Mississippi man sentenced to more than 3 years in prison for burning a cross to intimidate Black family

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
AMississippi man has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for burning a cross in his front yard to intimidate a Black family, according to a news release from the US Justice Department.

Axel Cox, 24, was sentenced to 42 months in connection to the cross burning, which happened in December 2020 and violated the Fair Housing Act, the release said, adding Cox “admitted that he lit the cross on fire because the victims were Black and that he intended to scare them into moving out of the neighborhood.”

Justice Department leaders condemned Cox’s actions, with Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division calling them “an abhorrent act that used a traditional symbol of hatred and violence to stoke fear and drive a Black family out of their home.

According to the Justice Department, Cox “wedged two pieces of wood together to form a cross, placed it in clear view of the victims’ residence,” following a dispute with the victims and “doused it in oil and set it alight. During this incident, Cox yelled threats and racial slurs toward the occupants of the house.”
AA18xgw9.img

Was his rights violated?

Can you burn a cross on your lawn if you want to?

I'm not sure I support sending someone to jail for burning a cross on their own property. I'm not sure I could have convicted the neighbors for going over and kicking his ass when he was yelling at them.

^^^ I agree, but only to a certain extent. If more than a cross had been burned, I would understand their being nervous, but that is just it. Only a cross was burned and did the fire spread in any way? No. Therefore, why get so worked up about what actually did take place?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

^^^ I agree, but only to a certain extent. If more than a cross had been burned, I would understand their being nervous, but that is just it. Only a cross was burned and did the fire spread in any way? No. Therefore, why get so worked up about what actually did take place?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Get worked up? Over a neighbor this hateful?

AMississippi man has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for burning a cross in his front yard to intimidate a Black family, according to a news release from the US Justice Department.

Axel Cox, 24, was sentenced to 42 months in connection to the cross burning, which happened in December 2020 and violated the Fair Housing Act, the release said, adding Cox “admitted that he lit the cross on fire because the victims were Black and that he intended to scare them into moving out of the neighborhood.”

Justice Department leaders condemned Cox’s actions, with Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division calling them “an abhorrent act that used a traditional symbol of hatred and violence to stoke fear and drive a Black family out of their home.

According to the Justice Department, Cox “wedged two pieces of wood together to form a cross, placed it in clear view of the victims’ residence,” following a dispute with the victims and “doused it in oil and set it alight. During this incident, Cox yelled threats and racial slurs toward the occupants of the house.”
AA18xgw9.img

Was his rights violated?

Can you murder whoever you like on your own property? No. You still have to respect other people.

This thread is a joke; right????

Yes; the guy's a tosser and so on but as odious as the action is; jail time?? IF the only reason was because the neighbours were Black then he's a jerk. Sounds like a wind up thread!!!

Greg

How many crosses have you lit to intimidate the black folks in the neighborhood?
Dunno if this would scare Black Folk unless they were certain Protestant denominations. Funny how so many at Church are Brown with some Black...........Africans actually; not you near-White Yanks.

s-l300.jpg

Greg

Can you murder whoever you like on your own property? No. You still have to respect other people.
Burning a cross is equated to murder now and you idiots wonder why you are losing this culture war!

AA18xgw9.img

Was his rights violated?

I am betting with a better lawyer this case gets overturned because it was on his own property and not your property.

Next being White will be considered illegal and a death sentence will be mandatory by those like you.

Oh, the guy is an idiot but shouldn’t be tossed in Prison for what he did on his own property!

Forum List

Back