After concealing her race, Black Indianapolis owner's home value more than doubled

The result? Carlette Duffy's appraised value more than doubled.

Duffy’s home, which was assessed by different companies in 2020, was first appraised at $125,000, then $110,000 and finally $259,000 in November, according to the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana. The nonprofit announced this month that it had filed housing discrimination complaints on Duffy’s behalf with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Amy Nelson, executive director of the group representing Duffy, said it's “heartbreaking” that the homeowner had to do so much to secure a fair appraisal.

There is no such thing as racism in this country.

Here house was just low balled because she works for the wrong person.

Smfh.
But I thought Republicans said that there's no such thing as systemic racism.

This is your proof? :auiqs.jpg: This is why you people aren't taken seriously by most others.

So... in a nutshell..

The story, as previously thought, is bullshit.
After finding the real story on the Indianapolis Star, it links to the homes location.
It is not worth anywhere near $259,000. Not-even-close.

If she goes through with the loan from an obvious predatory lending institution - she will be financially ruined.
And then everyone will cry racsim for giving her a bad loan she will never recover from.

In the OP it states she was applying so she could refinance the house. She was probably trying to get a lower interest rate. If she does that, it might save her money depending on paperwork costs, closing costs, and length of the loan which I"m guessing is 30 years.

There is no way her house, which she bought for 100K in 2017, is worth 2.5 time more when the last appraisal was done in Nov 2020.....unless she did major renovations to it. That appraisal was also done 6 and 8 months after the other 2. Other homes nearby could have been renovated and sale comps could have reached 250K, but her house is not worth that is her house does not have similar renovations.
I don't know --- the Wall Street Journal is running a lot of articles this spring about how much house prices have suddenly gone up. And what a shortage in housing there is.

My guess is that no racism was involved, just house prices rapidly rising from insufficient supply, and inflation, which is also rising rapidly.

Of course this woman just HAS to claim racism, sheeeeeeeeesh.

No it's the price of lumber for new construction that is driving up used house prices. A wall stud, which was 2 dollars 2 years ago is selling for 7 dollars each at Lowes.

Duffy’s home, which was assessed by different companies in 2020, was first appraised at $125,000, then $110,000 and finally $259,000 in November, according to the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana. The nonprofit announced this month that it had filed housing discrimination complaints on Duffy’s behalf with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Amy Nelson, executive director of the group representing Duffy, said it's “heartbreaking” that the homeowner had to do so much to secure a fair appraisal.

Smfh.

This is your proof? :auiqs.jpg: This is why you people aren't taken seriously by most others.
Anyone taking MarcATL or Superbrotha seriously is mentally challenged.

Smfh.

Makes perfect sense, Indianapolis is of course a blue city, and this is the kind of stuff DemoKKKrats do.

Smfh.

It costs a lot to get the grape soda, chicken grease stains, and hair relaxer stains out of the carpet and furniture. :(

Smfh.

Anyone taking MarcATL or Superbrotha seriously is mentally challenged.
I bet if they wore skin makeup to make them look white, things would REALLY improve.

Eddie Murphy proved it in this video White Like Me:

Somebody should invest in the skin makeup industry. This will really improve the plight of black folks.

Smfh.

Here you go. It's just the first page of a search I did on the subject. There are over 87 million results using the keywords "republicans say there is no systematic racism in America." The thing is, you could have done that search. It took only seconds:
Sure, I could have, but it's entirely irrelevant to my comment. Try to keep up next time.

Smfh.

Here you go. It's just the first page of a search I did on the subject. There are over 87 million results using the keywords "republicans say there is no systematic racism in America." The thing is, you could have done that search. It took only seconds:
Sure, I could have, but it's entirely irrelevant to my comment. Try to keep up next time.

Yes I misread your post which is why I deleted mine.

Smfh.
I call bullshit. Assuming everything is true in the article, homes in black or white neighborhoods don’t go from $100K to $259K in 3 years right now. And I am unaware of any predominantly black neighborhoods that are considered so desirable to live in you can almost triple your money in 3 years.

I call bullshit. Assuming everything is true in the article, homes in black or white neighborhoods don’t go from $100K to $259K in 3 years. And I am unaware of any predominantly black neighborhoods that are considered so desirable to live in you can almost triple your money in 3 years.
Doesn't matter to them.
The story raises eyebrows upon even the most basic critique. For the exact reason you state.
Now that we know the neighborhood of the home... we see the homes in her immediate area are listed between $80k - $125k.
It is complete garbage

There is no way her house, which she bought for 100K in 2017, is worth 2.5 time more when the last appraisal was done in Nov 2020.....unless she did major renovations to it. That appraisal was also done 6 and 8 months after the other 2. Other homes nearby could have been renovated and sale comps could have reached 250K, but her house is not worth that is her house does not have similar renovations.
I don't know --- the Wall Street Journal is running a lot of articles this spring about how much house prices have suddenly gone up. And what a shortage in housing there is.

My guess is that no racism was involved, just house prices rapidly rising from insufficient supply, and inflation, which is also rising rapidly.

Of course this woman just HAS to claim racism, sheeeeeeeeesh.

No it's the price of lumber for new construction that is driving up used house prices. A wall stud, which was 2 dollars 2 years ago is selling for 7 dollars each at Lowes.
Yeah, but I live in a veeeery nice neighborhood filled with white collar professionals and my home value has gone up 25% in 3 years. Going up 259% in a black neighborhood in the same time period? Pffft.

I call bullshit. Assuming everything is true in the article, homes in black or white neighborhoods don’t go from $100K to $259K in 3 years. And I am unaware of any predominantly black neighborhoods that are considered so desirable to live in you can almost triple your money in 3 years.
Doesn't matter to them.
The story raises eyebrows upon even the most basic critique. For the exact reason you state.
Now that we know the neighborhood of the home... we see the homes in her immediate area are listed between $80k - $125k.
It is complete garbage
Yep. Read the fake headlines and move on.

Smfh.
I call bullshit.
She paid $100,000 for the home 3 years ago.
It is supposed to have almost tripled value although she did nothing to it???
yeah... bullshit.
What is the house's address?
Flanner is a planned development from years ago, 16th St to the North, 10th to the South, Fall Creek to the West, MLK St to the East. Has 200-300 homes and a High School Crispus Attucks. No house has ever sold for 259K there. Her last appraisal comps is from a brand new development where new construction is 250K-300K. Called Riverside,

She has a bad appraisal. Nobody would bey her house for that price when you have a brand new hood being developed.
Exactly.
That whole area is blighted.
The woman is going to be so underwater in her loan it is pathetic.
And then when she wants to sell - she will cry racism that they processed a loan leaving her in financial ruin.
Or she'll take the money and just walk away from the place.

I call bullshit. Assuming everything is true in the article, homes in black or white neighborhoods don’t go from $100K to $259K in 3 years right now. And I am unaware of any predominantly black neighborhoods that are considered so desirable to live in you can almost triple your money in 3 years.
Did the individual referenced in the OP live in a predominantly black neighborhood.

BTW, the fact that there's such a thing as white and/or black neighborhoods is more evidence to the depths of how insidious systemic racism is.

Forum List

Back