And This is why Young Men want to play the guitar.

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I just watched this movie and I really enjoyed it if you haven't seen it yet take a look.

This scene made me laugh because it's what every boy who learns a song on the guitar wants to happen.

I just watched this movie and I really enjoyed it if you haven't seen it yet take a look.

This scene made me laugh because it's what every boy who learns a song on the guitar wants to happen.

Played 30 years, myself. I was living the dream until one day, I realized it was all out of sibling rivalry with my brother. He now collects old Fender and Marshall amps and Fender and Gibson guitars, and has built several of his own guitars, but was never interested in playing professionally.

I can't pick one up for 10 minutes without getting bored with it. But I do like finding them at garage sales, restringing them, setting the string height and intonation, and reselling them. Except most of what you find these days is crap. All the good ones are gone.

I can remember seeing well-used stock late-60's Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters in the music stores and pawn shops, back in the mid-70's. Nobody wanted those anymore: They wanted guitars with split coils and active electronics. You could pick up the old Stars and Teles for about $100.

I'd be rich now if I had every guitar I've ever owned: Strats, Teles, Gibson SG, Les Paul Jr., Gibson Firebird, ESTD-335, Fender Jazz and Precision basses, Les Paul Recording bass, clear Lucite Dan Armstrong Ampeg guitar, and just about every amplifier you can think of. The best Fender amp was the Twin Reverb: 100 Watts RMS into two 12" speakers, and I was running two of them in stereo. Also had a Marshall JCM-800 with a single stack.

Effect pedals out the wazoo. The best ones were made by Electro-Harmonix, designed to make any guitar player sound like things that Jimi Hendrix did only with a guitar, amp, basic overdrive pedal, and an analog looped-tape echo machine.

The early fuzz pedals made in Japan are bringing up to $250 on Ebay these days, if you can find one.

<sitting in rocking chair reminiscing>

That same exact thing happened to me when I was 14 and I learned my first song. Well, it happened in my mind, anyway.

Played 30 years, myself. I was living the dream until one day, I realized it was all out of sibling rivalry with my brother. He now collects old Fender and Marshall amps and Fender and Gibson guitars, and has built several of his own guitars, but was never interested in playing professionally.

I can't pick one up for 10 minutes without getting bored with it. But I do like finding them at garage sales, restringing them, setting the string height and intonation, and reselling them. Except most of what you find these days is crap. All the good ones are gone.

I can remember seeing well-used stock late-60's Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters in the music stores and pawn shops, back in the mid-70's. Nobody wanted those anymore: They wanted guitars with split coils and active electronics. You could pick up the old Stars and Teles for about $100.

I'd be rich now if I had every guitar I've ever owned: Strats, Teles, Gibson SG, Les Paul Jr., Gibson Firebird, ESTD-335, Fender Jazz and Precision basses, Les Paul Recording bass, clear Lucite Dan Armstrong Ampeg guitar, and just about every amplifier you can think of. The best Fender amp was the Twin Reverb: 100 Watts RMS into two 12" speakers, and I was running two of them in stereo. Also had a Marshall JCM-800 with a single stack.

Effect pedals out the wazoo. The best ones were made by Electro-Harmonix, designed to make any guitar player sound like things that Jimi Hendrix did only with a guitar, amp, basic overdrive pedal, and an analog looped-tape echo machine.

The early fuzz pedals made in Japan are bringing up to $250 on Ebay these days, if you can find one.

I used to buy play and sell guitars all the time. The typical obsession that a lot of players have but then I found The One for me. My Strat is my number one. I picked up a Gibson Les Paul Studio that I really enjoy too. I also recently got a Fender PJ Bass that I'm having a blast with. Add in my Martin acoustic and that's my entire stable.

The only thing I might want now is a lap steel.

And I love EHX pedals. The Soul Food OD is my always on tone shaper.

I had a serious case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) in my younger years but now I am of the less is more school when it comes to effects. I actually would rather drive a low watt amp to the max and mic it rather than a play through big wattage a stack these days as well.

What about girls who play ?

I love girls that play as well but it's harder to impress them with a simple song.

I don't think you'll get a girl who can rip to jump you for playing a song with a couple chords

I used to buy play and sell guitars all the time. The typical obsession that a lot of players have but then I found The One for me. My Strat is my number one. I picked up a Gibson Les Paul Studio that I really enjoy too. I also recently got a Fender PJ Bass that I'm having a blast with. Add in my Martin acoustic and that's my entire stable.

I had a serious case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) in my younger years but now I am of the less is more school when it comes to effects. I actually would rather drive a low watt amp to the max and mic it rather than a play through big wattage a stack these days as well.

This was the last decent guitar I owned back in 2005, except it was black and had the two-point fulcrum tailpiece, instead. There's nothing better than a maple neck.

Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster - Pewter with Maple Fingerboard

This is a pic of the most expensive guitar I wish I still owned.
ESP KH2 with pearl skull inlays and active emg's... not the actual one here;

1604593103016.png

And this Washburn is about the closest to a Strat- sounding guitar I've ever had.
1604593189179.png

This was the last decent guitar I owned back in 2005, except it was black and had the two-point fulcrum tailpiece, instead. There's nothing better than a maple neck.

Fender Eric Clapton Stratocaster - Pewter with Maple Fingerboard

I like a maple neck too. People say it's brighter than a rosewood neck but I could never tell. I think maple feels better under the fingers and it looks good too.

Forum List

Back