Are all the military ships, planes and tanks going to run on batteries?

And what about the commercial planes, 18 wheelers, bulldozers and graders?

I think I read the dems want to run planes on algae oil. Or better yet they want to cancel airflights. Tesla has electric 18 wheelers. But don't know how practical they are.

If the dems put the cancel culture on fossil fuels what will we pave our roads with? Concrete is not practical for everything. That is why we have asphalt...which is crude oil based.

The dems don't seem to think things through...as in abolish the police.

If the filthy dems pulled the plug on fossil fuels overnight you would have a massive die off. We built our world on fossil fuels, pulling the plug on fossil fuels is disaster without fungible replacements.

View attachment 407502

Heavy Trucks are the next think on the chopping block. By 2025, a new class of battery will be available. Right now, the Lip04s density versus weight means that you will need more battery than cargo to make it 600 miles. There are some really creative batteries in testing right now but won't be in production before 2025 that have at least 5 times the power density of the best battery on the market today. Plus, the battery charges in minutes instead of ours since there is no chemical reaction involved. Right now, the Tesla Heavy only has somewhere between a 250 to 350 mile range with an 80K payload and it takes about 5 hours to recharge. With 5 times the power density per weight, that means that the new battery can make a 1500 mile run without recharging or stopping for fuel. If it's a human driver then the Driver is the limiting factor for his food, piss and no more than 10 hours on the road. Considering that the Automous won't be ready well past 2025, I look for more buddy driving and piss tubes.

MOST of the fuel burnt for transportation is done by Cars and light trucks. Those can already be replaced. Many metro bus companies have been headed to Electric for the last 10 years because they can drive them all day without charging. A Metro Bus spends almost as much time stopped and if the bus is stopped, there is no current being sent to the motor. Even the newest Hummer is an EV. Then add the Mustang EV to that list. I'll still be driving my Hemi Grocery Getter and I won't be around to see it go almost all electric but it's coming fast.

As for Heavy Planes, there are a couple of 20 passenger electrics on the market now. For the same reason that shot hops of 300 miles or less, Turboprops work better, the Electric Medium can do even a better job. Limiting factor? The Batteries but that's changing fast. But for long hauls, the Turbo Fan rules that and it can run on just about anything from gasoline to diesel to cooking oil to anything else that can have carbon extracted from it. Much of the Jet Fuel today isn't out of the wells. It's from other sources including Shale and Vegetables and grains.

For Reference I go to the ones that require a bit more from their fuel. The US Navy both in the air and on their Gas Turbine Ships and Boats.

Navy Tests 100-percent Advanced Biofuel – October 17, 2016
And remember, this was done in 2016. The Navy calls it "Green Flag" where they run a 50/50 blend and also the 100% synthetic. The fuel is nicknamed "Beef Fat". And the only difference between the bio fuels and the petro fuels is the price. With the cost of Petro Fuels at an all time low, I don't see the pure bio fuels being used other than testing. But if the Petro Fuel goes up in price, that smell of french fries may not be coming from the microwave in the galley. And now, this includes Commercial Planes. JP5 is being made from both Petro and Bio. The only difference is, one has a red tint to it and the other is clear. The Engines could care less which one is being used. Just remember this, at one time Shale was too expensive to process but they now have the processing down competing with the rock low Petro prices. It may end being the same for the Bio Fuels as well later.
Idiot whether or not you have a battery isn't the point. The point is that the battery has to be charged through a long chain of conversations which each introduce, loss and wasted energy typically as heat. The tooth fairy doesn't put the electricity in the wall socket, it has to be generated and transmitted over wires and then converted yet again though other inefficient methods that introduce loss before the battery is charged then converted yet again a couple of times before the vehicles can move an inch.

It's easy to imagine some Luddite in 1837 wondering of the folly of lighting our homes with thunderbolts as he wrote by whale oil light.

Oil is a finite substance. We will run out of it. If we took oil out of ground transportation, think of the oil we will save. Think about the pollution that will be mitigated.

If you invented a car for the first time this year, would you involve an internal combustion engine, or battery power? Would there be a crankcase and spark plugs and fuel injection?

Think of where battery technology is today compared to sixty years ago. Then, lead acid batteries leaked and had to be filled with acid. C and D cell batteries rotted and corroded flashlights and radios. When was the last time you bought a lantern battery with the conical springmterminals?

Electric transportation is the future. It's as silly to dismiss it today as it was to dismiss electric light 150 years ago.

I think I read the dems want to run planes on algae oil. Or better yet they want to cancel airflights. Tesla has electric 18 wheelers. But don't know how practical they are.

If the dems put the cancel culture on fossil fuels what will we pave our roads with? Concrete is not practical for everything. That is why we have asphalt...which is crude oil based.

