Ambivalent. I felt sort of good, but also sort of like a sucker. Probably more the latter. I definitely didn't like getting her a junk meal, but I guess that wasn't the point. I liked that she seemed appreciative, and may it did help her a little. But I decided I probably would do it again if given the same circumstance, at least not in the same way.

I have softened recently, when I considered the plight of a neighbor girl my daughter's age who fell into drugs. Nice family, good neighborhood. But she just went bad. Now they don't know where she lives. She has a child her parents have adopted and take care of. What if it was this neighbor girl whom I've know since she was six who I saw pandhandling on the street corner? I wouldn't be angry then. I would feel compassion and sorrow. I'd ask her if she needed anything or to be driven somewhere. But I wouldn't give her any money.

Any thoughts about this topic?
I usually buy food and give it to them. If they truly are hungry they will eat the food. I know a couple old men who truly are homeless that I regularly give them food and they eat it.

I generally try not to run over them. I think that is my big concern, safety.

I always try to give at least some food to the homeless when I see them. I always think of these verses from the Bible.

Matthew 25:42-46​

42 For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink. 43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

44 “Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?’

45 “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’

46 “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life.”

I roll down my window ask how it’s going and ask if they could give me a couple bucks for food.

Forum List

Back