After concealing her race, Black Indianapolis owner's home value more than doubled

The result? Carlette Duffy's appraised value more than doubled.

Duffy’s home, which was assessed by different companies in 2020, was first appraised at $125,000, then $110,000 and finally $259,000 in November, according to the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana. The nonprofit announced this month that it had filed housing discrimination complaints on Duffy’s behalf with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Amy Nelson, executive director of the group representing Duffy, said it's “heartbreaking” that the homeowner had to do so much to secure a fair appraisal.

There is no such thing as racism in this country.

Here house was just low balled because she works for the wrong person.

Smfh.
But I thought Republicans said that there's no such thing as systemic racism.

From one flakey appraisal by a predatory lender?

Well again, the bank wants to make a loan with an applicant, but they don't make that decision. Their underwriters are the people that have the last word. The underwriters don't haggle. They send out one of their appraisal companies, and if it says the property is worth X, then that's all it's worth.

I made out like a bandit anyway. Throughout the last five years, I saved thousands of dollars on property taxes.

Of course ... And I am not arguing that you cannot save your money one way or another.
What I was saying, is that in a fluid market economy, value really has nothing to do with equality, equity or fairness.

That's with the basic understanding that the true monetary value of anything at any time ...
Is simply reduced to the amount of money someone is willing to put in your hand in exchange for the item or service.

I don't mean to get too esoteric about it ... But that is just a fact.
That monetary value can be determined by a great number of variables, but until the contract is signed, and money is exchanged ...
Assessing value is always just an exercise in self-serving interests by all the parties involved.

Duffy’s home, which was assessed by different companies in 2020, was first appraised at $125,000, then $110,000 and finally $259,000 in November, according to the Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana. The nonprofit announced this month that it had filed housing discrimination complaints on Duffy’s behalf with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Amy Nelson, executive director of the group representing Duffy, said it's “heartbreaking” that the homeowner had to do so much to secure a fair appraisal.

Smfh.

Any house ownd by a Negro is probably a dump and not worth much.
Exactly.

They should just stop being black.....but sadly, the black just won't wash off.

They are to be pitied.

Smfh.

I read that yesterday.

I hope she wins her case.

It's discrimination and needs to stop.

Smfh.
How the fuck does that work ? An agent generally works on a percentage so undervaluing cuts their fee.

No it doesn't.

Here in the United States it's a flat feel to appraise a house.

I've had several houses appraised. It's not based on the value of the house.

Smfh.

Exactly.

They are to be pitied.

It is not their color. It is their culture.

So... in a nutshell..

The story, as previously thought, is bullshit.
After finding the real story on the Indianapolis Star, it links to the homes location.
It is not worth anywhere near $259,000. Not-even-close.
If she goes through with the loan from an obvious predatory lending institution - she will be financially ruined.
And then everyone will cry racsim for giving her a bad loan she will never recover from.

Smfh.
How the fuck does that work ? An agent generally works on a percentage so undervaluing cuts their fee.

They work on a percentage of what they actually sell a property for, not an appraised value.

I read that yesterday.

She can win her case, and have her house listed at a value of $259,000.
You can rejoice in the idea systemic racism has been shown for what it is.
The monetary value of her property still won't be lower than, nor exceed, what someone else is willing to pay her for it.

Hearts and Minds people ...
Sales is a wonderful exercise, no matter what you are selling, or who you may be selling it to ... :thup:

I just tend to become a bit more skeptical when someone wants to sell me their politics rather than their product.

Smfh.
Not surprised this is in Indiana.

Smfh.
I call bullshit.
She paid $100,000 for the home 3 years ago.
It is supposed to have almost tripled value although she did nothing to it???
yeah... bullshit.
What is the house's address?
That worth jump happens in many places.

I read that yesterday.

She can win her case, and have her house listed at a value of $259,000.
You can rejoice in the idea systemic racism has been shown for what it is.
The monetary value of her property still won't be lower than, nor exceed, what someone else is willing to pay her for it.

Hearts and Minds people ...
Sales is a wonderful exercise, no matter what you are selling, or who you may be selling it to ... :thup:

I just tend to become a bit more skeptical when someone wants to sell me their politics rather than their product.

She isn't selling her house. She wants an equity loan

Smfh.
I call bullshit.
She paid $100,000 for the home 3 years ago.
It is supposed to have almost tripled value although she did nothing to it???
yeah... bullshit.
What is the house's address?
That worth jump happens in many places.
Keep reading.... Indy Star shows where the house is.
Bad neighborhood with mostly townhouses and projects.
Comp houses right where she is is selling between $80k and $125k
She has done no renovations. It isn't worth half of $259,000

Oh I get that ... But it still doesn't matter.

They can sue the bank ... They can try to make the bank sign a contract with her.
That still won't change the value of her property.

If people want to argue about what that may mean to them, it doesn't effect the actual value.
That whole argument concerns the desire to force a business into a contract it doesn't have faith in.

At that point, it truly has nothing to do with the market, or the actual value of the property.
It has everything to do with selling something based on an idea, instead of an actual value.

Oh I get that ... But it still doesn't matter.

They can sue the bank ... They can try to make the bank sign a contract with her.
That still won't change the value of her property.

If people want to argue about what that may mean to them, it doesn't effect the actual value.
That whole argument concerns the desire to force a business into a contract it doesn't have faith in.

At that point, it truly has nothing to do with the market, or the actual value of the property.
It has everything to do with selling something based on an idea, instead of an actual value.

Semantics I think, you are correct... but the story is "I acted white and got a better appraisal - therefore America is racist".
As others have pointed out, she was working through several banks - they all declined to loan her money because she had no equity. few do only 3 years after you buy it.
She ends up finding probably a predatory lender who gives her an outrageous appraisal more than double the value.
And if she gets that loan - she will be screaming racism and predatory lending when she tries to sell the house at some point and owes more than double it's worth.

Smfh.

Exactly.

They are to be pitied.

BULLSHIT. It's their color.

That black skin magically makes them inferior. Just ask them and the Dems.

Smfh.

Exactly.

They are to be pitied.

BULLSHIT. It's their color.

That black skin magically makes them inferior. Just ask them and the Dems.

1621349546142.png

Semantics I think, you are correct... but the story is "I acted white and got a better appraisal - therefore America is racist".
As others have pointed out, she was working through several banks - they all declined to loan her money because she had no equity. few do only 3 years after you buy it.
She ends up finding probably a predatory lender who gives her an outrageous appraisal more than double the value.
And if she gets that loan - she will be screaming racism and predatory lending when she tries to sell the house at some point and owes more than double it's worth.

Yeah ... But that's like the people that suggest they are on the side of Social Justice ...
While they support Collin Kaepernick though buying tennis shoes ...
Made by children under poor working conditions and slave labor.

I mean who seriously gives a fuck what any of these people are saying?
One way or another it is just self-serving bullshit that is nothing more than destructive.

The market should be able to correct itself ...
But this shit isn't a correction, just another attempt to manipulate it ...
And for no other purpose than self enrichment, through selling a bogus idea.

Whether that enrichment is financial, political, cultural or whatever ... That doesn't make it less destructive.

Forum List

Back