If the filthy dems pulled the plug on fossil fuels overnight you would have a massive die off. We built our world on fossil fuels, pulling the plug on fossil fuels is disaster without fungible replacements.

View attachment 407502
There are groups of super smart folks thinking this stuff through right now. Several companies have large freight trucks either in development or already in production. I would imagine were quite aways away from electric passenger planes and the military will probably stick with oil until there is something with equivalent power to weight ratio and portability of supply. Nobody is talking about doing this in the next few days, the plan is the next few decades.

Actually, in the 70s, a new motor came out from a Denver Based company. It was a 40 hp electric motor using Rare Earth Magnets brushless. The DOD put a hold on it and buried it for about 20 years. They wanted to build an electric tank without all that hydraulic plumbing and gears for the turrent and running gears. Instead of hydraulics operating the power to turn the mechanical gears, they just replaced the gears and idlers with the electric motors. And could use either Deisel or Turbine to power an Alternator for power. The Tank would have been 1/2 the height of the normal tank and would have used a popup barrel and optics. But the XM-1 put the cybosh on that idea. For some stupid reason, the magnets were produced for Aurora and Tyco HO Slot Cars in the 70s. I never did understand that one.

Now give it a batter that is built into the entire hull or takes up the same space that the Turbine or the Diesel occupied where it's not using any Liquid for transfer of electrons and you have a very fast tank, low visible, and you won't give up any range. Yes, the next 5 years are going to be very, very interesting. I suspect it will surface as a tracked scout first.

View attachment 407502

Heavy Trucks are the next think on the chopping block. By 2025, a new class of battery will be available. Right now, the Lip04s density versus weight means that you will need more battery than cargo to make it 600 miles. There are some really creative batteries in testing right now but won't be in production before 2025 that have at least 5 times the power density of the best battery on the market today. Plus, the battery charges in minutes instead of ours since there is no chemical reaction involved. Right now, the Tesla Heavy only has somewhere between a 250 to 350 mile range with an 80K payload and it takes about 5 hours to recharge. With 5 times the power density per weight, that means that the new battery can make a 1500 mile run without recharging or stopping for fuel. If it's a human driver then the Driver is the limiting factor for his food, piss and no more than 10 hours on the road. Considering that the Automous won't be ready well past 2025, I look for more buddy driving and piss tubes.

MOST of the fuel burnt for transportation is done by Cars and light trucks. Those can already be replaced. Many metro bus companies have been headed to Electric for the last 10 years because they can drive them all day without charging. A Metro Bus spends almost as much time stopped and if the bus is stopped, there is no current being sent to the motor. Even the newest Hummer is an EV. Then add the Mustang EV to that list. I'll still be driving my Hemi Grocery Getter and I won't be around to see it go almost all electric but it's coming fast.

As for Heavy Planes, there are a couple of 20 passenger electrics on the market now. For the same reason that shot hops of 300 miles or less, Turboprops work better, the Electric Medium can do even a better job. Limiting factor? The Batteries but that's changing fast. But for long hauls, the Turbo Fan rules that and it can run on just about anything from gasoline to diesel to cooking oil to anything else that can have carbon extracted from it. Much of the Jet Fuel today isn't out of the wells. It's from other sources including Shale and Vegetables and grains.

For Reference I go to the ones that require a bit more from their fuel. The US Navy both in the air and on their Gas Turbine Ships and Boats.

Navy Tests 100-percent Advanced Biofuel – October 17, 2016
And remember, this was done in 2016. The Navy calls it "Green Flag" where they run a 50/50 blend and also the 100% synthetic. The fuel is nicknamed "Beef Fat". And the only difference between the bio fuels and the petro fuels is the price. With the cost of Petro Fuels at an all time low, I don't see the pure bio fuels being used other than testing. But if the Petro Fuel goes up in price, that smell of french fries may not be coming from the microwave in the galley. And now, this includes Commercial Planes. JP5 is being made from both Petro and Bio. The only difference is, one has a red tint to it and the other is clear. The Engines could care less which one is being used. Just remember this, at one time Shale was too expensive to process but they now have the processing down competing with the rock low Petro prices. It may end being the same for the Bio Fuels as well later.
Idiot whether or not you have a battery isn't the point. The point is that the battery has to be charged through a long chain of conversations which each introduce, loss and wasted energy typically as heat. The tooth fairy doesn't put the electricity in the wall socket, it has to be generated and transmitted over wires and then converted yet again though other inefficient methods that introduce loss before the battery is charged then converted yet again a couple of times before the vehicles can move an inch.

I stopped reading at your first word. I'll talk to you after the election. Maybe you will have picked up some manners by then. Say goodnight Gracie.

View attachment 407502
The emissions from the military pale in comparison to those of every day life.

So we could let the military run on fossil fuels and reduce emissions everywhere else.

But let's not forget that the biggest ships in the Navy and probably our most important strategic assets, nuclear missile submarines all run on nuclear power.

We should be running our grid on nuclear power as well.

It's easy to imagine some Luddite in 1837 wondering of the folly of lighting our homes with thunderbolts as he wrote by whale oil light.

Oil is a finite substance. We will run out of it. If we took oil out of ground transportation, think of the oil we will save. Think about the pollution that will be mitigated.

If you invented a car for the first time this year, would you involve an internal combustion engine, or battery power? Would there be a crankcase and spark plugs and fuel injection?

Think of where battery technology is today compared to sixty years ago. Then, lead acid batteries leaked and had to be filled with acid. C and D cell batteries rotted and corroded flashlights and radios. When was the last time you bought a lantern battery with the conical springmterminals?

Electric transportation is the future. It's as silly to dismiss it today as it was to dismiss electric light 150 years ago.

What's funny, the electric car from right around the year 2000 had not much more speed and had the same range as the Electric Car in 1901. We've come a long ways in the last 19 years.

View attachment 407502
Batteries are getting better fast and many ships already run on electric motors. It is the future. Oil is a finite and very valuable commodity, it is nuts to burn it.
Oil is not finite. You clowns have been claiming we were going to run out of oilorthe last 40-50 years. We keep finding more, and old wells that were used up suddenly produce oil again years later.
Oil is finite. It takes millions of years to create so, unless you are very patient, the earth has as much oil in it as it will ever have.

On the other hand we will never run out of oil. What we will run out of is cheap oil. It costs the Saudis about 25 cents to produce a barrel of oil. The old wells suddenly produce oil again years later because the price of oil has gone up enough to make it profitable. The same is true for fracking. It can get us more oil so long as the price remains high. Basic economics says that eventually the price of a barrel will be so high that it will be replaced by a cheaper energy source. We will never run out of it but it will not be used as fuel.

Not accurate...

Oil has been found by the Russians below 7 miles blowing the prior biomass theories out of the water. It may be a tectonic product....in fact the previously empty wells are refilling.

We will move into the next stage long before we see any real oil shortages.
Nothing in your link conflicts with what I wrote.

I have no clue as to what you think is the importance of the Russian oil.

View attachment 407502

Jet engines will never be battery powered...the physics are not possible.
We may be able to run
Short distance cargo trucks.
The range would be severely limited unless they are fuel cell.

Jo

Who said anything about Electric Jet Engines. In case you didn't know, Airliners have slow down from the DC-8 days. Now a 737 flies at about 580mph. to fly faster costs excess fuel and puts unnecessary strain on the air frame, engines and wings. And it only does it for a short time unless it's on an over the water flight. It gets about 10% of it's thrust from the Engine exhaust being a Turbofan. The rest is from the Ducted Fan.

Do you see where I am going here? At lower speeds, the Ducted Fan isn't as efficient as the Prop but at higher speeds it's more efficient but requires more power to operate. And it doesn't matter what the powerplant that is driving it. Remember, a Prop can hit over 500 mph if you give it enough juice without the blade tips going supersonic. It can break over 620 mph if you allow the blade tips to go supersonic but man the racket (the Thunder Streak). The Russian Bear also runs supersonic tips it's the loudest bird in the sky. And it's just below the B-52 in speed.

Now put the blades in a duct. They are much quieter and you can push more power to them. Hence, they should be able to run just under the 737 for speed. I would venture that they would be able to hit somewhere between 520 and 550 but do it much more economical. So you get there 15 minutes later. Remember, we are talking about Capitalists who are there to make money. And here you think they are there for you. Nope, they are there for the bottom line. And the bottom line is, when the new batteries come out by 2025, look for some mighty big changes.

But don't look for the run from LA to Melborne or the run from NY to Tokyo to go electric. Some things just won't change.

Somebody asked about military planes and I responded. You are correct of course about the speed and the power ratios...
The exponent of friction drag hits a much steeper curve after a certain point..... apparently you are familiar with that...

Point is that the density of available conversion units in hydrocarbon combustion cannot be matched with a battery supply at the same weight to power proportions.

Jo

Last edited:

View attachment 407502
Batteries are getting better fast and many ships already run on electric motors. It is the future. Oil is a finite and very valuable commodity, it is nuts to burn it.
Oil is not finite. You clowns have been claiming we were going to run out of oilorthe last 40-50 years. We keep finding more, and old wells that were used up suddenly produce oil again years later.
Oil is finite. It takes millions of years to create so, unless you are very patient, the earth has as much oil in it as it will ever have.

On the other hand we will never run out of oil. What we will run out of is cheap oil. It costs the Saudis about 25 cents to produce a barrel of oil. The old wells suddenly produce oil again years later because the price of oil has gone up enough to make it profitable. The same is true for fracking. It can get us more oil so long as the price remains high. Basic economics says that eventually the price of a barrel will be so high that it will be replaced by a cheaper energy source. We will never run out of it but it will not be used as fuel.

Not accurate...

Oil has been found by the Russians below 7 miles blowing the prior biomass theories out of the water. It may be a tectonic product....in fact the previously empty wells are refilling.

We will move into the next stage long before we see any real oil shortages.
Nothing in your link conflicts with what I wrote.

I have no clue as to what you think is the importance of the Russian oil.
There is no such thing as Russian oil. There is however a depth limit at which the standard theory of biomass decomposition becomes impossible to maintain.

Suffice it to say that seven miles is beyond that limit. The Russians just happened to be the first ones to achieve that.

Jo

I don't know of anyone that thinks in those terms because nothing in industry just dies out overnight.
Democrats will bust a nut trying if they get in power

after all they think the alternative is the destruction of Mother Earth

View attachment 407502

We may be able to run

Jo

Who said anything about Electric Jet Engines. In case you didn't know, Airliners have slow down from the DC-8 days. Now a 737 flies at about 580mph. to fly faster costs excess fuel and puts unnecessary strain on the air frame, engines and wings. And it only does it for a short time unless it's on an over the water flight. It gets about 10% of it's thrust from the Engine exhaust being a Turbofan. The rest is from the Ducted Fan.

Do you see where I am going here? At lower speeds, the Ducted Fan isn't as efficient as the Prop but at higher speeds it's more efficient but requires more power to operate. And it doesn't matter what the powerplant that is driving it. Remember, a Prop can hit over 500 mph if you give it enough juice without the blade tips going supersonic. It can break over 620 mph if you allow the blade tips to go supersonic but man the racket (the Thunder Streak). The Russian Bear also runs supersonic tips it's the loudest bird in the sky. And it's just below the B-52 in speed.

Now put the blades in a duct. They are much quieter and you can push more power to them. Hence, they should be able to run just under the 737 for speed. I would venture that they would be able to hit somewhere between 520 and 550 but do it much more economical. So you get there 15 minutes later. Remember, we are talking about Capitalists who are there to make money. And here you think they are there for you. Nope, they are there for the bottom line. And the bottom line is, when the new batteries come out by 2025, look for some mighty big changes.

But don't look for the run from LA to Melborne or the run from NY to Tokyo to go electric. Some things just won't change.

Somebody asked about military planes and I responded. You are correct of course about the speed and the power ratios...
The exponent of friction drag hits a much steeper curve after a certain point..... apparently you are familiar with that...

Point is that the density of available conversion units in hydrocarbon combustion cannot be matched with a battery supply at the same weight to power proportions.

Jo

It can today for short flights of not more than 2 hours with a safety time built in. Electrics are already qualified for light planes. And they are on the market. They are also comparable in pricing with the same size of Avgas birds. But the Avgas Bird can do up to 3 or 4 hours without a safety margin. In the end, the light AVGAS plane is just marginally better. But due to the infrastructure, it can turn faster. With a 120 volt charge, the Electric can turn in 4 to 5 hours. With a 240 volt charge, it can turn in less than an hour. But with the new battery systems that are awaiting approval for use, the turn time will be less than 5 minutes charge from a power cart and you won't need to do all the fuel safety methods. In the end, the Light Plane and Medium Electric will be the equal of the Avgas and JP-5 version in turn time. Yes, 2025 there are going to be some changes on the less than 700 mile flights on light and medium planes that use electrics. Commuters will all of a sudden become profitable. Capitalists will be happy.

View attachment 407502

We may be able to run

Jo

Jo

It can today for short flights of not more than 2 hours with a safety time built in. Electrics are already qualified for light planes. And they are on the market. They are also comparable in pricing with the same size of Avgas birds. But the Avgas Bird can do up to 3 or 4 hours without a safety margin. In the end, the light AVGAS plane is just marginally better. But due to the infrastructure, it can turn faster. With a 120 volt charge, the Electric can turn in 4 to 5 hours. With a 240 volt charge, it can turn in less than an hour. But with the new battery systems that are awaiting approval for use, the turn time will be less than 5 minutes charge from a power cart and you won't need to do all the fuel safety methods. In the end, the Light Plane and Medium Electric will be the equal of the Avgas and JP-5 version in turn time. Yes, 2025 there are going to be some changes on the less than 700 mile flights on light and medium planes that use electrics. Commuters will all of a sudden become profitable. Capitalists will be happy.

I presume these are props

Jo

View attachment 407502

The entire nation is going to be powered by Flower Power.

And if you have a problem with that, you are an evil misogynist and want to destroy the planet.

Forum List

Back